Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2021 - 1938 GMC Car hauler

The 348 has arrived. Now is the time to decide between it and the stovebolt straight 8. Here are some arguments:

• A 1938 GMC would likely have run a a flathead 6 or a 6-71 or 4-71. So a custom one could easily run a phantom  stovebolt 8.
  • If the custom hauler is to be used on today's roads with a load (i.e.taking some treasure to a car show), then it should have some ooomph. Enter the 348, which was a truck engine I believe.

I'm leaning hard towards the 348.

IMG_0531.JPG

1 hour ago, landman said:

Who makes one? I don't have one. Gary Wallace?

Gary Wallace does and you can also get a Gary Wallace 4-71 from Jamie at Moluminum. I have one coming from Jamie myself. I have cut down a 6-71 to make one before I knew that they were available, but they too would be the best source for one of those, so it would be easier to just get a 4-71.

With your skills, you could probably fab one up. You were the inspiration for me to fab up the 6v-53 that I’m working on.

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

25 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Gary Wallace does and you can also get a Gary Wallace 4-71 from Jamie at Moluminum. I have one coming from Jamie myself. I have cut down a 6-71 to make one before I knew that they were available, but they too would be the best source for one of those, so it would be easier to just get a 4-71.

With your skills, you could probably fab one up. You were the inspiration for me to fab up the 6v-53 that I’m working on.

I was. Woah, that's scary.