Model Cars Magazine Forum

2021 24 hr build choices

Modlbldr

I'm going to do the 24 hr build this year. I've been trying to decide which kit to settle on. This will be my first go at the 24 hr build. I did the 3 day challenge a few years ago over the 4th of July weekend and managed to complete the build of a Thom Taylor Vette Agin kit. It was a fun challenge so I thought that I would test my endurance and abilities with the 24 hr build.

So, here are a few of my choices. I'm looking for your input as to which I should do. I currently have it whittled down to two but can be swayed easily. I'm leaning towards the Dodge Stealth Turbo or the GTO funny car. Although the Acura Integra could be fun to build with a targa roof. (Keeping any mods simple)

Let me know what your thoughts are and if you feel like joining in on the 24 hr build this year contact Nacho Z.

Later-

IMG_20210114_091445548_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210114_100718859.jpg

Edited by Modlbldr

Well, Tom, I feel good about picking the GTO...lol. I think that is a good choice. Enough detail to look good but not so much to overwhelm you. One thing I did not mention in our conversation is that I also, more times than not, pick a model that I do not have a strong attachment to. Let’s face it, we are going to build all of them and they are all going to be Best of Show winners...lol, but in the previous 14 years that I have done this there are several years where I screwed up the model so bad I didn’t even come close to finishing it and put it back in the box and never looked at it again. And oddly for me, that didn’t bother me at all. I just didn’t have that strong of a feeling for the model.

Although I may build the GTO, I am actually leaning towards the Dodge Stealth. It is a nice kit with a clean casting. Also, I have had it so long and tried to get rid of it numerous times and nobody seems to want it. I really have no attachment to it.

Later-

4 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

One thing I did not mention in our conversation is that I also, more times than not, pick a model that I do not have a strong attachment to. Let’s face it, we are going to build all of them and they are all going to be Best of Show winners...lol, but in the previous 14 years that I have done this there are several years where I screwed up the model so bad I didn’t even come close to finishing it and put it back in the box and never looked at it again. And oddly for me, that didn’t bother me at all. I just didn’t have that strong of a feeling for the model.

Agreed! One year I built the Dodge D50 pickup because someone at a club meeting was selling it for $5.  A perfect throw away kit!

Edited by Tom Geiger

9 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Although I may build the GTO, I am actually leaning towards the Dodge Stealth. It is a nice kit with a clean casting. Also, I have had it so long and tried to get rid of it numerous times and nobody seems to want it. I really have no attachment to it.

Later-

LMAO  Exactly why I built mine like I did.  I bought it when AutoWeek reported that the Jap car was too controversial and was ditched, figured it would become a collectible, didn't know AMT popped a million of them, and the prices on eBay were about 10 cents more than I paid for it, on sale.  The biggest problem was the turbo pipe that comes around the left side over the engine, in fact all those pipes were a pain to get in.  Look at the engine bay.

Edited by 89AKurt
added link

8 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

LMAO  Exactly why I built mine like I did.  I bought it when AutoWeek reported that the Jap car was too controversial and was ditched, figured it would become a collectible, didn't know AMT popped a million of them, and the prices on eBay were about 10 cents more than I paid for it, on sale.  The biggest problem was the turbo pipe that comes around the left side over the engine, in fact all those pipes were a pain to get in.  Look at the engine bay.

I remember that build. You did an excellent job on it! I'll keep that info about the turbo pipe and the different length half shafts in mind.

Hey! From my advice posted on the 24 Hr page..

1. (as I said above) pick a cheap expendable kit to have fun with. This is a quick build so you don’t have to be super careful. You may choose to forget about cleaning up mold lines and ejector pins. It’s okay not to wire your engine. Here’s the opportunity to “build like a sixth grader” with no remorse!

2. Choose a kit you are familiar with, something you have built before since you know the challenges.

3. Choose a kit that you have multiple copies of. This comes in handy when you come across a badly formed part, or screw something up. Don’t waste time fixing it. Just grab parts from the second kit. Worry about it later when you build the second kit and have more time.

Having a second kit is also helpful as an assembly buck. On my Miss Deal funny car, I built the roll cage and fitted engine on the second chassis while the paint dried on my primary one.

4. Study your kit ahead of time. See how things fit together and plan ahead. In my conversion of the Model A woodie wagon into a woodie pickup, I had the whole conversion planned and parts out on the table. I had the body cut with an hour of the start!

5. Check all your supplies and tools ahead of time. You don’t want a spray can to be empty or find your glue dried up. And you don’t want to be searching for a missing tool.

6. Plan refreshments and snacks ahead of time!  Take breaks at least once an hour to avoid stress. 

7.  Share your experience during the build! Take photos regularly and post your progress.. both the positive and the agony.. to the page during your breaks.  

There is no shame in not finishing. We all have not been successful some years! But we are richer for the experience. We plan to avoid the same mistakes next year. We become better modelers!

7. Don’t cheat! If you suddenly pull out a plumbed and wired engine after 2 hours, people know!

This is not a race to finish first. Nor are you competing with the others. You are competing with yourself, and the accomplishment of building a credible model within 24 hours. Do not cheat yourself out of that accomplishment!

And mostly have fun!  

Edited by Tom Geiger

3 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

24 hours?!?  Heck, I can get one done in 45 minutes to an hour f I build straight out of the box minus the paint jobs. LOL!

Then jump in!  Read my comments above.. it’s not a contest, but a personal challenge! People take on projects of varying complexity as a personal goal. It’s fun!

There have been guys who don’t get that. Every so often we have someone post that they’re done after just a few hours. And they want to know if they get a prize for finishing first! Um no! They never return. 

Somewhere around the 18 hour mark, the cars start coming over the finish line. Those completions only fuel the rest of us to get it done!  Over 100 people signed up last I looked!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/2490663337730074/?ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_comment

Gotta throw in a vote for the Monogram Thunderbird. It's a good looking car, and Monogram's approach to simplifying some assemblies means most of your detail work will come from careful painting, which is a big plus given the time constraint. I'll bet that one is even molded in red, so polish it, foil a little, and paint the rest. Besides, T-birds are cool!