Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 2021 first quarter

Mr mopar

14 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

Didn't AMT Ertl already do that grille - sort of...?

Tried and failed. It's like they took the '74-'78 grille center section, added them to the balance of the '79+ style high-end grille, and called it good, which, it wasn't. At all.

The MPC Dodge Van is too far gone to bother backdating it to the '71-'77 bodystyle, and it wasn't horribly accurate to begin with. Best option is to pony up for an original and enjoy building it. I don't see Joe Average wanting to build it stock anyway. Just keep pumping the custom version out every few years with different wheels and decals, and it'll sell.

34 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

Didn't AMT Ertl already do that grille - sort of...?

image.png.1ce96e206d170e27d81b842434bc07f7.png

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

Tried and failed. It's like they took the '74-'78 grille center section, added them to the balance of the '79+ style high-end grille, and called it good, which, it wasn't. At all.

Agreeing with Casey... I’d have to splice the two grilles together to get what I want... 

On 1/19/2021 at 9:52 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Agreeing with Casey... I’d have to splice the two grilles together to get what I want... 

That's why I said "Sort - of..." LOL. Too bad, because those mid 70s Dodge vans made for some pretty cool looking "Shaggin Wagons"...

image.png.f299582eac565e58a755d7cc51aa992b.png

Since they seem to be getting a lot of mileage out of the '70 Galaxie 4dr by reissuing it in multiple variations these days (007 and now a taxi), I wish they'd retool the C-pillar/backlight to a more correct shape than the old LTD based promo version.  It would probably take '67 Impala 4dr conversion levels of money, but I think it would be a wise investment to finally have a more "correct" '70 Galaxie 4dr.

Edited by the other Mike S.

On 1/22/2021 at 11:07 AM, the other Mike S. said:

Since they seem to be getting a lot of mileage out of the '70 Galaxie 4dr by reissuing it in multiple variations these days (007 and now a taxi), I wish they'd retool the C-pillar/backlight to a more correct shape than the old LTD based promo version.  It would probably take '67 Impala 4dr conversion levels of money, but I think it would be a wise investment to finally have a more "correct" '70 Galaxie 4dr.

Or just turn it back into an LTD, with a secondary body mould for the Galaxie...only instead of the Galaxie 500, do a more-likely Custom or Custom 500.

It is, however, unlikely to be addressed.

Charlie Larkin

11 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Agreed on that GTO. A lot of different bodies can be made to fit that chassis - hmm. Maybe the Hemi Under Glass '66 Barracuda, or '65 Comet, or...? :)

Hope the '64 Cutlass gets announced in March.

I am leaning towards  67 and 71 Mustang bodies... or maybe a Torino 😏

Vintage 70s Mustang Dirt Track Racer. | Vintage racers ...

Vintage Dirt Track Racer: 1968 Mustang Fastback

POPPA WHEELIE: Al Unser Dirt Tracking 1971 Ford Torino

Edited by Sledsel

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 10:14 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Weren't there rumors going around that The Kat's were considering bringing back the '28 sedan? Hope that comes to pass someday. 

If that is announced as a future release there is going to be a rash of hospital visits for heart attack  victims who were hanging on to their original issues so they could sell them at a higher than gold price and retire on their killings. Now all they have is some old boxes with brittle and bleached plastic that they paid a ridiculous price for because they're always going to go up in price.😆😉

On 9/28/2016 at 1:38 AM, horsepower said:

That's one job I'd probably volunteer to do for just the cost of a free lunch, come to think about it a little bit more, I'd be willing to do it for free if I got to choose which kits were pulled for production first. 

On the Pinto kits, somewhere MPC either sacrificed a body mold or made a new one for the one they used in the Modified series, but there's two problems with thinking they sacrificed an existing tool, one is that the tooling for the Pinto sedan kits from MPC all had the deluxe body side trim and that's not on the Modified body, not even door lines or the edges of the trunk opening exists, so it points to a totally new body tooling. The other argument for all new tools for the bodies in that series is the '34 Slammer Coupe. To my knowledge MPC never released a chopped '34 Ford that they could have used the tooling for to produce that body. So maybe there's a little hope. But it is possible they did some surgery on the Pinto sedan tooling for production of the Pinto pro stock kits that were produced, but since they did do some kind of repairs to the '64 Galaxy kit to resurrect it from the Modified Stocker series to its reissue as a production stock vehicle (even though it was a promo style) kit.

• 2 weeks later...