Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24th '72 Roadrunner Bumper F&B

9 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Look like MPC '72 R.R. parts in resin --- or at least based-upon MPC's parts , then corrected to 1/24 scale ? 

Those ostensibly fit the Monogram 1971 Satellite & GTX ? 

No grille included ? Or , is that a P.E. piece ?

No grill ,but nothing Photo etch can't fix !!

Don’t get me started... ?

Especially with the release of the FF GTX (the real movie car had a 72 rear bumper) Did they do that? Noooo... Just dig up something off the shelf. 

How hard can it be to tool up ONE <bleeping> PIECE?!!!

It still boggles my mind why Round2 does everything it can do to avoid reissuing the ‘71/‘72 Road runner kit...?

On 1/20/2021 at 8:15 PM, drksd4848 said:

It still boggles my mind why Round2 does everything it can do to avoid reissuing the ‘71/‘72 Road runner kit...?

I’ll tell you why...because the ‘72 specific parts were modified and used for the Petty stock car. 

The rear bumper in that kit was modified (bumper housing filled in/ “panelled in”) from the ‘72 piece. I think the same thing happened to the ‘72 front bumper, but it’s less obvious that the ‘72 piece was used as a basis for the Petty front bumper. 

The Petty hood was totally flat- incorrect for one of those cars. It should have had the creases toward the front of it, like a Satellite hood, or, like an Air Grabber hood that is missing the center dome (which is just like the real hood). On the underside of the Petty kit piece, you can see where they took the ‘72 twin scoop hood and filled in the scoops to make it a flat hood. 

So - the major components specific to the ‘72 Road Runner have been modified and would need rework in order to be used again for a stock release, assuming they could be found in the first place. 

It would probably be easier for them to get the components for the ‘71 together to release first. That was last put out in around 1987. Some say that the tooling has since been lost. When Racing Champions owned AMT/MPC in the ‘90’s, they had announced that they were putting the Petty kit out again. I’m not sure how far they got with that project. They might have found the ‘72 Petty bumpers, but then realized that the body would have to be converted to NASCAR trim, and that might have been farther than they were willing to go with that. 

On 1/21/2021 at 6:29 PM, CapSat 6 said:

I’ll tell you why...because the ‘72 specific parts were modified and used for the Petty stock car. 

The rear bumper in that kit was modified (bumper housing filled in/ “panelled in”) from the ‘72 piece. I think the same thing happened to the ‘72 front bumper, but it’s less obvious that the ‘72 piece was used as a basis for the Petty front bumper. 

The Petty hood was totally flat- incorrect for one of those cars. It should have had the creases toward the front of it, like a Satellite hood, or, like an Air Grabber hood that is missing the center dome (which is just like the real hood). On the underside of the Petty kit piece, you can see where they took the ‘72 twin scoop hood and filled in the scoops to make it a flat hood. 

So - the major components specific to the ‘72 Road Runner have been modified and would need rework in order to be used again for a stock release, assuming they could be found in the first place. 

It would probably be easier for them to get the components for the ‘71 together to release first. That was last put out in around 1987. Some say that the tooling has since been lost. When Racing Champions owned AMT/MPC in the ‘90’s, they had announced that they were putting the Petty kit out again. I’m not sure how far they got with that project. They might have found the ‘72 Petty bumpers, but then realized that the body would have to be converted to NASCAR trim, and that might have been farther than they were willing to go with that. 

This I understand to be true and that the 71 Air Grabber hood and bumpers were untouched but the 71 Annual body was modified into the 72 Annual body then the petty car. The body was restored for the 1987 release as it was easier to do a 71 with what was left of the kit. If you look at an annual 71 and compare it to the 87 issue of the 71 you can see all the marker lights and handles were retooled and the 1971 is missing from the front valance.

I wonder if the 1971 GTX preceded the Road Runner in MPC's lineage ? The interior door panels are incorrect for a Road Runner , but are correct for a GTX ( and Satellite Sebring ) . The Monogram 1971 "Satellite" has the correct interior door panels ; the GTX from c.1994 , ad seq. , has the GTX pattern . If the interior tub from the 'Satellite' release is still around (e.g. , wasn't "irreverseably" modified) , then it'd be nice if Monogram were to create a 1971 440+6 Road Runner by using the original tub (or its door panel "slide-inserts") , the original dashboard (though , the 'GTX' emblem is easily removable) , and original steering wheel (it's in the latest F&F release) ; keep the GTX's Air Grabber , and engine compartment upgrades (i.e. , the firewall 'piece' with its wiper motor , etc.) , and a legit RM23V1 could be had .

Another option would be for Round2 to employ the existing 1971 Charger R/T as the basis for a 1971 Road Runner --- new interior ; new R.R. body , etc. ; and , maybe , an A/C-delete pulley & belt arrangement . 

(Before I begin on my rant, I gotta ask:  Did we get the name of the guy who is casting those 1/24 scale Road Runner pieces?  I sure would like a few of those myself...)

The reasons for why they haven't re-released '71/72 B body; I feel like it's more than just damaged tooling. 

Let's look at it this way:  I would say 75-80% of the parts for this kit have been, or are already being produced.  You can take them all from either the '71 Charger, *OR* even better, the '74 Road Runner!  Dash, engine, interior, wheels, tires... It's all already out there!  

So, what else do you need?

Well... the body is the big one, obviously.  But American Muscle has a 1/18 '71 RR.  Round2 owns American Muscle.  You can't scale that from 1:18 to 1:25?  Seriously?

The Hood, the bumpers, and taillights.  HOW COST PROHIBITIVE COULD IT POSSIBLY BE TO TOOL (OR RETOOL IF IT WAS MODIFIED) A HANDFUL OF PARTS?!!

ROUND2 tools new parts all the time!!!  Give me a break!

So, how hard could this POSSIBLY BE?   And there are so many new ways to do this stuff that could reduce the cost.  3D printing, computer modeling... etc.

Look, I may seem like I'm wearin' a tin hat here, but I really believe there is something beside the tooling issues that keeps them from releasing it.  Maybe they think it's not popular enough and it wouldn't sell?  Ridiculous!!  There is so much pent up demand for this kit, they'd fly off the shelf. 

Someone at Round2 just flat out doesn't like this kit.  Because if they wanted to make it happen , they would.

So the front and rear bumpers are 1/2 scale, not 1/25 scale, correct? And they are designed to fit the 1/24 scale Revell (nee Monogram) '71 Plymouth Satellite or GTX kit?

Are the transparent red tail light lenses and lower valence panel shown not included?

What has me curious is the rear bumper has the molded in year license plate, just like the MPC annual part, which is 1/25 scale. It also appears there is some red peeking out in the crevices between the license plate nook and the raised edge of the license plate, which is the color the 1/25 MPC '72 Road Runner was molded in. Ditto for the chip in the white primer covered front bumper showing some red underneath.

• 2 weeks later...