Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shaker cans leaking.

They blew a gasket.

From loneliness. 

I had some old Testors paint cans in the garage that did the same thing. I figured it was age, temperature and neglect. I threw them out.

I do remember they gave off a bad smell as the solvents leaked out.

I can't imagine having them leak indoors. Hope yours didn't make a big mess.

I remember this being discussed here before. Like so many others I have also had this problem. In my case this was primarily  with Testors products but I have had the same issue with Model Master paints also. The goo you mentioned would be around the bottom of the can and would harden with time. This may have to do with how long you have stored the paint. The problem cans I have are usually ones that I have had for a couple of years or more. I have been fortunate to have been able to still use the cans that I have.  Stored at normal home temperature  you wouldn't expect this to happen but it does seem to be a problem with some brands.  

13 minutes ago, espo said:

..I remember this being discussed here before. Like so many others I have also had this problem. In my case this was primarily with Testors products but I have had the same issue with Model Master paints also. 

Model Master is Testors.

I've had similar problems with both.

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

... I think it's the propellant leaking out. If you have an airbrush, you can still use the paint inside.

A lot of times it's the clear "binder" (sometimes called "vehicle") that the pigment is suspended in too.

Binder refers to substances that hold the particles of pigment together in paint. All paints include a binder of some sort because this is what keeps the pigment in place after the paint dries.

That's the gooey mess that gets the can firmly glued to wherever it's sitting.

You may or may not be able to recover the contents by decanting; you might need to add more clear, and the paint might have lost other secondary chemicals as well.

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

Would it still happen if your stored them upside down ?

Good question. If the lower seal fails, you'd still lose propellant, but the paint itself might still be OK after decanting.

3 hours ago, cobraman said:

Would it still happen if your stored them upside down ?

If you're losing your goo, it could ooze out either end.

(I'll leave that statement up to whatever interpretation you entertain.)

Most people store their paint right side up, so most people experience bottom edge seepage.  It's just following the path of least resistance, but gravity seems to play a role. 

??

4 hours ago, Rodent said:

Modelmaster lacquers are the only ones I have had the issue with. I have some "regular" Testors and some MM enamels that are closing in on 30 years old and they aren't leaking.

I should double-check the Daytona yellow paint... I just might be wrong... ?

20 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

A lot of times it's the clear "binder" (sometimes called "vehicle") that the pigment is suspended in too.

Binder refers to substances that hold the particles of pigment together in paint. All paints include a binder of some sort because this is what keeps the pigment in place after the paint dries.

That's the gooey mess that gets the can firmly glued to wherever it's sitting.

You may or may not be able to recover the contents by decanting; you might need to add more clear, and the paint might have lost other secondary chemicals as well.

It'll still work fine through an airbrush. Years ago, when I still had an airbrush, I had a can of Fathom Green that had lost it's propellant. I drilled a hole in the can, dumped it into a jar, mixed it well and sprayed it. I didn’t even have to add thinner.