Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Dodge Dart 440

ModelcarJR

I started this Revell kit several days ago by painting the body while we had warm weather. I've built this kit before and its a nice kit. I saw in the color palate for this year that there was a light gold so I thought that Tamiya's Champagne Gold would be close. I've foiled the body, built the interior in bronze and constructed the engine with a few extra pieces. I used Fireball's Carter AVS carburetor and added plug wires, a fuel line, and a carburetor return spring. Here are a few pictures:

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

The interior in this looks great. In the photo the color almost looks silver on my screen but I have used this color before and that seems to be the way it will appear in photos sometimes. Almost a shame to put the Air Cleaner on the Engine and cover all of the nice detail there. 

Thanks, David, Carl, and David! I appreciate your comments! Carl, the bronze is Testors One Coat which is now called Extreme Lacquer, I guess. it was followed by a coat of Testors Dullcote. David, don't worry about the visibility of the carb. I hollowed out the bottom of the air cleaner, initially to get the hood to shut. I used just a bit of handy-tack on the bottom so I can remove it for display. I have done that for other builds and it works very well for contests with the air cleaner on the fender. 

It took a couple of days to get the body, interior, and chassis to mate as well as attach all the other parts but finally got it done.  I don't remember having that issue before but once I figured it out it went pretty well. The interior need to be really pushed tight into the body so that the chassis kinda snaps in place over the bottom of the interior. Then the front frame and radiator can be glued in place easily without putting the chassis in a bind and using clamps. Of course, because of the Fireball carb which is a little taller, the engine had to be pushed tight down into the frame and air cleaner bottom really thinned down. 

Here are a few pics and the one I built in 2013 in Testors Dark Bronze Metallic in the background in the last picture.  

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance 

I like your idea of drilling out the bottom of the Air Cleaner. Besides the added Hood clearance the extra realistic factor for display is something I never considered before. I'm going to have to remember that for the future.