Model Cars Magazine Forum
bobthehobbyguy

Huge losses to the modeling community

First off I received a notice from Mark Gustavson that Greg Nichols had passed. Gregg was a former GSL best of show winner and recently has been a judge for the event.

I also heard the Steve Hinson had passed. Steve was a great modeler and also part of the staff for running the Nnlwest.

Also Stan Pinnick has recently passed. He also was part of the staff for the Nnlwest. He was another great model builder.

Finally Randy Waugh another bay area modeler has passed. A long time participant in the Bay Area modeling community. 

Randy, Stan, and Steve were all friends of mine.  I have gone to every NNL West and have been involved with putting it on since 1990. A huge loss to the Bay Area modelling community.

I knew both Greg and Steve, great guys gone too soon. 

Our NNL East / Philadelphia NNL team lost three members this year as well. We lost Dave Cura and Ken Walkley, who both were part of the museum’s Scan The Past program. And we lost Tommy Kortman, lead guy for the Philly event.  

Maryland Area Modelers Association, home of the MidAtlantic NNL lost Gary Sutherland this year too.

It’s been a sad year all around!

Unfortunately I never had the privelege of meeting or knowing these gentlemen. Perhaps a few photos of their models would make a nice memorial.

I'm surprised that Greg is gone.  He seemed fairly young. Probably had some medical problem. Excellent modeler, and a really nice guy. I met him few times when he was taking photos during our club contests.

2 hours ago, peteski said:

I'm surprised that Greg is gone.  He seemed fairly young. Probably had some medical problem. Excellent modeler, and a really nice guy. I met him few times when he was taking photos during our club contests.

I believe he was 58 or 59 and he died of cancer.  I didn’t know he was ill, but we’ve all lost contact this past year.

Worth mentioning he won Best in Show at GSL and was to be on the judging jury next year.

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I believe he was 58 or 59 and he died of cancer.  I didn’t know he was ill, but we’ve all lost contact this past year.

Worth mentioning he won Best in Show at GSL and was to be on the judging jury next year.

That is very sad.

22 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

... My video on YouTube: GSL-XVIII (#18 2001), start at 12:21.  RIP

Yes. Wow, forgot about your old video. At the 4:20 point as Pat Bibeau is talking, there's the late Tim Pentecost right nearby, followed by the late Augie Hiscano at the 4:32 point. The late Andy Kallen is at 41:52, all towering figures in GSL history.

Edited by Russell C