Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 firebird

Great looking Firebird, I had a Camaro of the same vintage. There are pickup kits with decals for the wood bed floors that would be one possibility . I would see if your local hobby shop caries Gopher Decals that offers decal sets for wood trim. For myself I like to do this sort of detail by hand, sort of like finger painting when we were young. 

2 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking Firebird, I had a Camaro of the same vintage. There are pickup kits with decals for the wood bed floors that would be one possibility . I would see if your local hobby shop caries Gopher Decals that offers decal sets for wood trim. For myself I like to do this sort of detail by hand, sort of like finger painting when we were young. 

Thanks for the reply I have tried to do simulate the burl pattern on some scrap sheet styrene, but as of yet I'm not happy with the results. Best effort so far has been to start with a medium brown & try to dab a darker brown over it.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Thanks Casey. Looks like There may be some good tips in the articles. I've been practicing a bit, but not satisfied with my work so far. I did find a vinyl decal of burled wood that goes over a play station controller, but I think the scale is to big.

19 hours ago, mark 23 said:

Thanks for the reply I have tried to do simulate the burl pattern on some scrap sheet styrene, but as of yet I'm not happy with the results. Best effort so far has been to start with a medium brown & try to dab a darker brown over it.

I was going to replay with a description of how I have done the wood treatment in the past starting with a much lighter colored base coat. After seeing the photo that Exotic Builder sent I would suggest going that route since it's very realistic looking, to me anyway, and  would be a lot easier to do. 

11 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

I had a decal sheet in my stash that I bought from Hobby Link Japan that was very close.  I used it on my 68 Firebird Sprint.  I will check if the have the manufacturer info still available.  I have some left, but not for trade.

image.png.1af82dc681cbc4cb42b149db0e3f88ed.png

I found a site called Uschi & they offer a decal sheet called truckers delight that has 6 different burls. It's made for those who build semi trucks. I just ordered a set from Andy's Hobby Headquarter's.

3 hours ago, mark 23 said:

I found a site called Uschi & they offer a decal sheet called truckers delight that has 6 different burls. It's made for those who build semi trucks. I just ordered a set from Andy's Hobby Headquarter's.

I have that set.  It is pretty good.  I will still check my stash this PM.  The decal sheet I used MAY have been Scale Equipment versus HLJ.  If Scale Equipment, they don't do those any more.

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2021 at 10:55 AM, mark 23 said:

Any ideas on how to recreate or simulate the fake wood burl on the dashboard & the console ? I'm building a replica of my old 69 firebird. This pic shows the interior color of my old car.

IMG_3430.jpg

Finished the interior of my model. I used Uschi Truckers Delight decals. It is an assortment of decals primarily for guys who build semi truck & want to detail the interior. I used about 1/8 of the sheet of the burl pattern. Put down a coat of Testor wood color first, then the decal, then decal setter, & finished with a coat of Testor's dullcoat spray. I used the Model Master photoetched  kit for the 68 firebird for the detail stuff.

100_1138.JPG

100_1140.JPG