Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kits they never issued- but should have

2 hours ago, The Junkman said:

So, does the rust get included in the molding or can rust decals suffice?  How about the requisite fallen/missing body parts.

There'll be instructions on how to add rust holes ; decals will cover (no pun intended) the rest of the oxidation . Missing parts will be... bonuses ! Like extra tyres and wheels .

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

There'll be instructions on how to add rust holes ; decals will cover (no pun intended) the rest of the oxidation . Missing parts will be... bonuses ! Like extra tyres and wheels .

That will be my next purchase then, a complete and accurate replica.

4 hours ago, cobraman said:

I would like to see at least one of the Alfa B.A.T cars and while I am wishing how about the Bordinat Cobra.

Paul Fisher made a resin kit of that until he got burnt out in the Camp Fire of 2018.  I've seen one in the "flesh" at the Blackhawk Auto Museum and on the back of a flatbed tow truck (undoubtedly the same one) on an interstate nearby Blackhawk.  That would be a worthy endeavor with extremely limited sales potential, unfortunately.  I thought I read a couple of days back that 3 B.A.T.'s were going on the auction block soon.

http://fishermodels.indiemade.com/product/alfa-romeo-bat-5-124?tid=2

Edited by The Junkman

Just a reminder for those of you who already own the book "Collecting Muscle Car Model Kits", that at the end of most chapters there is a sidebar listing the most blatantly missing model car kits of notable topics covered in that chapter.   Some of the posts above capture some of the same ones listed in the book. 

For those that do not have the book, here's an example.  This is the "Missing in Action" sidebar from the chapter that covers all the Pony Car model kits other than the Mustang and Camaro (which are covered in their own separate chapter)...

MISSING IN ACTION

“Other Ponycars that are yet to appear in a 1/24th-1/25th scale kit

* 1967 ½ Firebird Convertible

* 1967-69 Barracuda Hardtop and Convertible

* 1969 (w/CJ-428); 1971 (w/429); & 1972 (w Cleveland 351 HO) Cougar Convertibles 

* 1970 ’cuda Convertible w/426 Hemi or 440 3+2 Wedge

* 1973-73 Pontiac Firebird Formula or Trans-Am with correct 455 Super Duty V8

Other Ponycars that need a new/modern kit offering

* 1964 ½ - 1966 Barracuda  

* 1967-68 Barracuda Formula S Fastback

* 1967-68 Cougar XR-7 and/or GT-E (1968 only)

* 1968-70 Javelin w/390 V8 and Go Package

* 1970 ½ Firebird Formula or Trans-Am with correct 400 R/A  IV V8

* 1971 (R/T), 1972-73 (Rallye) Challenger Hardtop with 340 V8; 1974 Challenger Rallye with E58 HO 360 V8 

* 1971 Firebird Formula or Trans-Am with correct 455 HO V8

* 1971-72 Cougar Hardtop w/ GT Appearance Package  

* 1971-74 Javelin AMX with correct 401 V8 

Don't know about you guys, but I would sure like to see some of these make a new appearance in 1/25th...

By the way, for those that don't already have it, the book is still available from the usual suspects including CarTechBooks.com and Amazon.com, along with Kalmbach.com, AutoWorldStore.com, Model Roundup, and your local bookseller (probably by advance order).... 

Cheers   TIM 

DSC 0572

18 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

* 1967-68 Cougar XR-7 and/or GT-E (1968 only)

The latter model was a 427-powered model , no ? Unfortunately , my knowledge of Mercury's offerings is quite limited... but , I could swear that I read about the 1968 GT-E Cougar being equipped with a 427 though the Mustang could be had with the 428 --- something about solid lifters and lack-of A/C ? 

*  1972-73 (Rallye) Challenger Hardtop with 340 V8; 1974 Challenger Rallye with E58 HO 360 V8

Whatever happened to the old MPC Challenger tooling ? Did it merely "vanish" after the 1974 annual / promo were produced ? I know that MPC continued to offer only the Hemi---even in the Barracuda kits-- even after that was cancelled after 1971, and that  a proper 340 / 360 wasn't offered outside of the A-Body annuals .   

More thoughts-

1962-1964 Studebaker GT Hawks

Newer Cadillacs with the clean, edgy styling

MG A roadster

MG B roadster

Cab forward Chryslers- Concorde, 300M, etc.

Definitely a Riviera boat tail- with custom options!

Phantom Corsair

John Cobb's Railton Mobile Special

On 1/14/2021 at 9:57 PM, Vince Nemanic said:

I would guess that less than 5% of the cars ever made were issued, so this could be a LOOOONG thread. 

In the mid 1980s, I was photographing the cars at the Goodguys show in Pleasanton, and a man about 30 years older than me said he had seen me at the model display. He asked me if they made a model of a 1948 Hudson 4 door with the lay down seats. I told his that I read the model companies needed to sell 100,000 kits (at that time) in order to break even. He said they didn't make that many of the real car, but that HE would buy one. He got a bit mad when I told him that he just needed to line up 99,999 more kit sales.

Master Caster made Hudson promos for several years (1948/1949, 1950, 1951, 1954, 1955):

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.SS9JbEWiKSqOpK7FmW7vGwAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Speaking of the Valiant , how about a two door or hard top from say 1961 ?? Maybe it's just me but I thought they were the best looking in their market range at the time. The 4- Barrel equipped  225 cu in slant 6 and a 3 speed on the floor. Compared to the Falcons and Chevy IIs of the day these cars would run away and hide from them.