Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lotus Indy car or Offy Indy car reissue possibility?

Amtronic

• 4 weeks later...

I can't honestly see any vintage "Indy" type racing car being a good seller these days. It's almost always the drivers/owners/builders who bring the name recognition which leads to sales, and who here under the age of 50 knows who drove the Indy Watson race car? Unless you are an legit racing/hot rod enthusiast, you don't have a clue what an "Offy" is, much less who the nickname originates with.

While I can understand the buying power of the 60+ year old demographic, anything over a run of 5,000 kits and half of those are going to end up at Ollies in two years. My gut tells me the secondary market can supply most of the demand for such a kit, so I think it would be a waste of resources for Round2 to reissue any of them.

Maybe Round2 will test the market with the 1/32 Indy "500" Winner (aka, Agajanian Willard Battery Special) first?

13 hours ago, Casey said:

I can't honestly see any vintage "Indy" type racing car being a good seller these days. It's almost always the drivers/owners/builders who bring the name recognition which leads to sales, and who here under the age of 50 knows who drove the Indy Watson race car? Unless you are an legit racing/hot rod enthusiast, you don't have a clue what an "Offy" is, much less who the nickname originates with.

While I can understand the buying power of the 60+ year old demographic, anything over a run of 5,000 kits and half of those are going to end up at Ollies in two years. My gut tells me the secondary market can supply most of the demand for such a kit, so I think it would be a waste of resources for Round2 to reissue any of them.

Maybe Round2 will test the market with the 1/32 Indy "500" Winner (aka, Agajanian Willard Battery Special) first?

I would imagine the 70's or 80's Indycar kits with Andrettis and Unsers and Rahals and Mears so forth to hang on the side of the cockpit would have better name recognition but it's also worthwhile to point out that the Watson Roadster has also been a VERY popular addition to the Forza Motorsport franchise along with other sim racing examples. Vintage racing on the whole is very big with younger audiences, and a great deal of that is through events like the Goodwood Revival and sim racing franchises. 

Quite frankly, Salvinos JR is doing a good job proving there's a market for quality shorter run kits of vintage racing subjects at a premium price. 

1 hour ago, Justin Porter said:

Quite frankly, Salvinos JR is doing a good job proving there's a market for quality shorter run kits of vintage racing subjects at a premium price. 

To my knowledge they have released only NASCAR kits, so I'm not so sure that's exactly an apples-to-apples comparison when it comes to an open wheel race car from the '60s.

Indy had huge pull here in the '80s (hence all the new kits from AMT and Monogram), but after the IRL/CART debacle, NASCAR seems to have dominated things here stateside, so not surprising the '70s and '80s NASCAR subjects are popular.

I'm sure it wouldn't cripple Round2 to reissue a vintage open wheel subject, or even the STP Lotus Indy Turbine (yes, again)...that tractor alone moves a few kits:

MPC-6025-2.jpg.add4de90b29cd27e0568bcaa67006029.jpg

40 minutes ago, Casey said:

To my knowledge they have released only NASCAR kits, so I'm not so sure that's exactly an apples-to-apples comparison when it comes to an open wheel race car from the '60s.

Indy had huge pull here in the '80s (hence all the new kits from AMT and Monogram), but after the IRL/CART debacle, NASCAR seems to have dominated things here stateside, so not surprising the '70s and '80s NASCAR subjects are popular.

I'm sure it wouldn't cripple Round2 to reissue a vintage open wheel subject, or even the STP Lotus Indy Turbine (yes, again)...that tractor alone moves a few kits:

MPC-6025-2.jpg.add4de90b29cd27e0568bcaa67006029.jpg

So far they've only released NASCAR stock car subjects but they have shown the initial CAD drawings for a modern Whelen-Tour type Modified. One could also point to a company like Belkits or Ebbro as being primarily vintage racing focused but I felt Salvinos was the most direct comparison. 

I wouldn't expect a production run of more than a few thousand kits, and I would expect an MSRP between $30-$40, but I don't think they would be a losing proposition at those numbers. In particular I could imagine reissuing the 80's CART kits in name liveries that weren't available in period, like AMT's Lola-Chevrolet offered in Mario Andretti's Hanna/Rain-X color scheme. 

I would welcome a repop of the Indy 500 Combo, even as separate kits by themselves. The roadster is of particular interest being the last of its kind. In addition, what happened to the molds for the IMC versions of the Lotus. Most of the IMC kits have resurfaced in one form or another, yet these two are absent and rarely show up on the vintage market. These are historically significant race cars and ought to enjoy a fair amount of support from the modelling community. To add to its sales potential they could offer a Coca-Cola version! 😉

Cheers Misha

169156E4-197F-43FE-8056-532246EBEBF4.jpeg.0f80444d84f1fff6f4d3f3b8c9ff8b01.jpeg
D65BCBB4-02FD-4952-82C6-A0E76B520996.jpeg.e6811b459f91eb9015d86e29137fe180.jpeg

Last time that kit was reissued was by Testors in the late 70's-early 80's. The bulk of the IMC tooling appears to have ended up with Lindberg (like the Mustang II concept car and the "Cougar II" kit of the Bordinant Cobra) but the trail of IMC racing car kits seems to go cold at the Union Models reissues of the Lola T-70, GT40 MkII and MkIV, and the Chaparral 2E. If this tooling did somehow travel with Lindberg and is now in the hands of Round 2, it would be quite amazing if any of it could be reissued. 

On 2/16/2021 at 1:50 AM, RancheroSteve said:

That's the one I remember, but there was also a 1/32 scale version:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/amt-indy-500-winner--1163054

Boxart Indy 500 Winner  AMT

I still have this one, it is in pretty good shape, needs a couple of pieces replaced and a new set of decals.  I would like to see Round2 rerelease some of these older 1/32 kits.  I have a body from a '57 Chevy and a 65 Pontiac, almost all of the chrome pieces are missing.  Also have an original '63 Vette, used wrong paint and it crazed, may be able to salvage it at some future date.

On 2/15/2021 at 7:25 PM, Casey said:

Indy kits are very poor sellers in all eras. RM said theirs never did sell enough to really pay for themselves.  The AMT kits may have done better but the 70's era McLarens and Eagles were very inaccurate and much better version are available from resin kit guys. 

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

I would like to see Round2 rerelease some of these older 1/32 kits.

They have reissued almost half a dozen of the 1/32 Scale Stars kits:

Atlantis is soon to release three or four former Monogram 1/32 scale kits, too:

On 2/15/2021 at 5:25 PM, Casey said:

And yet, some boring vanilla sedan from the same era is usually hailed as a potential best seller.

Personally, I'd buy that Offy roadster long before I'd even think of shelling out for a Nova station wagon.