Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Chevy Nostalgic Gasser Finally Complete

TransAmMike

I have had a WIP thread going on this car and now putting it in Under Glass section.

This was my first somewhat scratch build. The whole front tube axle/leaf spring assembly is scratch built, In my opinion it's a bit too high but, oh well. l Did the windows with colored acetate. I debated on the front wheels. At first was going with Torque Thrust 5-spoke but decided not to break up a set of 4 so went with parts box Centerlines. Headers are scratchbuilt using aluminum wire.The paint is Duplicolor Mica Toreador red.  A lot of minor flaws and some things could have been better but my work is also a WIP.

20210113_120426.jpg.41fc6187a4fea9c6d3e49f58aba68dae.jpg20210113_133430.jpg.2ee3f512521eae2e19dd11af557f08fd.jpg

20210113_132221.jpg.28348969f0a6ae3c5beac6c0853e4d8e.jpg20210113_133220.jpg.6a53a3c2a355868e6507bcab4845453f.jpg

20210112_131835.jpg.dea39a5dee22d75636f9e00af407d5b4.jpg

Thanks for looking,

• Like 1

Nice build Mike.
But I'm with you on the front being a bit too high, most of the gasser rules had a limit on how high the center of the crank shaft could be from the ground, I think it was about 24 inches or something like that

Thanks everyone for your comments, it's not exactly as I envisioned it but pretty close. And "Force", I had no idea about the 24" rule and as ya know I said I thought too high. But, in looking at old pictures it sure seems that there are some higher than 24". Anyway, thanks again Guys.

15 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Thanks everyone for your comments, it's not exactly as I envisioned it but pretty close. And "Force", I had no idea about the 24" rule and as ya know I said I thought too high. But, in looking at old pictures it sure seems that there are some higher than 24". Anyway, thanks again Guys.

One thing we can add is that most people calls all cars with the front up in the air Gassers but it's not really so as the class rules was pretty hard on what was required like engine placement, interior, lights, fenders and such, so Gassers were pretty much close to street legal.
Cars in the more free Altered class also had the same nose up in the air stance back in the day and many cars people call Gassers are in fact Altereds as they don't comply the rules for the Gas classes.

Edited by Force

• 2 weeks later...

I like it and you did a good job with the front axle. The paint and over all cleanly built model is a winner for me, no matter how high the front end is.

How did you tint the windows?

PS, I was going to say, Let the gasser purists begin urging but I see we are there already.  

Mike,

Looks good! Nice work on scratching the front assembly. I am doing the same right now on a 41 Willys pickup since I can't find what I need in the stash. 

I like the paint color too. And as for the stance, I don't think anyone is complaining (just stating information in a friendly way). I would just say that the car is in "launch mode".

Later-

On 1/31/2021 at 4:36 AM, Metaldrumm said:

Looks good ,but what matters is that your happy with it ,not what the rules are that only applies in 1:1 cars ,build to have fun .But if you claim a car is accurate then you should do so.nice work.

Well Brian thanks, I'll say I'm pretty happy with it but really did'nt meet my expectation. 

On 1/31/2021 at 7:41 AM, James2 said:

I like it and you did a good job with the front axle. The paint and over all cleanly built model is a winner for me, no matter how high the front end is.

How did you tint the windows?

PS, I was going to say, Let the gasser purists begin urging but I see we are there already.  

Thanks "Rooster", windows are red Acetate I had from Evergreen.

On 1/31/2021 at 7:58 AM, Kromolly said:

Very nice, clean build.  Looks cool.

Thanks Roy.

5 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Mike,

Looks good! Nice work on scratching the front assembly. I am doing the same right now on a 41 Willys pickup since I can't find what I need in the stash. 

I like the paint color too. And as for the stance, I don't think anyone is complaining (just stating information in a friendly way). I would just say that the car is in "launch mode".

Later-

Thanks Tom, I just walked by it in the curio cabinet I have the models in with the front facing forward and the first thing I thought was it looks like one of those jacked up 4-well drive trucks. Oh well. 

• 5 months later...