Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Use For Those Holiday Popcorn Cans

I was cleaning up some stuff with lacquer thinner, the other day, using some blue shop towels. After I tossed the towels, I noticed they were reeking, pretty seriously. I had an empty popcorn can sitting around, and thought it would make a good, mostly airtight container for solvent-laden cleaning rags. I tossed them in, closed the lid, and voila! No more fumes in the room!

Be extremely cautious about using popcorn tins. Don't keep them in the house (or garage, or any other building you want to keep around).  I wouldn't be certain they seal airtight enough for storage of solvent-laden or impregnated rags. Depending on the fabric and the type of solvent, even a slight amount of oxygen can be a recipe for spontaneous ignition (fire). 

Best practice is to stretch out flat any cloth (rag) used for solvent (or any petroleum-based hydrocarbon or ignitable liquid, etc.) wiping, brush cleaning, spillage cleanup, etc., etc., in the open air and leave it until it has completely dried. Then dispose of it - and others - in a tightly sealed non-combustible container. 

Don't take chances with these things. Daniel's idea isn't bad . . . it's better than just tossing the rags indiscriminately . . . but be careful about "mostly airtight."  For safety, it needs to be "completely airtight."

I've investigated many spontaneous ignition fires with results from small (shed, garage or one-room) to medium (entire house gone) to large (entire commercial city block - fire started in a paint store back room).  Most were rags improperly discarded. 

Then there's hay fires, but that's a different subject unless you throw your solvent-laden rags into haystacks. ?

??  

That is an excellent advice.  Good way to get rid of the smell is to put them in your paint booth over the filter (if you have one) with the fan running. It will dry them out fast, and the fumes will be sent outside.

Edited by peteski

1 hour ago, peteski said:

That is an excellent advice.  Good way to get rid of the smell is to put them in your paint booth over the filter (if you have one) with the fan running. It will dry them out fast, and the fumes will be sent outside.

That's what I used to do. Sounds like maybe I just ought to go back to that! ?

• 1 month later...