Model Cars Magazine Forum

After a painstaking year I'm almost done with the scratchbuilt Holmes Wrecker for my Cooter's Tow Truck.  What sort of black/gray rubber would be best to simulate the sling?  I thought about cutting up a black balloon, but that's probably a little too thin, right?  

siSOZyH.jpg

Edited by Andrew D the Jolly Roger

Andrew, You can also use the old rubber tube from a bicycle which doesn't hold the air anymore. You can cut the size you like. It's also good for the rubber flaps behind the rear wheels of trucks and pickups. And you can also cut it into rubber rings to use them on frames while the glue hardens. Well, and lots of other things you might think of. Take care, Juergen

I like the black duct tape idea.

Or maybe do it with 2 pieces of electrical tape stuck together and cut into strips.

I would not use latex balloons or rubber bands. Latex shrivels up and becomes gummy. And does anybody remember what happens to rubber bands when they get old? They deteriorate and crumble apart. 

Pat, You're right, the duct tape solution looks good and you're right again that the 'normal' rubber bands used for little parcels or the like start to deteriorate or crumble after time. On the other hand so far I didn't experience the rubber bicycle tubes to crumble. So maybe to be on the safe side it's better to use the duct tape. Have a good day, Juergen.

While Duct Tape is often touted as a cure-all solution for our manly needs, I have had bad experience with it and I avoid it like plague.  All the duct tapes I have ever used have adhesive that melts and oozes after some time. Very messy!  I would not use it for any type of permanent solution, especially ones that suppose to look  good and can't easily be redone.

Just the opposite with masking tape: its adhesive dries up after several years, and stops being sticky.

Edited by peteski