Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 21 Kenworth W900 and Flatbed

Sorry I'm a bit slow getting my build thread going guys, had lots going on and actually haven't started yet, but I DID crack open the box(es) this evening and got a couple pics to show them as un-started. I had originally planned to build a semi-replica (pun intended ?) of a W900 and flatbed that I actually drove in the upper mid 90's with out the raised/double bunk sleeper, until I realized that the raised roof sleeper was molded into the body--there was a time I would have just started cutting on it, but I haven't built enough in the last several years to want to do that much surgery on my first rig builds, LOL. So I'll just build the tractor in whatever direction feels right as I go (need to "grok the kit") and if I get the trailer build going in time for this BRBO I'll go ahead and make it similar to one I've actually pulled. Anyways, hoping to get started on it in the next day or so, here are the initial "it's unbuilt" pics, I'm really enjoying everyone else's builds for this! Thanks for looking ?

IMG_5267.JPG

IMG_5268.JPG

IMG_5270.JPG

Thanks, guys :)  I piddled with it (W900) for a few minutes earlier (was actually surprised at how simple this kit really is, LOL) I'm probably going to build it reasonably box stock just to get the rustiness out of my building (concentrating on details and construction). Anyways, was raining a bit (and I have to paint outside) so just basically got a feel for it and glued a few sub assemblies that will be painted together today. I feel kinda dumb for not knowing (since I drove trucks for several years), but can someone tell me is this a Cat or Cummins I6 in this kit? (I'm assuming it's a Caterpillar based on old memory and the suggested color)

IMG_5296.JPG

IMG_5297.JPG

IMG_5298.JPG

IMG_5299.JPG

Edited by Olskoolrodder

Yep, 3406 Cat, thanks guys ?. Just saw this, I compared (LOTS) of Google pics of the real thing with the kit engine. It's already sprayed Cat yellow and waiting detail/mild weathering and final assembly (the engine I mean), same with the major chassis bits. I'm kind of a night-owl, so I'm hoping to piddle with it a bit later tonight (pics if I do) :) 

Edited by Olskoolrodder

Yes they do, Sam ??

Not a great lot of work done, but piddled with it a little this eve. Hoping it's dry enough outside to spray a bit tomorrow (dull coat the wheels and tanks), if so and I can get that done, with just a little detail painting (mostly on the chassis, like flat blacking the airbags, painting their brackets, etc), mild weathering (at least a decent black wash on the drivetrain if nothing else), and of course some mild assembly I could almost have a rolling chassis, LOL (these kits DEFINITELY go together easily) ?

The engine paint is Rustoleum "Golden Sunset" (shot over Tamiya white primer), looked pretty close to my eye.

IMG_5452 (2).JPG

IMG_5453 (2).JPG

IMG_5454 (2).JPG

Edited by Olskoolrodder