Model Cars Magazine Forum

(HRM) Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe

Three days ago I jumped into the plug wire vortex.E7D3CC04-2A22-459B-91D1-320318A4A7A7.jpeg.2e434fd6567e5d62cb2a2690e5b34351.jpeg

Just this morning, before work, I finally got one side done!

I’ve found I have to attach a couple wires on the distributor and let the glue set up over night. I think Cobraman was right about this glue being brittle because even after a 12hr. cure I’ve had them snap off when trying to shape them. Uuuuugh! that’s soooo frustrating!!!  But once in the vortex there’s no way out until it’s done... Never surrender, never retreat!

B0B1B688-33A6-4ED6-9429-13742B2FA0AE.png.709699c87e915a280bb00e26acf4359e.png

Making sure the firing order is correct. 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8DEF0D223-DF5E-4B7F-BA7E-11359FF36D85.jpeg.ed884c5cdc6fedaccff3651afccb4391.jpeg

50 minutes ago, 65slotcar said:

oh no  wrong  firing  order....just   kidding.   looking  good  so far.   i am  usually lazy  when it comes to wiring  distributors  and i  buy distrubutors pre-wired.

Haha.... It isn’t that bad when everything things goes right, but this one has been giving me some fits. I say this like I’ve done a few, but this is only the second time I’ve wired one of my engines...the other was my blue Revell Cobra. I kind of wish I would’ve used slightly thinner gauge wire, but there’s no way I’m busting this stuff off to redo it now!

PS, Where did u get the distributor for the Cobra you showed on this thread?

Edited by Venom

1 hour ago, 65slotcar said:

coupe  is looking great  Josh.    The  pre-wired  distributors  i get are from  scaleproshop.com   for  $6.00  each.  cap  is separate  to distributor and makes it great for painting.

Thanks Bill, I’m sure I’ll end up buying a couple of those in the future.

The Cobra pic I mentioned is actually AFX’s build... I mistakingly thought it was yours. Sorry.

Cool project and great detail, Josh.  I'm learning a lot from your detailed WIP narrative.  Thank you for taking the time to provide so much detail and how-to.  I will be in a similar winter situation in a few years, retiring to North Dakota.  I see it's -20 for a low today.  Great time to be indoors building models!

19 minutes ago, Kromolly said:

Cool project and great detail, Josh.  I'm learning a lot from your detailed WIP narrative.  Thank you for taking the time to provide so much detail and how-to.  I will be in a similar winter situation in a few years, retiring to North Dakota.  I see it's -20 for a low today.  Great time to be indoors building models!

Thank you so much for that comment Roy... it feels good to know that someone is benefiting from this, if even in a small way. As I mentioned at the beginning, this whole WIP thing is brand new for me, and I certainly don’t consider myself an expert model builder, so its deffinately been time consuming, but in an enjoyable way.

Hope you enjoy ND! ... Actually, this winter in WY has been surprisingly mild, except for wind. We are in a severe drought.

Thank you Josh,  Seems it's been relatively mild across the northern states.  We're looking forward to getting away from the west coast.  Things are rapidly deteriorating.  ND is quiet, if one can tolerate the winters.  We'll probably escape some of the coldest weather.  Once we're retired we can do as we please.

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

Looking great.  Keep up the awesome work.

Thanks Mark, I felt like I was coming down with something the past couple days, but seem to be starting to feel more normal again, so I haven’t really accomplished anything since last pics. Last night I did attempt to button up the plug wires, only to have two more snap off😤... they are now reattached, plus I guess I did accomplish getting one more halfway on. These wires have been about ten times more difficult than the ones on my 427 Cobra were!

Ive continued to check in on your Corvette...I like all the cool fabrications you’ve been doing. Nice work👍

Josh I really enjoy following along on the Cobra. Your work is outstanding, looking great, I apreciate the kevel of detail work you are sharing, shows what needs to be done to make a great model of a very significant race car. 

Your follow along will sure be a help to me, I have been sitting on one of the HRM kits for at least 12 years. Super nice kit.

So thank you for all :)

3 hours ago, Bill J said:

Josh I really enjoy following along on the Cobra. Your work is outstanding, looking great, I apreciate the kevel of detail work you are sharing, shows what needs to be done to make a great model of a very significant race car. 

Your follow along will sure be a help to me, I have been sitting on one of the HRM kits for at least 12 years. Super nice kit.

So thank you for all :)

Thank you much Bill!... I’m glad that there are a couple people benefitting in some way from this. This has been a very new experience for me. Never built a resin kit before, so didn’t really know what to expect, and I’ve been learning things all the way along. Thanks for following, and hopefully I can do this thing justice!

4 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Josh, Do you know if some one makes a 64 cobra roadster kit with the big block in it?  

There's a certain driver I want to do that drove one back then.

Assuming you want a 1/24 kit, it looks like MFH makes a ‘64 roadster, but it has the 289 in it and it’s pricey. You would probably have to find a 289 roadster body and 427 engine separately. Mad Mike’s makes some awesome 3D printed engines and are available through modelbuilderswh.com. -Randy D who owns the place is a member on here and would probably know of sources for bodies/kits. You might PM him...or AFX and absmiami would also probably be a lot more knowledgeable about this than me, and I’m sure any of them would be happy to help. Hopefully that will get you pointed in the right direction. Good luck!🤠

Edited by Venom

22 hours ago, Venom said:

Assuming you want a 1/24 kit, it looks like MFH makes a ‘64 roadster, but it has the 289 in it and it’s pricey. You would probably have to find a 289 roadster body and 427 engine separately. Mad Mike’s makes some awesome 3D printed engines and are available through modelbuilderswh.com. -Randy D who owns the place is a member on here and would probably know of sources for bodies/kits. You might PM him...or AFX and absmiami would also probably be a lot more knowledgeable about this than me, and I’m sure any of them would be happy to help. Hopefully that will get you pointed in the right direction. Good luck!🤠

Thanks, Josh. But I think I will have to put this idea on hold for a while. Like you said very pricey if you can find anything. Just have to hope for an amt  reissue of an old kit they had , which is not very likely.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2021 at 9:47 PM, vamach1 said:

3CF214C9-8FEE-4DB1-AF02-74B40C36EB28.jpeg

On his website, Peter Brock said that all of the Daytona Coupes were slightly different from one another.  I just noticed in the photo above that the windshield wipers of the #16 car go in the opposite direction of those on the #13.  I don't know if this is due to a difference in stop positions or the blades themselves.  The pivot points look about in the same place, though.  BTW, I am really enjoying this thread.  Keep the good work coming.  The Daytona Coupe has been my favorite care ever since I bought a K&B 1/24 slot car (on sale no less) somewhere between 1966 and 1968.  Yes, I still have it.