Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya masking tape adhesive removal

1 hour ago, DaveP said:

I've used Tamiya masking tape but when I removed it it left an adhesive residue. I don't want to mar the paint so how can I remove the gluey residue without damaging the paint?

i never had that happen..how long you leaving it on ?

16 minutes ago, ShawnS said:

Is it actually residue or is it an imprint in the paint left over from where the tape was?  If it's actually adhesive residue just use a little polishing compound. What paint are you using?

I think it's an imprint in the paint, so I guess a repaint is in order. It was rattle can stuff but went on beautifully, probably one of my better paint jobs.

Yeah I find that I can't leave Tamiya tape on for any extended period of time and definitely don't leave paint with tape on it in the sun as that will leave those marks. I did find that with Tamiya TS spray paints I can throw a couple of coats of TS13 clear over the top and the paint seems to reset itself as the clear and the paint become one and the tape marks go away.

The first time I used Tamiya masking tape I had the same problem.  I had painted a car body with Tamiya white acrylic and when I felt it was sufficiently dry, I masked off the body and airbrushed the vinyl roof with black Tamiya acrylic.  

The tape gave me great separation between the two colors, but left tracks/imprints/whatever on the body.  Luckily I had some sanding pads in several grits I was meaning to learn how to use, so I polished it, and it not only removed the tracks, it gave the paint a fantastic finish.  Try something like that before you dump it in the purple pond.