Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's your favorite aircraft?

Dentz

Jolly Sipper. You have great taste in racing aircraft. The Red One is a DH 88 Comet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_DH.88_Comet

The Blue One is a Caudron C.460

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caudron_C.460

The phot you chose shows modern replicas flying at an airshow (probably in Europe)

As for me, My Favorites are 

1. F-15 Eagle

2. Spad 13

3.  Couzinet 10 Arc-en-Ciel

Here is something about the last.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couzinet_10

I have a weakness for 1930's era French Trimotors.

I know that I am highly likely to be the only one to pick this bird.  I have a little over 1,000 driving this beauty!  Love it or hate it, it was my partner for 9 years!   Our motto, NOKAWTG!  No-one Kicks A$$ Without Tanker Gas.  The longest serving airframe in the USAF and we get no respect!

This Is Your Captain Speaking: Pilot Report: Flying the KC-135A Stratotanker 

1 hour ago, Pete J. said:

I know that I am highly likely to be the only one to pick this bird.  I have a little over 1,000 driving this beauty!  Love it or hate it, it was my partner for 9 years!   Our motto, NOKAWTG!  No-one Kicks A$$ Without Tanker Gas.  The longest serving airframe in the USAF and we get no respect!

This Is Your Captain Speaking: Pilot Report: Flying the KC-135A Stratotanker

I always thought that the C 130 Hercules and the B 52 had longer service.

greg

42 minutes ago, GLMFAA1 said:

greg

The C-130 and B-52 have both been flying since the mid 50's and are still in service, back then the primary tanker was the KC-97 with its howling brakes, now it is the KC-10 or something later.  Now for my selection: C-130 (any variety) got my "cherry" in my USAF career and have been in love with it ever since - if I win the lottery I am going to buy one and park it in my front yard; second would be the F-4 Phantom (again any variety) worked it at Udorn RTAFB, Thailand, Seymour-Johnson AFB, NC, Kunsan AB, ROK, and Shaw AFB, SC; and my third choice is the B-52 (BUFF - Big, Ugly, Fat, well you can figure out the rest) that thing makes the ground move beneath your feet when it is on take-off roll. 

21 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

greg

I should explain the term longest serving airframe.  The  The B-52 and C 130 as a model have been around longer, but if you look at manufacture dates of active airframes they are all  later than  are earliest models of the KC-135.  The oldest tanker airframe currently in service is tail number 57-1419.  It was delivered to the Air Force in 1957(hence the 57 tail number).  All of the currently active B-52s are H models with delivery dates starting in 1962.  The oldest C-130 was retired last March and it was also delivered in 1962.  This makes the KC-135 the oldest active airframe.  It has had several upgrades but remained an A model until recently when it was re-engine and became an R model which applies to all KC-135s.  Before this upgrade all A models flew the J-57s with water injection.  That is why you will often hear them referred to as water wagons. 

Edited by Pete J.

11 hours ago, Pete J. said:

I should explain the term longest serving airframe.  The  The B-52 and C 130 as a model have been around longer, but if you look a manufacture dates of active airframes they are all  later than  are earliest models of the KC-135.  The oldest tanker airframe currently in service is tail number 57-1419.  It was delivered to the Air Force in 1957(hence the 57 tail number).  All of the currently active B-52s are H models with delivery dates starting in 1962.  The oldest C-130 was retired last March and it was also delivered in 1962.  This makes the KC-135 the oldest active airframe.  It has had several upgrades but remained an A model until recently when it was re-engine and became an R model which applies to all KC-135s.  Before this upgrade all A models flew the J-57s with water injection.  That is why you will often hear them referred to as water wagons. 

Thanks for the great information, There is a detachment of tankers out Pittsburgh, PA that fly over here and now I guess the have the KC46's which I have not seen. Youngstown has the C130's

greg

Keavdog, your builds hit a personal chord with me. 

The Skyraider and F-86 made my list, and I've modeled them both. I've also built the F-16 and F-4. 

I built Petie 2nd on the Monogram kit back in the '70s. And when I was at Lackland AFB in 1972, their P-51H was (incorrectly) painted in those markings, and I took a lot of pics of it, hoping someday to do a diorama of it on the ancient Aurora kit. 

I've built several P-47Ds but the next one I do will be a 78FG bird like yours, in honor of my favorite rocker, Warren Zevon. 

My Dad, who flew several dozen different types, once told me his favorite military aircraft was the C-121. (The ones he flew were overall 16473 ADC gray, not camo.) 

And my son, now a C-17 driver, trained on the "new" T-6. 

I think you'd feel right at home in the model airplane stash wing of the Snakepit. B)