Model Cars Magazine Forum

Source for gears

I have found a source for gears that just may be useful for those builders requiring them constructing wreckers ,etc. My lovely and very understanding wife has COPD and one of her medications is  an Anoro Elipta inhaler. As any scratch builder would  I took one look at the delivery device for this daily dose  and found some very interesting uses for it. After de-constructing one of these for using the shape of the outer pieces for body profile sections for the antique travel trailers I like to build ,I found the gears inside. Some require trimming before use but that is no problem.

Here's what you'll find inside....11 total gears as follows.

2 that are.07" thick, x .70" wide  with 21 teeth

2 that are .07" thick x .48"wide  with 16 teeth

3 that are .07" thick x ..60" wide with 19 teeth

1 that is .062" thick x .58 wide with 21 teeth

1 that is.062" thick x .60" wide with 20 teeth

1 that is .70" thick x .58" wide with 20 teeth

and one that is 1.15: wide x .060" thick with 39 teeth ,This one has a .84" opening center opening and is on the back side of the daily dose number counter dial.

If you know someone that uses this medication you might ask them to save the empty dispensers for you. This is a prescription only medication and very expensive @! about $ 400.00 for one month's doses' hope this helps you "gear heads" out a little.

2 hours ago, stitchdup said:

$400 dollars each???? I get them free and I'm happy to save them for anyone that wants them, though I'm not sure how your customs would be about empty medication canisters.

I only mentioned the price and the fact that it is a prescription medication to emphasize the fact that this is not something available over the counter for a couple dollars and cut it up for the parts.

3 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

What do these look like, out of curiosity?

Like little white plastic gears that are about 1/8" thick. Some have a small stem on the back that can easily be trimmed off with an Exacto or a sprue cutter. I don't have the skills to post photos to the forums or I would.

2 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Curious if this is the item your referring to anoro_article_585374.png.fcc856bb83c10e052658bac56066dd2a.png

Yes that is a full dispenser as the number 30  visible on the daily dosage counter. The largest gears is actually just behind that counter. On you get inside the thing and open it up there is one spot where 8 of the gears are visible. I recommend start your disassembly by pulling that red top piece down to the right and cutting off the tab that holds it in place .The rest of the de-construction can be done with a normal sized flat blade screw driver by inserting it into the sides and bottom and twisting it apart. There is also another medication also used for COPD that uses this same style dispenser.

Edited by misterNNL
fat fingers

You can get gears in countless sizes and variations by searching Ebay for watchmaker/clockmaker stuff. I got a box of hundreds of metal gears ranging from about two inches to tiny for basically free (1€ + shipping), but you should at least be able to find something for less than $50 that will last a modeler's lifetime.

9 hours ago, mattg said:

You can get gears in countless sizes and variations by searching Ebay for watchmaker/clockmaker stuff. I got a box of hundreds of metal gears ranging from about two inches to tiny for basically free (1€ + shipping), but you should at least be able to find something for less than $50 that will last a modeler's lifetime.

I have also used that type for some steam punk themed things I have built. These are always made of very thin metal and not the best suited for building wrecker truck booms. Do you have any Fusee chain available ? would like to get a few more pieces.

An extra word of caution is necessary here. There is a small dia steel spring inside two of the gears that have a rather large shaft on them. That is what allows the dosage mechanism to rewind for the next dose. I was cutting the gear off of one last night with my Exacto saw and when nearly done with the cut the spring popped the gear off and it flew about six feet. Just be careful when you cut those two apart.

Edited by misterNNL
My kindle thinks it knows what I'm trying to say.

On 1/14/2021 at 1:01 PM, stitchdup said:

$400 dollars each???? I get them free and I'm happy to save them for anyone that wants them, though I'm not sure how your customs would be about empty medication canisters.

The $ 400.00 is our cost every month for this medication. It is one of 11 meds she takes daily + her 24/7 oxygen.