Model Cars Magazine Forum

New International COE CO4070A!

Warren D

2 hours ago, John1955 said:

I wish Round 2 would label re-issues properly, give credit where credit is due. Put the ERTL name on those, and mold the chassis in black as Ertl did. Round 2 keeps labeling MPC re-issues as "AMT" as well. 

Round2 doesn't own the name Ertl. That trademark (along with all the farm/construction kits) stayed with Tomy who still actively use the Ertl name within their line of dieast items.

On 4/18/2021 at 9:00 AM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Ebay seems to have a lot of people trying to sell there A and B model Transtars before the new one comes out, but I found this one very interesting. I hope that this isn’t going to be the normal for the new kit.

44B4A8C2-AD56-492E-ACA7-B32C851970B4.png.3a5dee0ec95067432fab51fa96f9ae14.png

How Generous....Free Shipping....

I can't believe I missed this. I have wanted one of these for so long, but the cost of NOS or used kits were just beyond what I am willing to spend. I like to build my kits and I just have a hard time shelling out $400 for a kit and then cracking the seal to build it. 

I pre-ordered mine and I am beyond excited about this. This has been on my dream list for so long, it almost does not seem real that it is really going to be made. 

THANK YOU ROUND2!!!

On 5/3/2021 at 8:34 AM, niteowl7710 said:

Round2 doesn't own the name Ertl. That trademark (along with all the farm/construction kits) stayed with Tomy who still actively use the Ertl name within their line of dieast items.

Yes, that's now true. What causes some confusion is that Ertl bought AMT in 1982, and labeled some kits as AMT or AMT/Ertl. Then in 1989, Ertl was purchased by Racing Champions but they were only interested in the diecast market, not plastic kits, so later, Round 2 made AMT branded kits and bought AMT completely in 2012. See what I mean about confusing? 

8 hours ago, John1955 said:

Yes, that's now true. What causes some confusion is that Ertl bought AMT in 1982, and labeled some kits as AMT or AMT/Ertl. Then in 1989, Ertl was purchased by Racing Champions but they were only interested in the diecast market, not plastic kits, so later, Round 2 made AMT branded kits and bought AMT completely in 2012. See what I mean about confusing? 

Well no, after 6 years of doing a weekly modeling YouTube show I have all of that pretty well memorized, plus I lived through it like everyone else. 

My point was they can't use the Ertl name right now in 2021 as they don't own the trademark to it since Racing Champions/RC2 sold out to Tomy. Tomy still uses the Ertl name for all their diecast farm & construction equipment. So Round2 would have to pay some sort of licensing fee to Tomy to use the name. Also as others have pointed out while this is based on that Ertl 4070A kit, the entire kit from top to bottom, stem to stern is entirely brand new tooling, so technically this one isn't made by Ertl. 

Frankly the use of brand names (which Revell also constantly aloffends with use of Revell vs. Monogram) is less confusing to the average modeler than wrapping EVERYTHING in a vintage box. Stuff like the 1990s Era kits like the Edsel, 67 Mustangs, '67 Impala, '70 Monte Carlo certainly all look great sitting a shelf in a store. But when some kits really are 50+ yrs old and some are were the newest kits AMT/Ertl made before "the end" in 1998, (or like this 4070A and Nova wagon are entirely brand new in 2021) knowing what you're actually getting in any given box without knowing kit history is far more confusing. 

Edited by niteowl7710

14 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Well no, after 6 years of doing a weekly modeling YouTube show I have all of that pretty well memorized, plus I lived through it like everyone else. 

My point was they can't use the Ertl name right now in 2021 as they don't own the trademark to it since Racing Champions/RC2 sold out to Tomy. Tomy still uses the Ertl name for all their diecast farm & construction equipment. So Round2 would have to pay some sort of licensing fee to Tomy to use the name. Also as others have pointed out while this is based on that Ertl 4070A kit, the entire kit from top to bottom, stem to stern is entirely brand new tooling, so technically this one isn't made by Ertl. 

Not everyone has a YouTube show about modeling and it IS confusing to the average modeler and I didn't say it was being made by Ertl.  And although I don't have a YouTube channel, I did actually work in the plastics industry with the actual kits fresh out of the molds. I also already knew what your point was and I wasn't disagreeing with you. A kit based on an Ertl kit not made by Ertl is fine with me. But why bother with new tooling? That original Ertl kit was as near perfect as a kit can get. Who owns the original Ertl tooling since Tomy isn't interested in making plastic products? 

It is very expensive to create new molds for injection molding, and there is no need to do that if the original Ertl molds still exist somewhere. My father was a long haul trucker, so was my uncle and I was a passenger many times in IH big rigs and those original Ertl molds really nailed it. And I also still say that Round 2 should label MPC kits as MPC kits and AMT kits as AMT kits. Sheesh! 

1 hour ago, John1955 said:

Not everyone has a YouTube show about modeling and it IS confusing to the average modeler and I didn't say it was being made by Ertl.  And although I don't have a YouTube channel, I did actually work in the plastics industry with the actual kits fresh out of the molds. I also already knew what your point was and I wasn't disagreeing with you. A kit based on an Ertl kit not made by Ertl is fine with me. But why bother with new tooling? That original Ertl kit was as near perfect as a kit can get. Who owns the original Ertl tooling since Tomy isn't interested in making plastic products? 

It is very expensive to create new molds for injection molding, and there is no need to do that if the original Ertl molds still exist somewhere. My father was a long haul trucker, so was my uncle and I was a passenger many times in IH big rigs and those original Ertl molds really nailed it. And I also still say that Round 2 should label MPC kits as MPC kits and AMT kits as AMT kits. Sheesh! 

The ERTL tool no longer exists. AMT had to scan an original if modellers ever wanted to build the CO4070A. Tim Ahlborn has covered the improvements AMT has made as well. I’m just happy it’s coming.

Ben

What Ben said above is correct.   Round2 scanned an original Ertl Transtar CO4070A kit, a new CAD drawing was made and the kit was re-engineered from there.  The tool/mold for the original kit was altered in 1975 and is no longer viable.  While the subject is the same as the original kit and the original kit served as the hopping off point, the kit is all new. New parts layout, some new parts, added detail.    Regarding the brand names - as someone else said, Round2 has no rights or claim to use the trademark name "Ertl".  Round2 bought the AMT kit line that included many Ertl developed kits and it included the MPC developed truck kits.   Ertl bought the MPC truck kits in the 70's and rebranded them as Ertl kits.  Ertl modifed the tool for the DM800/Rex Mixer into the IH Paystar/Rex Mixer.    The DM600, DM800 and Gravel Trailer were originally MPC kits but sold for years branded as Ertl.   When Round2 obtained the MPC brand they applied the MPC brand back on the DM600, DM800 and the Gravel trailer.

Use of the AMT brand on what were once Ertl kits is correct.   

Tim

Edited by mackinac359

Cool, thanks for the info. I knew most of that already, but some was new to me, always glad to get new info. Now, if we only get Round2 to stop labeling old MPC kits as AMT kits as I said before. It appears they've taken steps to do that. 

BSchat1.jpg

BSchat3.jpg

BSchat4.jpg

Well Round 2 owns the AMT, MPC, Polar Lights and Lindberg Hawk brands now so they can use the correct branding if they want to, the only brand they can't use is ERTL without permission from Tomy.

Edited by Force

• 11 months later...

I am not a truck builder but went out and purchased one at 75 dollars. Went to my club meeting last week and one of our model vendors had one for 50 and yes, I purchased it. They are very nice. Now if only I can have a million pictures of the 1/1 engine, it would make me very happy. Even ordered a nice P/E Detail Set for it.....

• Like 1

I'm real late to this party, but it sure is nice to see an oldie reverse-engineered and brought back.

It's probably a better business case doing an expensive kit, like this, that's most likely going to appeal to adults, but there's still a buncha graybeards out there who'd happily pay to get reverse-engineered repops of unobtanium kits from their yoot.

Fewer every day though...  ;)

I had the original kit back when it first came out in 1974,it was pretty neat then too.I always wanted another but couldnt bring my self to pay the crazy prices on ebay and similar places like that,Was able to get one of the repop ones this past weekend at the Carlisle swap meet,a seller had them there for 38.00.Here where i live they are 89.00,so i couldnt pass it up. harvey

I said in the mag and I'll say it again here.

This is an excellent kit. The new molds are super crisp, well detailed, well numbered, and are basically the opposite of what we've come to expect from AMT's truck reissues. I still like the subject matter, but some of these recent AMT truck re-pops are frustrating to build. This International is like building a Tamiya kit. Everything fits, there is no vagueness to the instructions or numbering system. It just falls together.  

For anyone considering trying a truck kit, this is the one to start with.

I'll end up building another for sure.

On 5/6/2021 at 3:55 PM, John1955 said:

Cool, thanks for the info. I knew most of that already, but some was new to me, always glad to get new info. Now, if we only get Round2 to stop labeling old MPC kits as AMT kits as I said before. It appears they've taken steps to do that. 

BSchat1.jpg

BSchat3.jpg

BSchat4.jpg

None of those boxings are Round 2s doing, two are from Racing Champions and the gravel trailer even says ERTL on the box, so don't blame R2 for the misinformation. They didn't own the company when these were made.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

• 4 weeks later...

Just received my copy yesterday, and all that I could say was WOW! when I was examining it! 
Absolutely stunning recreation!

I remember when me neighbours had it back in c.1976 -- I wanted my own copy in the worst way! 
But, its retail price at the time (around $5 or $6 at Sears) was more than my allowance could afford.

A couple of enquiries regarding this c.1968-c.1974 rig:

1.) Were all 8V-71 Detroit engines painted medium-dark red in these tractors?

2.) Frame & Chassis: what colours were available?

3.) Interior colours: it would appear that there were at least 4 different colours employed -- what was most common?

4.) Any of the above available in special order colours?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Back in the day when these rigs were new,IH used to paint all the engines in their trucks red,just like KW and peterbilt  engines were white,ford used to paint their motors blue.It was pretty standard practice back then.You could get the frame and chassis in any color as long as you wanted to pay for it.The IH trucks then were mostly a fleet truck,they were pretty basic trucks,there wasnt much chrome on them,you had to buy a higher priced truck to get some nice features.The transtar interior was almost always the goldish-tan color on any surface that was painted steel,the seats were always brown or black,the dash was the same too.The transtar 2 was a nicer truck, the eagle series was aimed at the owner-operator market.They were also popular with the big fleets too.Back in the day you never seen a transtar with any extra chrome,the only chrome on a lot of them was the door handles and the roof lights,even a lot of them had the small lights,not the bullet style of lights. harvey

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The only engine painted a different color back in the day in Internationals was their own V800 wich mostly was medium blue metallic to distinguish them from the other engines, otherwise the engines were red as Harvey said.
Tha V800 engine can be found in the ERTL and AMT 4300 Transtar Eagle, the Paystar 5000, the S-Series F-2575 and F-2674.

• Thanks 1