Model Cars Magazine Forum

(HRM) Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe

7 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

You have posted a very clear sequence of photos, Josh, and the arrangement of text in relation to the parts is excellent..... This is how it should be done !

Your build is really good, and the quality of your workmanship is top notch Sir !

David

David, Thanks for looking in and sharing your appreciation!... I have been putting a lot of effort into trying to document this build well so that others with this kit might benefit. The actual instructions for the kit are very simplistic as far as pictures and the written parts are kind of time consuming to process. Speaking of time consuming, the photos and bulletins take more time than the actual building does.

3 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Coming together nicely, Josh. Doesn't seem like much more to go. This will be  a truly Awesome build. 

Mark, thanks for continuing to look in .... Surprisingly there are still more than 70 kit included parts to install, many of which are small, some being P/E parts, lenses, etc. There are also some parts that the kit does not include which I’ll have to figure out how to make if I want them. I’m also planning to attempt to do at least SOME more wiring and plumbing lines..... So still a lot of work ahead .... I didn’t even mention decals, the numbers I will probably be drawing and cutting by hand.🤪

Wow Abs!.... that car has more wires and tubes than all the others I think, but I’m sure I’ll use it for reference..... thanks much!

I’m a bit confused though ... did the carb tray make it slower or something?

Edited by Venom

I would think that the tray made for a better - more efficient - engine bay - the Simione prefers to limit its use of “new” components on its cars - so if the tray was AWOL when the collection obtained the car - this by the way is a fascinating story of its own - they would abstain from making a new one ….  If I recall - this car has in-period tires !  That’s pretty neat - but you won’t see 2287 on a race track …

Josh, the Daytona is coming along great! It's looking fantastic up on its wheels. Very nice.

Andrew, thanks for the pics of the unrestored engine compartment. Much busier than I would have figured. In the first photo, are those air couplings positioned just outboard of the battery? Presumably for a pneumatic jack system?

5 hours ago, Kingslug said:

looks like you can have some fun wiring this all up...looks great!  

4 hours ago, absmiami said:

By the way - V - have fun fitting the exhaust pipes around that steering tube …

2 hours ago, Bainford said:

Josh, the Daytona is coming along great! It's looking fantastic up on its wheels. Very nice.

Andrew, thanks for the pics of the unrestored engine compartment. Much busier than I would have figured. In the first photo, are those air couplings positioned just outboard of the battery? Presumably for a pneumatic jack system?

Kingslug- Thank you! Whatever wiring/hoses I decide to do, it will highly likely NOT be ALL of it.... Up to this build, the most I’ve ever done on an engine for wiring has been plug wires, and that was only one other time.

Abs- The pics are great ones, thanks for posting them ... Your input is always appreciated👍 ... I’ll remember to be thinking of you when getting that steering shaft threaded in there😖 .... I was pretty good at playing Operation when I was little though.

Trevor- Thanks for your thoughtful compliments along the way ... And reguarding those air couplings (which I also wonder about), it appears other Daytonas have them rerouted to come up to the hood cowling, such as where this HRM kit has them molded.

Also for any who noticed the roughness on the frame here in this pic and may have wondered about it... I just want to make a note that the HRM instructions say to wash all the parts first, which I did not do... Since the roughness  is the flash leftover from molding, perhaps washing would take it off... I do not know the answer... Earlier in this WIP I was under the impression that it would need to be sanded in order to get it smooth... maybe I was wrong... Either way, it doesn’t bother me, I’m just mentioning it for those who are going to build this kit.

5AFD1370-85EA-4C85-8C3F-27AF35581121.jpeg.16b2d3d3221d71bdda23a2ffab2e1ad1.jpeg

4 hours ago, MarkJ said:

The corvette grand sport I just built had the pneumatic jacking system and I installed it the best I could. it was a tripod setup with one jack in the back in the middle and 2 up front at the firewall. 

Aha!... Now we know what that thing on top of its roof is for😀

75D0DD44-8FAB-4A57-B6AC-51CA1034EB3A.jpeg.017e7e428da968b90bc7378f0341931f.jpeg

Edited by Venom

11 hours ago, Venom said:

Aha!... Now we know what that thing on top of its roof is for😀

75D0DD44-8FAB-4A57-B6AC-51CA1034EB3A.jpeg.017e7e428da968b90bc7378f0341931f.jpeg

I believe that i discovered that, that is the fuel overflow vent. why its facing to the front makes no sense. the tube runs up the right quarter sail panel from the oversized tank right behind the seats.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Venom said:

D911B4E1-57B6-448E-8E89-5AE3D0F32034.jpeg.19334b68cdadf61231d3c38c3c90bcc3.jpeg

OK, very cool! Never realised those were the air couplings. Every day day is a school day. And as Len mentioned, the bottom item is a battery connect. 

I once had a boss that said, "If you learn something new today, you can go home". Looks like I'm outta here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 65slotcar said:

you  are still working on this  project??   🤪  Just  kidding.....looks  great  Josh!  it's  going to beauty  when done .

Yeah, nuts ain’t it?!..... Glad to see you back on the forum Bill.... And thank you👍

Edited by Venom

On 9/8/2021 at 2:48 PM, Venom said:

D911B4E1-57B6-448E-8E89-5AE3D0F32034.jpeg.19334b68cdadf61231d3c38c3c90bcc3.jpeg

yep they're airjacks. pretty sure the Daytonas were one of the first cars with them,  there are some pics of airjacks in some of the Daytonas. I use to have some pics but they're on the HD for my old comp.

edit...found one, you can see the black tower behind the alternator with the AN fitting on top of it.

sc0509-79207_6.jpg

This is a pic of CSX2601 the FIA Championship car. More pics on this site https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0509-79207/1965-shelby-daytona-cobra-coupe/

And they're included in the HRM kit. Pic 10 parts G3B9959E7-839C-44AA-9AAC-D300ED9B64CC.jpeg.8b6cb6bb93e9e962030e354fb7acfe9e.jpeg.7d2a0087664f39d07fb1e70d725c62ff.jpeg

Edited by Jhedir6
  • Thanks 1