Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just a façade

Modelbuilder Mark

On 2/12/2021 at 9:53 AM, Dave Van said:

Nice work....is that a Airfix Bugatti?

Thanks everyone for the kind words. 

Yea Dave, that is the Airfix, built it with our 6 yr old. Pretty much a Lego kit. I have gotten him three of them now. He is not yet patient enough for models exactly, but can follow Lego instructions. I do follow then up with a bit of liquid cement like MEK to hold them together so he can play with them a bit.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Claude, actually, I have never been very good at capturing things I see, and envy those that can really take great photographs. I struggle with getting my pictures to look as good as I would like them too, especially in my photo box inside, and I even bought a decent (but not expensive) digital camera specifically to share my model work, but it is really hit or miss.  These pics however, I took outside in my back yard, after my daughter introduced me to the "portrait" setting on my smart phone, rather than the standard pics. I took way more shots than I needed, then through and picked ones that I thought looked better.  It really did make a huge difference using that portrait setting, and going outside. Sometimes, these smartphones can do some pretty amazing things. 

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

18 minutes ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Thanks Danno. I did not think it fit the "Diorama" catagory criteria. 

Add a car or truck and a figure or two, create a storyline, Bingo!  You've already done a terrific job with the majority of the work.

🌵😎

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2021 at 8:22 AM, HJK said:

Hi Mark, I'm immensely impressed by the realistic weathering. It looks spot on. May I ask how you did the chipped away paint on the garage door? Thanks, Juergen

Thanks Juergen, my apologies for the late response but between work, vacation, and family responsibilities I have no been online here in a while. I used the hairspray method. In this case, I did not want a rusty underneath as I envisioned the door as aluminum. The door is grooved plastic sheet that I shot with a coat of Model Master aluminum paint that I buffed lightly, but I would imagine Alclad or other options would work just fine. I then sealed that with a flat clear, then hairspray, then water-based acrylic paint over that. after 20 minutes or saw, I wet that and then just started dragging the flat brush downward in the areas where I thought it looked "right". Along the edges, where the door would rub along the inside sop, I just used a straight edge, and drive my thumbnail down a few times. Once dry, I used some light dust pigments and drew them downward to create weather streaking. Thanks for the kind words. 

On 3/20/2021 at 6:40 PM, Brian Austin said:

Very nicely done.  The brick pattern is unusual, not one I'm familiar with.  Definitely a break from the "common bond" pattern usually seen in dioramas.

I do not recall if that is Plastruct, or Evergreen or what someone else, but it has been in my drawer for many years. I have a few more sheets, but I am not sure how to tell the maker is as I no longer have the packaging. 

• 2 weeks later...