Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Edsel Convertible

hedotwo

I finished a couple of Edsel's in the past month or so.  This '58 started out as a fairly complete pre-built, lacking the hood ornament and stock wheel covers.  I did need to remove and repair a metal side-pipe exhaust and the skirts.  The side pipes were actually kind of creative for the day though.  The skirts were not fun to remove however.  These are really thick (probably the thickest I can think of) and tuck right up against the side cove lower trim piece.  Add to that the fact the original builder used plenty of glue.  I used my dremel on the passenger side skirt, which I've never had to resort to.  I made the hood ornament from strip and tubing after filling the mounting hole.   The windshield was one that required leaving in place rather than trying to remove.  Never as good as being able to remove, but saves the frame.

Lots to be happy about, while there were things I could have improved.  Eventually I'll get the hang of getting better results with Alclad/Spaz Stix on bumpers, but I'm at least improving and learning each time I use them.  Paint is Testor's Graphite Dust and a Folk Art acrylic mix of Cadmium Orange, Nutmeg, and Ivory.

IMG_7858small.jpg

File_004small.jpeg

IMG_7867small.jpg

IMG_7892small.jpg

IMG_7893small.jpg

IMG_7907small.jpg

File_000small.jpg

File_005small.jpg

IMG_8169.JPG

IMG_8171.JPG

IMG_8172.JPG

Edited by hedotwo
  • Like 1

Very nice save and fantastic result..My first model was a 58 Edsel Convertible..Painted everything except chrome/wheels/w/shield Pactra Insignia Red(small rectangular bottles)  only option I remember were the skirts..I think I used Comet plastic cement..Your beginning picture sure brought back memories..Nice restoration on your car..