Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's your favorite aircraft?

Dentz

Most of us build it all. Give me an interesting kit and Try and stop me from building it!

To keep it Off-Topic, let's do aircraft. What's your favorite(s)?

I just saw a great picture of an F-14 on the deck with it's wings back, Silhouetted by the sunset. Felt inspired to try and start a chat.

Mine are the F-14 tomcat, F-8 Crusader, SR-71 Blackbird, Super Marine Spitfire, Lancaster Bomber and my personal favorite CT-114 Tudor (Snowbirds)

There are soo many more but I figure 'Top 5 + a bonus pick' is plenty,

....but to squeeze in a top 10... ?.. Mig-15, F4u Corsair, P38 Lightning and The Daddy...... The A-10 Thunderbolt II, Which saved a Friend's life more than once while deployed in Afghanistan and used to fly regularly out of a Michigan airbase near me before they where replaced by F-16s (which kick butt too!)

....and what the heck. Bonus for 5?... Why not a bonus for 10 too?  Because....

I think they may have V-22 Ospreys there now as well. I had the good fortune of watching those suckers do their thing during an exercise on the Detroit river a couple of  years ago.??

Top_Gun20.jpg

F-8E.jpg

blackbird.jpg

spitfire.jpg

Avro_Lancaster_405.jpg

sb1.jpg

6 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Here are a few of my very favorites: 

F8F Bearcat

A-1 Skyraider

F4U-4 through -7 Corsair

A/B-26 Invader

F7F Tigercat

F-86 Sabre 

P-51D and H Mustang

...and a few dozen others. B)

Ha. The few dozen others is key!. Great choice on the Spad.....'tis bad! Do you prefer the sport model or crew cab?

a1 spad.jpg

a1 spad 2.jpg

Edited by Dentz

My favorite has always been the B17. Every time I see a picture of one it does something for me just like a good looking car does.

Corsair and a P38 and the B47 would be my next favorites. Throw in many WW2 fighters and that completes my list. I can never grasp the looks of a Lancaster. It always looks to me that it shouldn't be able to fly. Just a huge beast but obviously did the job.

Have enjoyed building models of all of them in the past.

I'm a big fan of 1930s Army Air Corps types, especially the Douglas B-18:

972694335_b-18a37-4694.jpg.45261c7fb3dfda702507988f16363e06.jpg

I photographed this same exact plane (serial #37-469) 70-some years later, at the Air Force Museum in Dayton:

P1120749a.JPG.922036886427a70503336e17a60c3e0b.JPG

I have both versions (B-18 and B-18A) of the Special Hobby 1/72 scale kit in the to-do pile. 

The B-17 is also a big favorite of mine, especially this one:

14275467315_3e738ab94a_c.jpg.52779a36db0c9d2159d15cab5f218ff0.jpg

My dad used to tell me about the B-17 that was flown into his hometown of Paducah, KY in 1946 to be used as a memorial and training aid for the Boy Scouts' local Air Scouts troop; after years of research I found its serial: 42-102875. Turns out it wasn't a combat veteran; it spent the war as a crew trainer in the USA, last based at Hobbs, NM. I have the 1/48 scale Monogram kit which will look like this when it's done:

167193367_B-17G42-102875HobbsAAF.jpg.4bd2c1457aac82ffe466c78234d053c4.jpg

I'm not really a plane guy. especially with models. That was always my dad's building domain.

But there are a few that just grab me for whatever reason.

CF-104 Starfighter - I have a few kits of these in the stash. Will build them...one day. lolz.

759513978_Lockheed_(Canadair)_CF-104_Starfighter_(CL-90)_Canada_-_Air_Force_AN0987373.jpg.c6130a6a9b0f6a732165acd789429ea1.jpg

Avro Arrow - such and iconic plane, such a wild story.

avro.jpg.702ea80d5bbab7aa6f3624151af54c93.jpg

The Spitfire - 'nuff said.

spitfire.jpg.f227a308a6c15ce2ea011d1141f731c6.jpg

Ed Force One - 747-400 - Just such a cool plane. I have this in the stash too, with the decals. 

ed-force-one-36186.jpg.58b1f95ae4a2616443bc03df84433954.jpg

I don't know anything about these two particular aircraft, I just grabbed a pic to illustrate the style plane that I like most....

planes.jpg.2905149b2e2a95a82577e50f58f43874.jpg

Those that are purpose-built for racing. I really enjoy the Red Bull Air Race type prop planes! Also, I have the good fortune of living about a mile from a small airport that houses some Cessna type planes, so I see those on a regular basis. My favorite is when the Marines use it for Touch-n-Go practice in the Ospreys......

A-10...the Warthog.  When I was in grade school, GE made the engines for these so the military did a low, slow flyover.  For a young male, it was incredible.

image.jpeg.89fc5615e4e6dbbcf4070af9f57230a4.jpeg

Last summer, I was listening to Bob & Tom and there was to be a tribute to the healthcare providers with a flyover by A-10's.  I took my teenager and we made the two hour drive.  It's impressive to see one, let alone four in formation.  Where else can you see such a thing and not be their target!  As quiet as they are, you're likely toast by the time you can see or hear them approaching

A10 flyover in Indiana.jpg

I remember when I was a kid and the Concord came to my city. I think half of the town stopped to watch it. The roar was fantastic.

We are lucky to get some cool aircraft around here. Coast Guard and Military Helicopters. Border patrol Choppers. Search and Rescue aircraft etc.

We had the RedBull air races here for a couple years and we used to get great airshows until they built a big new repair hanger on the flight line ?

We do still get almost daily formation flights from the Canadian Historical Aircraft Association that includes a Harvard (T6 Texan), Chipmunk and a Stearman Biplane.

They are restoring a Lanc and a Mossie too.

Homer, once or twice a year, three or four ANG A-10s will do a fly-by of the airport I live near, doing several low-level circuits before leaving. You can always hear them whistling/whining long before you see them. I imagine that sound was the last thing a lot of Bad People around the world ever heard. B)

The Corsair is my all-time favorite aircraft. I would learn to fly if I could fly one.

Watching this F-22 at an airshow made me a fan. It does things that I never would have thought an aircraft could do. (this is one of the best aircraft photos that I have taken)

airshow2008-22x1.jpg