Model Cars Magazine Forum

EXTENDED-WARRANTY PHONE SCAMS

Ace-Garageguy

Lately both my landline AND my cell have been inundated with scammers pushing an "extended warranty", claiming my factory warranty is running out and I'll be...OMG...left with the possibility of staggering repair bills destroying my financial security.

Really? Obviously robo-calls that have no real info as to what vehicles I actually own, their ages, or anything remotely connected to reality.

Fact is, the newest vehicle I operate has been out-of-warranty for at least a decade.

DON'T GET DUPED. These are almost always scams that try to scare people (often focusing on older folks on fixed-incomes), take their money, and either disappear entirely after they've filled their bank accounts to overflowing, or find some reason to refuse claims made against them.

If you think you want or need an extended warranty, there are legit companies out there...but do your due-diligence research and SEEK THEM OUT; don't trust some phone call from out of the blue.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

True Dat, Bill!

MOST extended warranty deals are scams to some extent or another. Even the legit companies have so many exclusions in their policies that you end up paying for very little return, if any. The non-legit companies are pure and simple rip-offs as surely as if they accosted you at gunpoint at your ATM and took the money you just withdrew.

??

21 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I see commercials like that on TV often. "They paid over 6,000 dollars for a new motor and transmission." " Who does that ? "  NOBODY ! That's who.

There are folks out there with more money than brains.

The ex-girlfriend of an old friend paid $10,000 for a new engine for her Jag after she drove it with no coolant until it seized, because an $8 plastic fitting cracked.

She kept on driving with the "red light" on, because her old Toyota ran forever with the "red light" on, and she just thought it was a petty annoyance.

After the ripoff chimps put the engine in, they realized she'd cooked the trans as well (it got HOT)...which is when they brought me in. Turned out there were NO parts available from the manufacturer or aftermarket (at the time) for the trans, and the best price I could get her for a low-mileage gearbox was another $6500.

They junked the car.

I never really understood why an old hippie chick had bought a nice Jag anyway, especially after she let her dog shred the dash and seats.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

33 minutes ago, Danno said:

...MOST extended warranty deals are scams to some extent or another. Even the legit companies have so many exclusions in their policies that you end up paying for very little return, if any...

Same thing goes for the extended warranty used-car dealers try to tack on. Another friend bought a low-mileage PT Cruiser when they were cool, and the dealer got really nasty when she refused the $2500 (paid over time) extended warranty. In the end, when the timing belt failed at an indicated 60,000 miles (it should have lasted at least until 100,000+), I was pretty sure they'd turned the odometer back too. This was a big-name new-and-used car dealer, so the appearance of legitimacy is no guarantee of legitimacy.

38 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I see commercials like that on TV often. "They paid over 6,000 dollars for a new motor and transmission." " Who does that ? "  NOBODY ! That's who.

I see those commercials and tell myself: "Self, don't take any of those people along if you go shopping for a used car..."

Funny. I got one of these Robo Calls within the last hour. I'm afraid I fit the profile that Ace has mentioned. I'm on the "Do not call list" but they still call and I still report them on the web site, and they just keep calling about every six months or so.  

Luckily I haven't got the phone calls but get mail every so often for an extended warranty on my cars. What's funny is to read them as they are so generic and don't really say anything specific. Slightly entertaining and then tossed into the recycle bin.

24 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I was pretty sure they'd turned the odometer back too.

In the dark ages, before odometers were digital, The dealership I worked for bought some low mileage auction cars that were eventually found to have tampered odometers. They were all traced to the same wholesaler in Floriduh. Dealership did the standup thing and offered cash to the buyers or a full-price refund for the cars (I think there were 5-6 of them). 

13 minutes ago, espo said:

... they just keep calling about every six months or so.  

Yeah, that used to be the average frequency I'd get them, but in the past 30 days I've had no less than 5 calls, from different originating numbers.

4 minutes ago, TonyK said:

...Slightly entertaining and then tossed into the recycle bin.

The best place to put them, for sure, but enough people are falling for this stuff to keep them going.

1 minute ago, Rodent said:

In the dark ages, before odometers were digital...

It's pretty simple these days to tamper with a digital odo display now too...though that doesn't seem to be common knowledge.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/even-in-the-digital-age-odometer-fraud-is-a-growing-problem-121620.html

We get them all the time, have since they became a thing. Mom used to and Dad still trolls them when he actually gets the occasional call while I’m not using the line for work. Dad’s favorite is to try and get them to sell them a warranty for the ‘98 XJ Cherokee I scrapped last March, but combines it’s 162k miles with those of the ‘90 XJ he scrapped about 10 Years ago, which was pushing 300k at the time, those calls end quick:lol:

I used to work for a guy who messed with the odometers on his leased Ford Explorers.  As I recall, the first one was just turned back.  The second one was replaced with a lower mileage odometer from a wreck, the third was just disconnected when it approached the target number (just under the limit specified in the lease).  The same guy had an angle iron ladder rack that was bolted to the roof first thing.  When the vehicle was turned in, they'd take the rack off, bash in the areas around the holes with a ball-peen hammer, then slob some Bondo in the holes and do a quickie touch-up.  On average, he probably put on three times the allowed mileage...on a three year lease, he hit the maximum mileage around the end of the first year.  The dealer was apparently making enough money on the leases to look the other way at these activities.  They probably flipped the trade-ins at auction, but the dealers getting those vehicles probably just passed them on to the next sucker as-is.

• 2 weeks later...

Never bought an extended warranty in my life.

Never have, never will, and never regretted it.

I buy Hondas! :D

I agree with what others have said. If you don't recognize a phone number, don't answer the phone.

If it's an important call, they will leave a message.

It's a dead give away that it's a junk call if they won't leave a message.

If they do leave a message, and it sounds suspicious, (which these scam calls always do) do some research online and you will almost always discover that you're dealing with a scam.

Basically, my rule is NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, make any deals of any kind over the phone!

And never give out any personal information unless you are 100% positive that who you're talking to is legit. (Like if you made the call)

In general, I pretty much avoid the telephone.

The less I use it, the happier I am.

Steve

I get 2 or 3 a day on both land and cell. My goal is to keep them on the line as long as possible......less calls a day for them. Everyone should do so.....

First I ask who they are calling for. They say 'whoever owns this number'. I tell them there are two people on the number....were just friends. This makes them stumble and get off spiel. I then just string them along as long as possible......then when the press me for car make and model I tell them 'Ford 1946' which is true. This ends the call....but if I kept them on the line long enough to NOT call someone else....good. 

On 1/15/2021 at 12:39 PM, TonyK said:

Luckily I haven't got the phone calls but get mail every so often for an extended warranty on my cars. What's funny is to read them as they are so generic and don't really say anything specific. Slightly entertaining and then tossed into the recycle bin.

If they have one of those return postage guaranteed envelopes in the junk mail that you can mail to them for more information, you can get a little of your own back. Stuff the envelope full of whatever you can find making it as heavy as you possibly can even to the point of having to tape the envelope shut and then take it to the post office. Costs them money and gets you a little giggle. 😁 Just make sure there's no personal information in it that they could use to trace it back to you.

I'm a big believer in the "they'll leave a message" school of thought. Maybe they'll contact me through other means (text, email, or whatever) with the same effect.

My Google Pixel phone has a screening feature that I use quite often. If someone you don't know calls you, there is an option to screen the call. A boilerplate statement is read (The person you are trying to reach is using a screening service, please say why you're calling type thing), then listens for a message. 99 times out of 100, they just hang up. Anything they do say is displayed on the phone screen in real-time. If it's someone you want to talk to, you can pick up the call and talk to them. Otherwise you can hang up.

This comes in quite handy for numbers that you don't know. Often I will receive calls from the dentist, insurance agent, motorcycle dealership or others for whom I don't know the number, but am willing to accept the call.

The phone will also show certain numbers as suspected spam when they call. I just hang up on them.

On 1/15/2021 at 10:45 AM, cobraman said:

The last 2 years I had my BMW, when ever I brought it in for service, my service writer would tell me to get ready to spend $7000 to replace my transmission soon, because they dont last long in BMWs. (I traded it in for something not BMW instead.) Neighbor has a 15 year old Mercedes parked in his garage because it will cost several thousand dollars to replace the transmission if he does it himself. (Luckily, he was given the car for free when it was 10 years old. Got to drive it for 1 year.) So yes, you can easily pay $6000 for a new engine and transmission. (Lesson: do not buy German unless you only keep your car until the original warrenty runs out.)

These warrenties are still scams. Usually have stipulations in them that will prevent them for paying for this and that, so you are still out money when the car breaks.