Model Cars Magazine Forum

Power Screwdriver/drill

Micromark sells a battery powered screwdriver that with the optional head becomes the perfect low torque, slow speed power drill that is perfect for many things.

10C4C6A2-7EFC-4769-A96E-0B4F30D75EF1.jpeg.dbfd1266d17a89878cf7cb97d7178f2b.jpeg

i bought the additional drill chuck primarily for drill use but it will accept most dremel bits...

9172BEA4-8607-4527-93D5-9E933BB24F8C.jpeg.973f0ca699888e4ffd76b30459aa3c07.jpeg

I used a pin vise on an earlier build to drill out the rotors on a Vette. Using the pin vise, each rotor took a painstaking, hand cramping (thank you arthritis!) hour to do.

I started on my next project today and drilled out 4 rotors in about 20 minutes...

672AC165-6303-4D7F-8911-AC8532F77811.jpeg.4352528ee952c942e25d1190b2f1eae6.jpeg

No pain and very clean holes. This power screwdriver is slow so it won’t melt plastic like a variable speed drill will even on its slowest setting...and it reverses!

• Power Screwdriver - $35
  • Drill Chuck - $19
  • No hand cramps...PRICELESS!!!
Edited by BDSchindler

On 1/10/2021 at 7:45 PM, BDSchindler said:

Nope...AAA X 2

Thank you for this awesome tip! I’m getting one.

Who/where did you get the bit chuck from?

I saw some of these on eBay that are called General... look to be an exact duplicate for $10 less... I’m not familiar with power modeling tools yet, is Micromark a high quality brand?

8 hours ago, Miatatom said:

Micromark is the distributor,  not the maker of the product.

Yes, Micro-Mark is a mail-order (back in the day) and online purveyor of speciality tools for modelers.  AFAIK, they do not manufacture anything in-house, but they do have some tools  custom made for them. But many of their tools are made by other companies and simply re-badged as Micro-Mark.  For example they sell Proxxon tools as their own (or maybe copies of Proxxon tool).  Many items they sell can be found elsewhere, usually less expensive.  But if you don't feel like searching for bargains, Micro-Mark is your one-stop source for all sorts of modeling tools and supplies.

Thanks for the tip. I went to the Micro-Mark site and they have the screwdriver but the chuck is on backorder and not available right now. So, I went to Amazon and bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Yakamoz-0-7-1-2mm-Electric-Aluminum-Portable/dp/B06XGV1FYH/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Yakamoz+0.7-1.2mm+Mini+Micro+Electric+Aluminum+Hand+Portable+Handheld+Drill&qid=1610595520&s=hi&sr=1-1

I don't know if it is any good but it was $20, so I took the chance. I hope it works, I am tired of using my manual pin vise! You can buy the same screwdriver you have on Amazon for less than $20, but I didn't see the chuck there either. 

I found a chart of fractional drill size equivalents online; the Yakamoz drill's collet adjusts from 0.7 to 1.2mm. Looks like that will accept bit sizes #56 (1.1811 mm) and 3/64" (1.1913 mm) down through #70 (.7112 mm). The Micro-Mark chuck will adjust down to 1/64 (.3962 mm); that will accept smaller bits down to #78 (.4064 mm). That might make a difference if you need to drill out a distributor, ignition coil or master cylinder.

One other note about the Yakamoz: It has only one speed (RPM not specified) and it runs off a 12-volt transformer; could it be safely plugged into a speed control?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

I got the Yakamoz drill today and while it I did not try it, it looks like it will work. Of course, after I got the one I posted above, I found one with a variable speed control, but it is costs more.

https://www.amazon.com/Yakamoz-0-3mm-Adjustable-Electric-Aluminum/dp/B075SZZN4J/ref=sr_1_1?crid=12008J6R1YPS1&dchild=1&keywords=yakamoz&qid=1610727152&s=hi&sprefix=yaka%2Ctools%2C149&sr=1-1#customerReviews

Looked at the listing for the variable speed Yakamoz; it's rated at 13,000 RPM and the speed control ranges from 5 to 12 volts. If it's 13k RPM at 12v, wouldn't the slowest speed work out to be a little under 5417 RPM at 5v? Still looks like a useful machine since it will take bits down to #80. That video of the wobbly example is worrying, however...