Model Cars Magazine Forum

(HRM) Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe

2 hours ago, MarkJ said:

I wonder why they made them carry a spare tire in these race cars back then.

Probably the same line of thought that required Prototype GT cars such as the GT-40 to have a luggage carrying capacity.

This discussion on carrying a spare reminds me of Lotus trying to get a 23 through scrutineering for Le Mans in 1962. The Lotus 23 had four stud wheels on the front and six stud wheels on the rear. The scrutineers failed the car because the four-stud spare it was carrying could not befitted to the rear. A mechanic was quickly dispatched back to the shop in England where parts were gathered and emergency modifications were made, then hustled back to La Sarthe for a last-minute thrash to fit new four-stud hubs to the rear of the 23. Scrutineering again failed to accept the car, saying that if the original design required a six-stud hub, then certainly a four-stud hub is unsafe. Colin Chapman had a fit and declared he would never return to Le Mans again. True to his word, he never did.

Edited by Bainford

38 minutes ago, afx said:

Yep the sheet metal boxes at the back end of a GT40 were there to hold the phantom suitcases.

GT40 mystery boxes - General Automotive Talk (Trucks and Cars) - Model Cars  Magazine Forum

Oh wow! ... I always thought those were some type of air duct ... that is nuts! ... And the dimpled trunk thing on the Cobra takes me back to the movie Ford v Ferrari where Miles is beating the trunk with a hammer. Lots of research knowledge to be found on these forums!👍

48 minutes ago, afx said:

Later they add just a rack to hold the luggage.

GT40 mystery boxes - General Automotive Talk (Trucks and Cars) - Model Cars  Magazine Forum

However, on this one, according to the rules I read on the above link, this sure doesn’t look like it would keep the luggage protected from the elements...

58 minutes ago, afx said:

Rules of day also required GTs to have a passenger seat and space to carry a suitcase.

So I’m assuming there was no seatbelt in the passenger side of the 65 Daytona Coupe??

And I’m trying to figure out if the drivers side was just a lap belt or a harness... Anyone know???

2 hours ago, Venom said:

So I’m assuming there was no seatbelt in the passenger side of the 65 Daytona Coupe??

And I’m trying to figure out if the drivers side was just a lap belt or a harness... Anyone know???

There would seem to be no reason for a seat belt but the rules required a passenger seat so it is possible.  Looking at ones currently restored is probably not the best indication as some spent a few years as street legal drivers until enthusiasts realized that they would become worth millions in a few decades and added them.  I’m sure a few people have enjoyed some parade lap passenger rides in them in the last 20 years at historic race car reunions.  Here are some pictures from 1964 and 1965 where clearly you can see the driver wearing a shoulder harness.

655D037A-E6ED-4D58-8B2D-942CBB0F7F44.jpeg

8FF19F1C-5965-4EFD-9EAF-DB69B83827B4.jpeg

0DB819A4-3A0C-4A44-96E3-DBED11DA3E33.jpeg

425B90C5-6124-43D1-AF0C-8AB49A371504.jpeg

2 hours ago, Venom said:

Thanks Rex! ... There’s so much elusiveness reguarding these cars. Kind of mind boggling.

That looks like the very first one in that pic above

Maybe Revell got it right in 2003.  Their 1/32 slot car shows the driver with a 5 pt harness and a lap belt in the other seat.  👍

On the high end Exoto 1/18 Daytona Coupe diecast there are no seat belts whatsoever. 🙄

7719885F-063B-4BD1-B982-91EEBFF3719B.jpeg

4A8A650F-4C8D-452A-9FDB-7DCD54E29EA6.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

52 minutes ago, Kromolly said:

Wow Josh, your attention to detail is phenomenal.  Awesome job!  This is a fun build and discussion to watch.

Thank you, I appreciate that Roy ... I also really appreciate the input from these other guys, as there is a wealth of knowledge between them all! ... I began this build not really knowing that much about the Daytona’s or even much about historical racing in general, so this is all pretty fascinating to me as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all ... here’s an update on a bit more I’ve got done. I’ve had some other stuff going on and now the weather’s getting real nice, so the progress is slowing up a bit, but we’ll get there👍

Thanks to all who have been watching for your interest thus far!

ED32A62B-4D44-4F9B-A93E-15F56A656412.jpeg.fd98163d6c1d72f0fa32f90c91f94bd1.jpeg07BD182D-AF55-4A0B-969A-8F8359524F0B.jpeg.294ff7595d15615954368eb483111447.jpeg68F9435F-8AD8-4A02-9E95-FBBA3E96211A.jpeg.a7ca457224a80c4bed9df8fe26703d71.jpegDE118122-FEAB-403F-9771-B43E45CDAF97.png.df5359860fc85027297023a8d26f427a.pngC2648A12-183E-473E-B96F-166D15D51E2F.jpeg.a160210786103f2e5032e8284bdc000d.jpeg

I think I’ve put this on here somewhere already, but here’s a link that shows how I make the buckles... http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/156909-chrome-vinyl-details-from-scratch/

The belts are just paper that I colored black with a Sharpie

DA76A05D-9B21-467E-9420-2343145431FB.jpeg.8126782212d54668dc9d5f02a5a77387.jpeg85530AB3-E17F-47DC-A5A7-01D95CF0730F.jpeg.d3e1541fa8ed9b55923b069b7c84ddd9.jpeg

Edited by Venom

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

Here are some pages from a Japanese model car magazine from I am guessing the 1990’s.  It appears to be a modified Gunze kit.  The side windows look like what you are trying to replicate.

Great! thanks for those Rex ... you guys really have some great pics to share!... useful and informative. They’ll come in handy👍

Pretty sure the pics of the model in the Japanese magazine is of one of the Model Factory Hiro kits. They made several different kits to replicate multiple CSX-2XXX Daytona Coupes. I think all are unavailable now. There was some little details in the MFH kits not in either the HRM or GUnze-Sanyo kits. The MFH kits also cost about double the price of a HRM kit.  When I bought my HRM kit I had the option of several of the MFH kits and I decided on the HRM, both from a cost perspective and the complexity of building. 

11 hours ago, Bill J said:

Pretty sure the pics of the model in the Japanese magazine is of one of the Model Factory Hiro kits. They made several different kits to replicate multiple CSX-2XXX Daytona Coupes. I think all are unavailable now. There was some little details in the MFH kits not in either the HRM or GUnze-Sanyo kits. The MFH kits also cost about double the price of a HRM kit.  When I bought my HRM kit I had the option of several of the MFH kits and I decided on the HRM, both from a cost perspective and the complexity of building. 

I was not sure of the make since my Japanese reading level is zero. 🙂

I send a friend request via Facebook to YABUKI who wrote the article.  Maybe his English is better than my Japanese.

31752DC1-97D5-4CC8-9733-337A7EC3AB84.jpeg

Edited by vamach1
Picture

Looks like whoever built the model from the magazine mounted the front wheels off center a little to get them centered in the wheel openings. I wonder if thats an engineering problem from the model company or an error in building the front suspension by the builder. By the way Josh, you are doing an awesome job  on everything. Really like your seat belts.

6 hours ago, vamach1 said:

I send a friend request via Facebook to YABUKI who wrote the article.  Maybe his English is better than my Japanese.

Contacting the article writer is a great idea Rex, Hope we hear back. I know about 2 words in Japanese and nothing of the written language. I looked on my PC for some pictures of a MFH Daytona Coupe kit, when I was researching trying to decide on what kit to buy. The MFH kit came with a lot of white metal parts, incuding the entire floor pan. The photoetch included a nifty air box for the Webers, which I liked. It also shows on built models the opening side glass. From what I can find today, they made 3 kits to replicate serveral of the 1:1 chassis and incuded subtle variations along with race markings for those chassis as raced.

I agree with Mark J, Josh you are doing an outstanging job on your Daytona Coupe and I am sure you'll come up with a novel and beautiful solution to more accurately replicate the side glass. I look forward to each update on your build. Really fantastic work!

8 hours ago, MarkJ said:

....By the way Josh, you are doing an awesome job  on everything. Really like your seat belts.

2 hours ago, Bill J said:

....I agree with Mark J, Josh you are doing an outstanging job on your Daytona Coupe and I am sure you'll come up with a novel and beautiful solution to more accurately replicate the side glass. I look forward to each update on your build. Really fantastic work!

Thanks guys, I’m grateful to have the appreciation! ...I know it’s been moving along at a snail’s pace lately and surely there have been some yawn moments, but since Im still working full time I’ve got to juggle my priorities, and a break now and then is refreshing also🙂

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 2:15 PM, vamach1 said:

Google translate is a little crude, but it gives you an idea of what they are saying.... 

Screenshot_20210424_221125.jpg.67e00747cdccdeece59e768cf4366a16.jpg