Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 2021 first quarter

Mr mopar

It has been quite some time since the 28/29 pickup has been released. Probably 15 years, and definitely before Round2 took over. So I'm hoping for a retro treatment with the smooth wheels (that actually date back to the 28 sedan version his tool sprung from) . And cool boxart will be a plus.

And is it too much to hope for the Hot Curl to come back?

Edited by Mr. Metallic

Alright, the 82 Van is getting another reissue, I wonder which form its getting reissued?,  the last time they reissues it was as the Bad Company.

Here's hoping its a 2n1

*edit, found a listing that has it as "Turtle Wax" 1982 Dodge Van Custom

Edited by martinfan5

I'm in for a TranStar and one of the Scouts presuming it's the full roof "SUV" version and not a reissue of the topsless one with a flippin' Hostess machine or something.

On the other hand I might buy a kit for a 1/25 snack vending machine...

Edited by niteowl7710

2 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Alright, the 82 Van is getting another reissue, I wonder which form its getting reissued?,  the last time they reissues it was as the Bad Company.

Here's hoping its a 2n1

I really enjoyed the trip down memory lane building the "Bad Company" reissue. "Ram Van" and "Wanted Van" would be great reissues of this tooling; both were 2 in 1 kits. Another good choice would be "Gold Rush", which featured a bespoke IMSA-style body kit, custom grille, and wider tires. IIRC, Gold Rush was custom-only. If they plan to reissue the "Cannonball Run" / "Rescue 911" Ambulances (aside from a complete backdating of the grille/body/taillights), it should be acceptable to most builders to simply use Bad Company's restored 82 grille.

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

I'm in for a TranStar and one of the Scouts presuming it's the full roof "SUV" version and not a reissue of the topsless one with a flippin' Hostess machine or something.

On the other hand I might buy a kit for a 1/25 snack vending machine...

I agree. While I was somewhat tempted by HPI GUy's build of the SCOUT SS II, my heart's been set on getting the full-roof version. I'm sure the next reissue of the topless Scout will come in Coke livery, feature a Coke ice chest, a Coke vending machine, and a Coke trailer, towing a Coke Paystar 5000.

10 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I've never seen this version of the Deora. I'd build that.

vintage-amt-alexanders-drag-time_1_4c8ee3788bcbad57e0979ff3904b695f.jpg

Yes yes yes. Never knew this existed, and I must have it. Gonna stuff it with TWIN Hemis from two Revell 32 Ford 5-Window kits.

20 minutes ago, Stef said:

Yes yes yes. Never knew this existed, and I must have it. Gonna stuff it with TWIN Hemis from two Revell 32 Ford 5-Window kits.

This version of the Deora kit actually included the entire AMT Chrysler Hemi/Corvair engine Pack Hemi.  Both which are pretty cool engines.  And a very neat writeup on model car builder/journalist Don Emmons as well....TIM  

36 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

This version of the Deora kit actually included the entire AMT Chrysler Hemi/Corvair engine Pack Hemi.  Both which are pretty cool engines.  And a very neat writeup on model car builder/journalist Don Emmons as well....TIM  

Hello, Tim, first time I believe you and I have ever spoken. It's an honour, Sir. I suppose then, I'd better buy TWO of these Drag Deoras so I can double-up on the classic Hemis.

13 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

It has been quite some time since the 28/29 pickup has been released. Probably 15 years, and definitely before Round2 took over. So I'm hoping for a retro treatment with the smooth wheels (that actually date back to the 28 sedan version his tool sprung from) . And cool boxart will be a plus.

And is it too much to hope for the Hot Curl to come back?

Is this just the pickup? I know the woody and pickup were released separately back in the late 60''s/early 70's, but have been released together every time since(as far as i know)

Well the description says Woody / Pickup, so my guess is that won't change. I'd love to see those Halibrand smoothies back too. And maybe a dropped axle. Those knobby looking Rally GTs in the more recent Ertl era kits look pretty dopey on there.

I also wish Round 2 would backdate the the Dodge van back to the 73-75 frong end. Much more attractive.

Edited by Dave Darby

14 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

I also wish Round 2 would backdate the the Dodge van back to the 73-75 frond end. Much more attractive.

I'm with you, 

They wouldn't have to do an engine for it, snap-fit would do fine,  focusing on dress-up parts and decals, Of course just MHO ;)

Edited by Luc Janssens

8 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Well the description says Woody / Pickup, so my guess is that won't change. I'd love to see those Halibrand smoothies back too. And maybe a dropped axle. Those knobby looking Rally GTs in the more recent Ertl era kits look pretty dopey on there.

I also wish Round 2 would backdate the the Dodge van back to the 73-75 frong end. Much more attractive.

I have amended my previous post

On 1/14/2021 at 11:01 PM, Mark said:

You could get a second copy of the Hemi from the parts pack, which Round 2 has issued.  The original drag Deora had that pack but it was not plated.  I'd almost bet it will be plated in the new issue though.

Thank you for the info, @Mark. Maybe I'll get TWO plated Hemis. It would look so evil and sinister.

On 1/14/2021 at 10:22 AM, Mark said:

The '28 sedan, the Wild Ones issue (could be built as a roadster pickup or woodie wagon), and the first issues of the separate woodie and pickup kits all had solid (no slots) early Halibrand wheels.

Weren't there rumors going around that The Kat's were considering bringing back the '28 sedan? Hope that comes to pass someday. 

7 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Weren't there rumors going around that The Kat's were considering bringing back the '28 sedan? Hope that comes to pass someday. 

Well, as they have shown with the 63 Nova wagon, if the molds for the upper half of the kit are gone or damaged, they can recreate those parts. Question is if it's financially viable. 

If they did a new tool for the body I would vote to have the doors molded in (that may be an unpopular opinion ? )

7 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Yes, I understood that to be a live program, but that was several years back now.  I suspect that they ran into some significant issues in making the tool once again production ready, and decided there were other projects requiring the same investment of time and/or money that would have a higher financial return (e.g., 1963 Nova wagon, 1964 Olds Cutlass convertible, IH first Ertl cabover kit redo, et al).   I don't know with any certainty, but my guess is that it is still on the list of possible future projects, but ranking below others priority wise.   TIM 

On 1/14/2021 at 11:10 PM, Dave Darby said:

D3BBD1D3-BCD1-47DB-BEA5-5791DE05D36A.jpeg.70cb4d9fb2b4585e6295a3c885b2a77d.jpeg

The front end they chose to redo is the high end one from that era. I’d like to see them add the low end one with round lights..