Model Cars Magazine Forum

New International COE CO4070A!

Warren D

From a post on Jamie's FB page:

Call me Tim The Keeper of Secrets. I've been keeping this one since early fall 2019. Round2 will be issuing a 1/25th scale International Transtar CO4070A model kit. This is not a direct reissue of the 1973 Ertl kit #8000 as those molds/tools are long gone.
It's not a re-pop or a re-issue.
The new version of the Transtar CO4070A cabover is a 100% NEW TOOL. Round2 using my original Ertl #8000 kit had it 3D scanned to create CAD drawings so that the kit could be reworked and created again. Each part had to be removed from the sprues and scanned. The NEW TOOL will feature new parts layout, a new chrome tree with different chrome parts than the original. Some shapes that the original kit didn't capture or didn't fit as well as they should have been corrected.
Round2's design and creative guys have been working on this for months and months with the 1st test shots being run 2 months ago. After sorting out issues and trouble spots and corrections made, another run of test shots were just made with more tweaking and subtle fixes to be made before the final release of the kit which Round2 is hoping will be late spring.
I've been knee-deep in this from the beginning and am extremely pleased that Round2 has brought this to fruition.
Here are some of the subtle changes you will see in the Round2 NEW TOOL AMT branded International Transtar CO4070A:
1 color plastic (no red plastic to cause paint issues)
New parts layout.
Cleaner molding parting seams.
Non-chromed 5th wheel.
Non-chromed spoke wheels.
Non-chromed air cleaner piping.
Non-chromed manifold and lower exhaust pipes.
Air horn shape corrected with open trumpet ends - no more flat end with large visible seam.
Right hand step reworked to clear the tire.
Front axle placement adjusted to clear battery box.
Front axle track-width narrowed so the tires sit under the cab properly.
Optional chrome plated 10-hole Alcoa Front Runner steer wheels
1 piece vinyl tires
Separately molded windshield A-pillar wind deflectors.
Round2's art department will be producing a new instruction booklet, new decals and new box art (in the flavor and style of the original kit).
You won't be disappointed with this NEW TOOL kit. It builds as easily if not easier that the 1973 Ertl original.
I built this test shot on Tuesday.
This is a great time to be a truck modeler!
Tim
Edited by Warren D

WOW!!!!!! Thanks for the Information! One of the Holy Grail's of truck models is coming back! The Truck is Just Awesome, the pictures of it built not painted and painted, just shoot this out of the park. Also love the pictures of the parts! You have just made my day. 

MSRP - $71.95

I feel that's a fair price for an all new tool semi, that's one if the most requested original kits out there. Especially considering the $270 discount over what an original one will run you these days. 

Although I'm sure plenty of people will disagree...loudly.

10 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

MSRP - $71.95

I feel that's a fair price for an all new tool semi, that's one if the most requested original kits out there. Especially considering the $270 discount over what an original one will run you these days. 

Not me, seems fair.  Beats $300-350 for the original if you can find one.  The improvements sound great. 

14 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

...I’m really liking that supercharged? engine.

It's a Detroit Diesel, I thought it had much better detail than the AMT versions.

But now, as it relates to the production years of the 4070As, a couple of questions to cure my senility about them:  what year did that style of Alcoa Front Runners first come out? And what's the name of the 10-holes that were just an overall dome shape in cross section, no raised flat area for the lugnuts? That style from an AMT kit is what I put on my ancient history build of this kit.

7 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

I’m not even into truck models. At all. But that is cool. I’m really liking that supercharged? engine. 

6 hours ago, Russell C said:

It's a Detroit Diesel, I thought it had much better detail than the AMT versions.

But now, as it relates to the production years of the 4070As, a couple of questions to cure my senility about them:  what year did that style of Alcoa Front Runners first come out? And what's the name of the 10-holes that were just an overall dome shape in cross section, no raised flat area for the lugnuts? That style from an AMT kit is what I put on my ancient history build of this kit.

Technically these engines , in non-turbo form are considered  naturally aspirated and not supercharged. These were 2 stroke cycle engines without intake valves and the blower was necessary for the engine to run.

The old AMT 10 hole wheels were meant to represent tube type split rims that use a lock ring to secure the tire. The AMT representation definitely did not capture these rims perfectly. The 10 hole rims pictured as optional here look like the ones from the Transtar II kit and the 4300 kit. These are representative of tubeless one piece rims. I’m not sure what year these became a available but the 4070 A was available until 73. These rims are pictured on a Western Star in a 1973 issue of Overdrive magazine so they would have been available  for this truck in 73 although the drives in this kit would still represent tube type rims.

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

So this issue is basically a reverse engenering kit that has some corrected parts of an Original issue kit? As this is what they done to the Mack Cruiseliner. Yes the molds would be new, but are based on the old kit with some of the minor issues fixed. and some parts changed in locations. That being said I'll at least buy one so it can be built to look like the one my older brother got for Christmas in 1973. I did a replica of the 4070 a that I got that Christmas already. Then there is my green and white 4070 a, and my non painted cab 4070 a. Note the Red with white was missing the bumper which had since been replaced ,and added to the truck.

0trans.jpg

DSC04098.JPG

DSC04228.JPG

Edited by ranma

20 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

MSRP - $71.95

I paid less then $100 for mine, but that was over 15 years ago, and when the new one washes up on our shores, it will be close to that, so still a good deal.

Anyway, great to see they improved another yet another vintage model, so on my shopping list for '22 (for me '21 will be a carbon copy of '20)

Edited by Luc Janssens