Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kits they never issued- but should have

On 1/16/2021 at 10:38 AM, Greg Myers said:

s-l300 (1).jpg

You're kidding, right?! :blink:

Nope. I taught high school auto shop in the late seventies. This was certainly one of the most popular cars, being cheep and available to my young students.

Have you tried building that AMT promo chassis poor excuse for a model kit from this era lately ?

download (4).jpg

images (3).jpg

download (6).jpg

1 hour ago, Greg Myers said:

Nope. I taught high school auto shop in the late seventies. This was certainly one of the most popular cars, being cheep and available to my young students.

Have you tried building that AMT promo chassis poor excuse for a model kit from this era lately ?

download (4).jpg

images (3).jpg

download (6).jpg

Oh, you mean a NEW tool. I thought you meant reissue the old AMT. Which just came back recently. 

I think Revell could have the easiest time with this. Just take the convertible kit, make a hardtop body - done!

Please add a GT option package with a pony interior for added appeal, Please.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

7 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Oh, you mean a NEW tool. I thought you meant reissue the old AMT. Which just came back recently. 

I think Revell could have the easiest time with this. Just take the convertible kit, make a hardtop body - done!

Please add a GT option package with a pony interior for added appeal, Please.

A TOTALLY new tool.....

3 hours ago, sfhess said:

A TOTALLY new tool.....

Kits they never issued

A new kit of a subject never offered.  The 1/25 AMT '66 Mustang coupe has been reissued many times, so it doesn't qualify as a kit never issued. AMT annuals from late '64 on, Monogram 1/24 kits from '64.5 through '66, the Renwal/Revell 1/12 '66, the AMT 1/16 '64.5, the 1/32 scale versions....literally one of the most popular subjects which have been issued.

49 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Yes. Revell dropped the ball there. They had a good roll on mustangs then just stopped

At one point a few years ago, there was at least one other early Mustang replica (new tool) under consideration.   Whatever chance it had was swept away by the Hobbico debacle.  Having said that, the new 1971 Mustang tool kits, if they sell well, might possibly open the door for other first generation new tooled Mustang kits to be considered in the future.  TIM

Seems like I've seen this thread before, but must have been another of similar theme.  I like different.

VW Thing (not the Kubelwagon, got that).  This pickup version is cool, but the 4 door would be good.
1005777039_VWThing.jpg.f8fa54664704bfa2be714c273426ff21.jpg

Lamborghini 350 GTV.  This is the prototype, the "regular" ones have oval headlights, that would be good too.
1350923655_1963Lambo350GTV.jpg.38ab6c10294cebd7a8022dc4f51a0206.jpg

Lamborghini LM002 (Le Moo Two), Rambo's Lambo.  I've seen a resin built model, I of course want to built it.
955273952_88LamborghiniLM002.jpg.73ba3f01a295c36c2ac571763e1c95a4.jpg

'Merican, '57 Dodge Sweptside.  I know there are die-casts cheap on eBay.
1150636962_57DodgeSweptside.jpg.c2423875553c32c82ac9c3a9e887f955.jpg

On 1/15/2021 at 12:52 AM, The Junkman said:

An F150 kit from sometime later than 1997.  Come ON!  Its the most purchased vehicle  in the US going back forever and one snapkit of a 5 year old Raptor is the best they can do?

Late model Ram pickup

Modern F250/350 with differing cab options.  A dually would be awesome

Agree on the modern pickups, and especially agree on the F150 comment! You would think, that with how many are sold, they would see that there would be a market for a scale (non-snap) version of them!

So many....

V12 Packards.

Never-done or new 1954-'59 Buick/Olds/Pontiac/Cadillacs.

More Forward-Look Mopars. The moulds are gone, the kits from Jo-Han aren't coming back. I will volunteer my 1955 Dodge, once restored, for any manufacturer that would like to measure it up.

I'd like to see Moebius do a 1948-'50 Hudson. It would require a lot of new parts, but a lot of them would carry over, too.

A new 1958 Ford (listening, Revell?)

A Chrysler or DeSoto Airflow.

More 1940s cars that aren't Fords.

A shark-nosed Graham.

Any LaSalle, especially the 1934-'36 or 1940 models.

A Marmon V16. Just for something totally off the wall.

A Stanley Steamer.

New pickup trucks, meaning post-'90s. We really need these.

1992-2011 Panther-chassis Fords.

Lincoln Mk. III-VIII.

Correct, properly-done 1933-'36 Fords, especially a wagon.

Stock 1937-'38 Fords.

1939-'48 Mercuries.

1930s Plymouth or Dodge (aside from the Lindberg 1/32 cars).

STOCK 1937 Lincoln Zephyr.

1977-'90 Caprice/Impala, or any other B-body, and a correct 1986-'92 Cadillac Brougham.

1979-'91 Panthers.

More 1930s luxury cars.

1971-'73 Riviera.

1971-'76 GM wagons. I like the Buick and Olds best, but I'll take any of them.

1978-'87 Pontiac Grand Prix

Pontiac Solstice

The new Chrysler Pacifica is a cool-looking van.

2010-'19 Ford Taurus with police parts or an SHO.

2011-up Dodge Charger/Chrysler 300.

To appeal to the masses, perhaps some contemporary SUVs, like a Grand Cherokee, Suburban/Tahoe, Explorer or Expedition.

Some modern, non high-end cars. Make the models relatable, and priced right (around $15-20), and kids might buy, especially if simple, like the Academy Hyundais, although hopefully with a little better engraving.

Olds Vista Cruiser/Buick Sport Wagon.

Fuselage-body Mopars.

A properly-detailed 2015-up Mustang.

More brass-era cars.

The list goes on.

Charlie Larkin

• Thanks 1

A few ideas, not previously released in 1/24-25 acc to my knowledge

Lancias

- B24 Spider ca 1955. Just a very beautiful convertible

- Fulvia coupé with parts for both rallying and track racing
       Was very succesful in rallying with serveral renowned drivers, e.g. Harry Källström, Simo Lampinen; Pat Moss-Carlsson, Sandro Munari....

Astura Convertible ca 1937. A large, beautiful and magnificent car in general

Bentley

The S1/ S2 Continentals from the ca 1956/57, had somewhat larger glass areas vs earlier version, creating a lighter "green-house".
    Slingle lamp execution, not twin
    They were both as 2-d fastback coupé, a 2-d notchback coupe and a 4-d saloon, all beautiful and stately

Ferrari
Yes there is the issue of Licencing, but ...

- The ca 1959 Pinin Farina 250 GT Coupé
        A very clean and elegant design. The first Ferrari to be built in a series production, though still low numbers

- The ca 1965-66 GTC Coupé and the GTS convertible. Single lamp execution
       Both very beautiful and seems now to gain interest in the classic car world

- The 1963-65 250/275 250 P in spyder version
      Very dominant in sports car racing these years. The coupe version was the last Ferrari to win LeMans overall in 1965.
      And LeMans -63/64 was won by the same car , a spyder with 250 engine in -63, a 275 engine in -64.
      The only Ferrari ever to win two LeMans. Came up for sale a few years ago, was then believed to be the most expensive car ever sold.
      Outcome unknown for me.
      In my opinion the spyders look much better than the coupés.
      Monogram did a spyder, a slot car body, which looked fairly ok, but was very simple and pehaps acc to my eyes a little oversize. 
     There has also been a simple model of the coupe.
     Of such a legendary car there ought to be a fully detailed model with engine etc

-  Naturally "any" of the legendary 40´s and 50´s competition sports cars

Mercedes

- The 1960- 71 W111 2-d / 4 seater coupé and/ or convertible, initially 220 SE with 2,2 litr inline 6 cyl, last years also with a 3,5 litr V8.
      In the last years the radiator/bonnet was slightly lowered, nick-named the "Flach-kühler", very sought after in todays classic car market

- The ca 1957-60 300 Coupe and/ or Convertible
      A stately and imposing car, old fashioned styling with the fenders still not integrated in the body

Classic 60´s track and rally cars
There are goood selection of cars from the 70´s and later, but not so much from the earlier decade except the Mini and the Alpine 110.
So these would be interesting

- The Lancia Fulvia mentioned above

- Ford Cortina Lotus
      At the forefront in all kinds of racing during this decade with many great drivers;
      John Withmore, Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Jacky Ickx, Bo Ljungfeldt, Bengt Söderström, Vic Elford, Roger Clark.....

-  The Volvos PV 544 and Amazon
      Succcessful in European track racing and rallying until Volvo´s withdrawal after an accident 1963

- Saab
      Primarily the shortnose/bullnose 96 2-stroke 
      Mainly rallying, ref Erik Carlsson Monte Carlo wins -62 & 63 but also brave entries in the East African Safari Rallys for several years
      But also the V4s from ca 1969-71are interesting, quite dominant in Scandinavian rallys but also remarkable performances in the -69 & -70 Baja 1000.
      In the -71 Saab Safarientry a remarkable performance by one of the mechanics, Bernt Melin,
      jumping in as driver with only one or two days notification as one of the regular drivers, Tom Trana,  became ill.
      Melin finished 18th despite having to help with service job on the other Saab entry, driven by Stig Blomqvist.

Jaguar D-type

There is really no proper model of this most iconic racing sports car. The Lindberg kit I think do not do justice to it.
    Revell did the street version XK-SS,
    but that differs in many ways from the precedessor , the actual racing D-type

Re-releases

In addition to these presumably new models above, it would be nice to see re-releases of 
- the Revell Classics = MB W196 F1, The Moss-Jenkinson Mille Miglia-55 300 SLR, the Uhlenhaut 300 SL Coupé, BMW 507, Jaguar XK-SS
- the Tamiya Jaguar XK 120 and Mk2 and Italeri Ferrari 250 SWB -61
- AMT/ other Ford Falcon Futura Sprint -64 with proper rally equipment , the Monte Carlo car winning all the special stages with Bo Ljungfeldt at the wheel.

Would be busy by these kits for quite some time/ Gunnar

On 1/18/2021 at 11:04 PM, 89AKurt said:

Seems like I've seen this thread before, but must have been another of similar theme.  I like different.

You're not wrong. I think I've seen some variation of this theme a number of times here. 

Anyway...

Really though, to make it more than just a wish list, this thread should be about kits that have never been released and would make financial sense for a kit company to release them.

I mean, let's get real here. There are some awesome ideas here, but the reality is that many wouldn't sell in quantities big enough to justify the cost of tooling and production. 

Through that feasibility requirement into the mix, and the list just got a lot smaller.

Adding to Gunnar's Saabs, the 900 in Coupe, Hatchback and Convertible versions. Plus the Sonnet in some version.

Ford - Cortina Mk II and Iii The MkIi could also be the Lotus version. Any era Consul/Zephyr/Zodiac.

Vauxhall - VX220/Opel Speedster and the 'coke bottle' shaped 1970s saloons.

Triumph - 2000 Saloon or Estate in Mk I or II form, Vitesse Saloon or Converible, Herald (I know there is a 1/32 version by Airfix but a Converible or, preferably Coupe version), Spitfire, GT6. The latter 4 all share the same basic chassis.

BMC - Any of the Farina Saloons from 1960s, Morris Oxford, Austin Cambridge, etc.

TVR - Any. There are plenty of options. 

Morgan - Any of the non-traditional models. Are there kits of any of the 3 Wheelers?

There's probably loads of European cars that would justify a model apart from the 'classics'.

More front engined F1 and Indy cars from 1950s and 1960s, such as the Lotus 12 or 16. 

steve

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

You're not wrong. I think I've seen some variation of this theme a number of times here. 

Anyway...

Really though, to make it more than just a wish list, this thread should be about kits that have never been released and would make financial sense for a kit company to release them.

I mean, let's get real here. There are some awesome ideas here, but the reality is that many wouldn't sell in quantities big enough to justify the cost of tooling and production. 

Through that feasibility requirement into the mix, and the list just got a lot smaller.

Though what is feasable?  That's something for people with actual marketing experience,  and to honest, this is a pretty insular group when it comes to figuring out what that market actually is.   Not to mention, we've seen a number of kits of subjects over the years that all the self appointed experts assured us were hopeless speculation.

People probably don't know the market as well as they think, but they do know what they want.  The people who actually do this for a living are probably quite capable of figuring out which of those wants is actually feasible.

There are a lot of interesting ideas, but considering the cost of tooling now, it really makes sense in most cases to make something that is easy to modify into other years by changes in front grille and header panel, taillights and rear bumper, interior seating.  I've only listed some intermediates as an example:

'68-'71 Ranchero GT (with variations for buckets and bench seat, Squire woodgrain paneling), '72-'76 Ranchero GT, '77-'79 Ranchero GT

'70-'72 El Camino SS, '73-'77 El Camino SS (and GMC Sprint versions with different emblems that can be glued on)

'73-'77 Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Cutlass Supreme, Regal (including S/R in '76 & '77), '75 and '76 Century Indy Pace Car

'73-'77 Chevelle SS/Laguna S-3, '73 GTO, '73-'75 Grand Am, '77 Can Am, '73-'75 442 and GS, '76-'77 442 and Century 

'72-'73 Gran Torino Sport and Montego GT, '74-'76 Elite and Cougar, '77-'79 Thunderbird and Cougar

'75-'76 Charger and Cordoba '78-'79 Magnum, '80-'82 Mirada

Edited by Motor City
condense # of lines