Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford Y Block drag coupe

modelfink

This project has been floating around in my head for a while, so I thought I would give it a shot. The inspiration comes from the Harry Luzader 32 coupe that competed in the gas class in the 60s. This will be my first time building a 32 with fenders! Mine will not be a replica but a similar build based on the mid 60s design aesthetic and tech.

My goal with this one is to not get in the weeds regarding detail and focus on the fit and finish, keeping the scratch built items to a minimum.

I have collected parts and here is whit I have so far:

Body: Revell 32 5 window coupe
Engine: Revell 57 Ford Y block with fenderwell headers, Edelbrock valve covers, 2 4brl carbs with air cleaners from the Hemi in Revell 32 kit
Rear tires: AMT Racemaster slicks with Halibrand kidney bean mags
Front tires: AMT front tires from the 41 Willys with Halibrand kidney bean mags
Front suspension: chrome tubular axle from Revell 32 kit (will be modified), split wishbones from the Revell 29 roadster
Rear Suspension: Ford 9" rear from Revell 32 kit, air bags removed and coil springs attached, long ladder bars from Revell 41 Willys SW&C gasser
Misc: moon tank, seats from the Revell 41 Willys, gas pedal from AMT 41 Willys, 

The first order of business (and one of the primary features I wanted to highlight) was to get the headers through the fenders. I love the look of the headers tucked up under the front fender behind the front wheels. I cut both fenders and test fit the headers before attaching the fenders to the frame. I got lucky with the Y block motor mounts lining up with the 32 frame without having to create my own. (not accurate, but I'm trying to keep the scratch building at a minimum)

Next up was the rear end. I'm using the Ford 9" rear from the kit, but the air bags had to go. I found some coil springs in the Ala-Kart kit that gave me the extra height I needed for the larger slicks. The coil springs would have been mounted behind the rear axle but agin, I'm trying to keep it simple. 

8867409-1.jpg

IMG_4326.JPG

IMG_4328.JPG

IMG_4331.JPG

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DrKerry said:

This is gonna be good to watch come together!! Always liked the real car from way back when!!!!

Thanks! This will not be a replica, but I'm using the Luzader coupe as heavy inspiration. Mine will be a different color with the Y block instead of an injected SBC

Great start on a great modeling subject, Travis.  And needless to say, I'm totally in favor of your Y-block swap in place of the Luzader SBC.

I've got a picture of a '30A Five Window on my board with the same design cues as the Luzader Deuce; considering a build inspired by that if/when the Revell '30A Hot Rod kit gets reissued.   

Good luck on your project....TIM

11 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Great start on a great modeling subject, Travis.  And needless to say, I'm totally in favor of your Y-block swap in place of the Luzader SBC.

I've got a picture of a '30A Five Window on my board with the same design cues as the Luzader Deuce; considering a build inspired by that if/when the Revell '30A Hot Rod kit gets reissued.   

Good luck on your project....TIM

Thanks Tim, yes, I have seen 30 and 31 coupes built in the same style. I think they were pretty common until the Willys and Anglias came on to the scene. I'm sure your build will be outstanding!  (provided the 30 coupe ever gets back into production)

I made a panhard bar by using one of the rear trailing arms from the 57 Ford gasser kit and "welded" it to the front of the rear end. The other end will be attached to the frame in final assembly. I also cut the axles to accept the ladder bars and mocked them up. They will be shortened and mounted to the same bracket the front bones are mounted to, so I'll need to figure out the front end placement before finalizing the ladder bars. The radiator from the AMT Willys gasser was a great fit in the 32 grill shell. I just needed to sand the front to a desired thickness to make it appear recessed into the shell. 

IMG_4435.JPG

IMG_4434.JPG

IMG_4433.JPG

IMG_4438.JPG

IMG_4439.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

VERY nice.

Always good to see someone who understands the necessity for a Panhard bar on a setup like this, and who generally tries to get the greasy bits done right.

I wouldn't want to leave the line without a panhard bar under me!

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome project, i've been doing the same thing, thinking on doing a project similar as this one, really looking forward to see yours, i have the same kit but not the same engine or the rest of the thing you have, mine is going to be a little different when i decide to start working on it, great progress so far

• 2 years later...
11 hours ago, deuces wild said:

Just wondering if this one ever got finished...

Unfortunately it has been sitting dormant, and I have not sat at the modeling bench for some time. But your interest has inspired me to dust it off and get it done!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AN UPDATE! After a couple years away from the bench I'm back on this project and feeling pretty good about it! Since I last posted I sorted out all the suspension components. Up front I'm using the dropped tube axle from the Revell 32 which required a significant blocking of the leaf spring to get the ride height I wanted. I built some front shocks and a tie rod out of styrene. Split wishbones are from the Revell 29 Ford. I made some brackets to attach the front bones and rear ladder bars. Out back the Ford 9 inch is supported by coil springs from the parts box and shocks from the AMT 41 Willys with ladder bars from the Revell SW&C Willys. I replaced the super long tail on the Y block trans with a 4 speed from a mid 60s Mustang Gt kit. (Thanks Dennis) and cut down the long oil filter to clear the steering box. I'm really happy with the ride height and how everything is fitting together. 

IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1232.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1233.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

• Like 6