Model Cars Magazine Forum

1982 Mercedes 500SEC 1/24 Tamiya vintage

e30lover

I recently won this old Tamiya kit(issued in 82’) from Ebay and decide to kick off 2021 with it.

Overall it needed zero correction on the body except for mold lines, and everything fit perfectly. Apart from the wheels and metal transfers, it's a box straight build. I wish they ever released widebody AMG version!

Build details are:

• Primed with Tamiya grey surfacer
  • Sanded off all molded emblems then applied aftermarket metal transfers
  • Two coats of Mr. Color metallic black and aluminum mixed to simulate the black pearl metallic which has very, very subtle metallic flakes.
  • Mix of Tamiya acrylics (red, yellow, brown and tan) to simulate Palomino leather interior
  • Airbrushed 2 thin coats of Tamiya lacquer clear then went 3000 grit > 6000 grit > Tamiya fine > finish compounds to keep the body lines leveled and sharp.
  • Applied BMF for the front window and light housings and masked rest of chrome trims then sprayed with Mr. color aluminum
  • Added staggered AMG OZ aero wheels from Tamiya 500SL AMG kit
  • Lowered suspension (I wanted to achieve lower ride height and when I dry fitted they were great, but somehow it turned out to be higher than I thought)

sec1.jpg.9f2a7c1addb5599c6a67cdbc0e7d2117.jpgsec2.jpg.22f8778a1882d9faae06aceadd4d5374.jpgsec3.jpg.ebbf86d8c9ff3079d86fcc8ef1abb74e.jpgsec4.jpg.18afe012a05b397602347c495ca534c8.jpgsec5.jpg.ae3b6eaeee2717a3fb78ef5e14fa977c.jpgsec6.jpg.9ea1bb7304e34b6d5599ec97884dc93f.jpgsec7.jpg.68894e6de62055121b2f4b8ac615bbf0.jpgsec8.jpg.eb388336b6815df07228df22fb999c02.jpgsec20.jpg.a2d386d8f2a96e12af266e81e3e69a24.jpgsec19.jpg.e01961c12592881e653efa0e066dea6b.jpgsec9.jpg.33aeb09687250dac99932cb00964334d.jpgsec10.jpg.e7395d7a39db75f973c35adbd26fcf23.jpgsec11.jpg.befa65e8c874ad5245a7d9b5725a47a0.jpgsec12.jpg.d3fd096a73db24ca9e31ffd0dbe7f2ec.jpgsec13.jpg.c696dbb6180038277cc0ec692d0b2d30.jpgsec14.jpg.91ef8c0a4a37a13233bd8a286b4492b8.jpgsec16.jpg.4bdd4f3bfc7d8f5b470ad61805b40828.jpgsec17.jpg.afffb300af81b4ff80d832d203db9b07.jpgsec18.jpg.f87c1defe0fb23c2e0a8ac37b10c55b2.jpg
Edited by e30lover

3 hours ago, waiby said:

beautiful!  i have the Lorinser version sitting here decades that i want to do..

btw anyone know if there was a 4 door version of this car made by anyone in 1/24?

I was going to say that I built the Lorinser last century, first time I tried Bare Metal Foil was on the wheel arches.

I also built the S 600 AMG, which was the sedan of that time.

5 hours ago, e30lover said:
I recently won this old Tamiya kit(issued in 82’) from Ebay and decide to kick off 2021 with it.

[...] Apart from the wheels and metal transfers, it's a box straight build. [...]

sec4.jpg.18afe012a05b397602347c495ca534c8.jpg

Those emblem transfers really help, where did they come from?  Awesome build!

12 hours ago, Gipper said:

Super clean and neat. Looks like an actual car.

Thank you! Once I finished the chrome trims, it was a breeze to finish it off

12 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Really clean! Great work there!

Appreciate it!

12 hours ago, waiby said:

beautiful!  i have the Lorinser version sitting here decades that i want to do..

btw anyone know if there was a 4 door version of this car made by anyone in 1/24?

Thanks! I don't think W126 was ever released as a kit.

11 hours ago, cobraman said:

Very nice, and nice photos also.

Thanks! I'm figuring out how to shoot w/o obvious hints showing the scale.

10 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Beautiful build!

Thank you!

8 hours ago, Nxr said:

This and a raspberry blazer and an old early 90s nokia cell phone and you got a full Russian mobster deal, haha

I should've gone full mobster and painted it black on black, or white on white!

8 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I was going to say that I built the Lorinser last century, first time I tried Bare Metal Foil was on the wheel arches.

I also built the S 600 AMG, which was the sedan of that time.

Those emblem transfers really help, where did they come from?  Awesome build!

Those kits with V12 are great! I had built S600 coupe way back. As for the transfers, I used from an assorted Mercedes emblems from hobby design. 

7 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Extremely nice, well done!

Thank you as always!

12 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Wow Chang, what a great start to the new year! It looks fantastic. Look at the reflections in the outdoor shots.....

Thanks a lot! I'm trying to get some better angle on my balcony.. 

11 hours ago, peteski said:

Sweet! Great looking model!  Can't go wrong with a Tamiya Mercedes!

Thanks!  I have Tamiya 300SL that I'll be building in 2021! 

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Another nice build Chang!! That interior is beautiful?

Thanks Mike! Red/Caramel are my favourite interior colors! 

The 1:1 car is one of my favorite Mercedes/AMG designs, and you've certainly done it justice.   Kudos for clean assembly techniques, great paint color choices and sharp photography.

Hope to see more from you soon.

: ( Just looked this kit up on ebay - its more expensive than my current Holy Grail.   Kinda like the real car, I guess.

5 hours ago, Monty said:

: ( Just looked this kit up on ebay - its more expensive than my current Holy Grail.   Kinda like the real car, I guess.

Thanks for the pointer!  I just scored one of these kits on eBay. The seller accepted my best offer (quite reasonable too).  Open-box, but the parts are all sealed.  Another good looking kit to add to my "to be built in the future" collection.

Funny thing is that back when it was new, it probably sold for about 2000 yen (or around $20 US).  It has an engine, so it was one of the better kits. Curbside Tamiya kits probably sold for around $15 US.

8 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Very classy, looks like a real car too! You definitely captured the executive look.

Thank you! It's my second build using airbrush and I love that I can mix colors! 

7 hours ago, grodudulle77 said:

It looks like a real car , your paint job is very awesome . Outstanding work !!! ???

It was hard to polish avoiding sharp edges (ended up using q-tips for final polish) but it turned out pretty good. Thank you!

6 hours ago, Monty said:

The 1:1 car is one of my favorite Mercedes/AMG designs, and you've certainly done it justice.   Kudos for clean assembly techniques, great paint color choices and sharp photography.

Hope to see more from you soon.

It's my favourite Mercedes as well 

4 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

I just looked again at the interior color Chang and I just love it!!  Equal parts of each color or just random mix until color achieved??   Unless its a propriatory mixture (?Just kidding)

It was random mix of those tamiya acrylics! I started with brown and tan, then added small amount of red and yellow to get the right hue.

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Thanks for the pointer!  I just scored one of these kits on eBay. The seller accepted my best offer (quite reasonable too).  Open-box, but the parts are all sealed.  Another good looking kit to add to my "to be built in the future" collection.

Funny thing is that back when it was new, it probably sold for about 2000 yen (or around $20 US).  It has an engine, so it was one of the better kits. Curbside Tamiya kits probably sold for around $15 US.

Congrats! I  bought mine for around $60, so pretty decent deal even though it wasn't lorinser kit. I swear I built this kit back in early nineties when I was a kid, and still remembered the smell when I opened the box! 

1 hour ago, Hmann68 said:

Beautiful! From ‘88 to ‘92 I worked at an auto body shop that specialized in German cars. I got to drive everything from that era. I can tell you that these cars were built like tanks! Very realistic job on your Benz! 

That's awesome! 80s German cars are my favourite cars. Having owned GLI Jetta and now 3 series from the same era, I love the look and driving dynamics of those cars.

7 minutes ago, e30lover said:

Congrats! I  bought mine for around $60, so pretty decent deal even though it wasn't lorinser kit. I swear I built this kit back in early nineties when I was a kid, and still remembered the smell when I opened the box! 

Funny, that is about the same I paid for mine (including shipping)!  Mine also is the standard (not Lorinser) version.  There were several others listed, but the prices were much higher (from $90 to much higher).  Like I said, I lucked out.

23 hours ago, e30lover said:

Thanks! I don't think W126 was ever released as a kit.

yes unfortunately never saw a W126 sedan in a scale kit.  wanted one as i have a 1:1 scale..

in Toronto also :)

small.jpg

Edited by waiby
photo too large