Model Cars Magazine Forum

(HRM) Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe

On 4/26/2021 at 8:46 PM, Venom said:

I gotta say, I think I like the body of the Shelby better. I feel like there are some remarkable body line similarities of the Daytona Coupe to the 66 Jaguar XKE. Am I the only one?

I can see the similarities.  I too like the Cobra more, but those GTO's are pretty timeless....

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/1/2021 at 4:20 PM, MarkJ said:

Josh, how's this one coming?  Just realized I hadn't seen an update in a while.

Hey Mark!.. Thanks for checking in. The truth is that the nice weather is here now, and when you live in Wyoming and love the outdoors you take advantage of every bit you can because it only lasts about 3 to 4 months. This is the time of year I go into hyperactive mode and ride my bike all over the mountains like a wild man. Not only that, but where I left off on the build (side windows) is going to present some unique challenges for me. I even considered just putting the windows in the way they are, but I’d really like it more if I can successfully accomplish the scratch built windows I have in mind. So for now, the Daytona sits inside a protective case in a state of limbo. There’s been a couple times I’ve had a hankering to start the next step, but before I know it the time has escaped me. I work full time too, so it doesn’t leave enough room for two obsessions simultaniuosly. For those of you who have watched this WIP with interest, I hope this isn’t too disappointing for you... it will be the first and only project I return to when the season starts changing again, and there is always the possibility that I get an itch that must be scratched before that, but I simply can’t make any promises about it. I kind of figured most modelers would understand that this is just the way it goes for a lot of us. For those of you who I’ve seen your posts/names regularly on this topic, I’ll send you a PM to give you the heads up that more progress has been posted so you don’t have to worry about missing something. Thanks again and best wishes to all🤠👍

On 4/26/2021 at 6:07 PM, vamach1 said:

McClusky Coupe and a GTO recreation.

[...]

Another GTO recreation!  When I was researching my GTO build, was surprised how many shops do those.

Josh and I were PM-ing about mountain biking.  He's much farther north, so he's limited.  I need to get exercise and ride mine, but now it's getting hot.

6 hours ago, Venom said:

Hey Mark!.. Thanks for checking in. The truth is that the nice weather is here now, and when you live in Wyoming and love the outdoors you take advantage of every bit you can because it only lasts about 3 to 4 months. This is the time of year I go into hyperactive mode and ride my bike all over the mountains like a wild man. Not only that, but where I left off on the build (side windows) is going to present some unique challenges for me. I even considered just putting the windows in the way they are, but I’d really like it more if I can successfully accomplish the scratch built windows I have in mind. So for now, the Daytona sits inside a protective case in a state of limbo. There’s been a couple times I’ve had a hankering to start the next step, but before I know it the time has escaped me. I work full time too, so it doesn’t leave enough room for two obsessions simultaniuosly. For those of you who have watched this WIP with interest, I hope this isn’t too disappointing for you... it will be the first and only project I return to when the season starts changing again, and there is always the possibility that I get an itch that must be scratched before that, but I simply can’t make any promises about it. I kind of figured most modelers would understand that this is just the way it goes for a lot of us. For those of you who I’ve seen your posts/names regularly on this topic, I’ll send you a PM to give you the heads up that more progress has been posted so you don’t have to worry about missing something. Thanks again and best wishes to all🤠👍

For what iv'e seen and heard about Wyoming, it is especially beautiful this time of year. if I were younger and still worked full time and lived up there, I would be doing the same thing your doing. Sadly for us this begins the worst time of the year for us weatherwize. Its only nice in the mornings and some time in the evenings to go outside and we spend a lot of our time tracking hurricanes and hoping heavy thunderstorms and tornados don't take us out. Our best months are November thru April.Take care and the modeling can wait for you.

• 2 months later...

Hello all!

Been awhile... Ive been really excited about this post because getting the side windows done right was a real test of patience, but they’re now done. Yay!

Getting all the glass in is a major step because it allows you to finally attach the body to the floor pan and chassis and I really wanted to have that part shown in this post as well.

............But then something unexpected happened, as you’ll see....

PS: edit... The kit’s side windows did fit really nicely, but the marigin for error in aligning them well is very tight. You definitely want to fiddle with them for awhile to understand how they fit into the subtle grooves.

8121C76A-C504-4DE8-ADA8-DD7F015B5FAA.jpeg.283db7fcaa3f07bd065b37e0e572d0d4.jpeg

Here’s a pic of the side window look I’m going for...

B2625437-9F70-4CBA-BA38-60F42B8F81B4.jpeg.29fee151257669460e5082122f6decac.jpeg

4D9FAEC2-15A6-45CA-8CB7-8E7AB4004C41.jpeg.9bff7bf977a6cb16f5e2f992e5adc230.jpeg

13B078F9-D5FA-4C17-8799-5F5F6ACEE379.jpeg.13235ea54000384d55c38d5c22bb420c.jpeg

B27B62AE-F4EC-4176-A6D2-D8E15D083C08.jpeg.ccde644987a6818cdbe98bd62dea8f9c.jpeg

EC901407-6DA8-4D96-8EF4-C71B7B3D53B9.jpeg.c8e57335cb913f7660604c49055caab0.jpeg

7AA9A43B-DFBA-4E57-B98B-202640782658.png.73257f767de8f9618bd37668a988eb00.png

7770627E-57AA-4B5D-8ABB-9BEF97DDB91B.jpeg.26885ed2745acf51e2a451879b311034.jpeg

B3BBF559-0857-439D-B7DF-18DD4CB2F244.jpeg.4185929afd5b9589eea2779a53c65693.jpeg

AB148256-951C-4B21-BE48-13A44DEA5561.jpeg.b201423ea90535bf28943eb86e12cf0d.jpeg

0EE8FEC8-E24C-47E0-9363-59B1EDFB3905.jpeg.5ea54cd799dfc2e3019bc01cc5926f0f.jpeg

412A38AB-F667-48ED-B738-307E0B1FCAC0.jpeg.bd2b0a2f8ad00af7c7b448eee607ffcf.jpeg

58F0E173-D6D7-426A-9532-F56CBF7EF358.jpeg.5e34e4a355897ab64a303ff09764af4d.jpeg

Well, there you have it. 

Since I had already glued the window in place with C/A glue my biggest concern was how to remove it without causing damage ... I was having true nightmare visions of this! ....But after scoring the edges where the glue was using my panel line tool, it snapped out very simply. That’s a major relief!

........Now, on to plan B.

Edited by Venom

Josh, so glad to see you back at it. Your side windows are a major improvement over the oob ones. I'm sure you can make a windshield for this. Just use a piece of paper to make a pattern, but cut it out a little bigger then the opening . install some small brackets around the inside of the  opening and the windshield will pop right into place and you probably wont need adhesive, but go ahead and use it.

2 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Josh, so glad to see you back at it. Your side windows are a major improvement over the oob ones. I'm sure you can make a windshield for this. Just use a piece of paper to make a pattern, but cut it out a little bigger then the opening . install some small brackets around the inside of the  opening and the windshield will pop right into place and you probably wont need adhesive, but go ahead and use it.

Contact Brad and I’m sure he can send you a replacement.  301-604-8591

Edited by vamach1

Mark-   Thanks.... Yes, I found some very plyable rubber-ish clear plastic and was planning to do just that, but I hadn’t thought to make a paper template first, so thanks for mentioning it.

Rex-   I got in touch with Randy D at Modelbuilders Warehouse (great guy!) he’s sending me a new windshield. If it fits right I’ll use it.

Ray-   Thanks man! I can hardly wait to get into the next level of the build.

Mike-   Thanks for looking in, and glad you’ve found some useful info here🤠

Edited by Venom

7 hours ago, Bainford said:

Well done, Josh. That side window work is a great detail. 

Thanks Trevor ... For as simple as they appear to be, they were actually excruciating to create and install satisfactorily and at one point I was tempted to scream. At least 5 times I found myself on all fours looking for a tiny transparent square somewhere in the carpet, and simply handling the little things was similar to brain surgery ... I’m almost certain of that.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a replacement windshield, but it was an exact match to the one that fit badly, so no go☹️

Nevertheless, I have finally achieved getting one fabricated and it was a formidable task! It was far more difficult than making/installing the side windows were. I cut windshields from three different kinds of plastic before finding one that had the right workability and clarity, after that I cut five different windshields of which each one needed installed and removed numerous times so that I could trim them until I wound up with the one I’d finally use. It’s not perfect,but It turned out pretty good considering the difficulty of it, and now that it’s in there there’s no turning back. So, rather than staying upset, I just decided to chalk it up to experience gained, and I also wound up with a clearer windshield than the one from the kit.

Here’s some mock up pics of where it sits now. The body is now glued to the floor pan... The chassis is not yet glued.

Its such a relief to finally get to this point and see it coming together!

B2F12065-A117-4735-8DFF-FC1970174BBE.jpeg.32c1876ed73e03f6b255ba34e8abbe44.jpeg

23FA3491-7DCD-4381-9726-8C13B15855FC.jpeg.7a2623efadc7d98f38adef4146606586.jpeg

F99055D8-550D-45E3-89AA-1025EF4F12D5.jpeg.caa3e31a49c98d2207185287f6b609a7.jpeg

879C18A7-6EE3-4C66-B1EE-36A1B8B7E8A4.jpeg.3642044fea9befbb8fbf2118dad0277f.jpeg

AB1F9CFA-B142-4824-B4D6-C64BC2EA7B67.jpeg.644dd92abd27095d2214a09fd7ebef4f.jpeg

Edited by Venom

Josh, I knew if you could do those awesome side windows you would be able to scratch build a windshield. I was afraid the replacement was going to be just like the original oob windshield. Looks like it came out very nicely and will probably have a much better look then the kit windshield. They usually appear to be too thick. Looks like your getting close to the end. Keep on keeping on.

22 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Good to see you have reset, and resumed your project!  Have to ask, those side windows slide?  🤪

No way Kurt, if I was tryin’ stuff like that I’d be in the looney bin by now!

16 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Josh, I knew if you could do those awesome side windows you would be able to scratch build a windshield. I was afraid the replacement was going to be just like the original oob windshield. Looks like it came out very nicely and will probably have a much better look then the kit windshield. They usually appear to be too thick. Looks like your getting close to the end. Keep on keeping on.

Thanks Mark ... I have mixed feelings about it. It was a lot harder than the side windows were, but now I know where to find the best plastic for windshields.👍

16 hours ago, Len Woodruff said:

Looking great Josh.

Thank you Len, I appreciate it!

Edited by Venom

Excellent detail work Josh. The Cobra is really looking awesome. Thank you for the heads up that you were back at it too! So much going on in life these days I don't check on things as much as I would like. Your message was most thoughtful.

Seeing the windshield fit issue makes me want to chack to see if the "glass" from the Gunze-Sanyo kit is a better fit on the HRM body...

Edited by Bill J

13 hours ago, Bainford said:

Superb, Josh. I appreciate the challenge of creating a windscreen from scratch.  Yours looks great. Good fit, curvature, and clarity. Nice work.

Thanks for the meaningful remarks Trevor, and for following along. I really appreciate it.

21 minutes ago, Bill J said:

Excellent detail work Josh. The Cobra is really looking awesome. Thank you for the heads up that you were back at it too! So much going on in life these days I don't check on things as much as I would like. Your message was most thoughtful.

Seeing the windshield fit issue makes me want to chack to see if the "glass" from the Gunze-Sanyo kit is a better fit on the HRM body...

Thanks Bill! ... From what I’ve been hearing, I seem to be the only one who has had this fit issue, so definitely check your HRM windshield before you do anything because it might fit perfectly... Also, if you have a Gunze windshield, it should work fine. I PM’d Len Woodruff who did a masterpiece build of this kit and he told me he used the Gunze windshield in his because it is a clearer plastic. The HRM glass has a yellowish tint to it, but it’s really not that noticeable when it’s installed. I have the original HRM glass on the back of mine, and there is not a discernible difference between it and the other glass, I guess, unless you’re really studying it.