Model Cars Magazine Forum

NCIS 1971 Dodge Challenger R/T

mrmike

1 hour ago, mrmike said:

Just imagine a 1:1 Chrysler being assembled on the production line.  The body assembly is quite different from what we get in the form of a model kit.  When the body is painted,  the chassis is part of the body assembly and the chassis is painted along the edges as the body gets painted.  I have seen some models with the entire chassis (bottom of the entire body assembly) painted in one color and either the modeler doesn't care or they don't know how the body and chassis is painted.  I have learned a lot from the late Fury3 aka Dave Greibling who once worked for Chrysler Corporation.  

Not trying too gett off topic but when did we lose Fury3 ? I just thought he was on scale auto forum.

On 3/17/2021 at 7:55 AM, mrmike said:

Just imagine a 1:1 Chrysler being assembled on the production line.  The body assembly is quite different from what we get in the form of a model kit.  When the body is painted,  the chassis is part of the body assembly and the chassis is painted along the edges as the body gets painted.  I have seen some models with the entire chassis (bottom of the entire body assembly) painted in one color and either the modeler doesn't care or they don't know how the body and chassis is painted.  I have learned a lot from the late Fury3 aka Dave Greibling who once worked for Chrysler Corporation.  

I like the effect when you do that for your builds.

I wonder if you would get an even more realistic effect, if you attached the chassis when painting the body and let the over-spray occur that way.

That would help a lot,, but I just lay my piece of 1 1/2 inch masking tape down the center of the chassis and lightly spray my body color from overhead.  This is a lot easier then if I attach the chassis to the body and spray paint it as one unit, and then take it apart to insert the interior, windows and any trim and then add any Bare Metal Foil afterwards.  

Since the wheels and tires have been sitting on the bench for a while now, I went and detailed them with Model Master Metalizer and then some Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color.  This morning I put the wheels and tires together and mounted them to the chassis.  Then I found out that the chassis has a slight twist to it. 

More NCIS to come...

Gibbs40.JPG

Gibbs41.JPG

Gibbs42.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It has been a few months since I worked on the Challenger R/T and I decided to get back to it.  I painted the hood, front valance and grille and the body with Tamiya TS-16 Yellow.  Now to let this dry.

More NCIS to come...

Gibbs46.JPG

Gibbs47.JPG

Gibbs48.JPG

On 1/18/2021 at 5:32 PM, 64Comet404 said:

I never noticed it before, but the licence number on Gibbs' Challenger is the same as Jim Rockford's Firebird!!!

How in the world did you catch that??????

15 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

Mrmike's screen shot of the rear of the Challenger. It was like, "Wait a minute,...". 😁

I would have never noticed that especially since I didn't know what Rockford's license plate was.  Good catch!

Thanks David, Ken, Greg and John!

• 3 months later...

Yes, it has been a while since I worked on Gibbs Challenger R/T.  Last night I started assembly of the Challenger and I must say this is a challenge for me.  Everything I touch on this model goes bad for me!  I got the body, interior and chassis installed as one.  The Revell 426 Hemi has been installed and fits the chassis perfectly.  I am trying to find out if the Challenger had dual chrome side mirrors or just one and I need to paint the rear spoiler flat black.

More NCIS to come...

Gibbs52.JPG

Gibbs53.JPG

Gibbs54.JPG

Thanks Carl and David!  Actually there is only one mirror on the Gibbs Challenger.

I painted the rear spoiler flat black.  I added the front bumper from the Revell '70 'Cuda but it is wider than the AMT Challenger bumper and the shape on the ends are different.  I guess I'm going back the AMT Challenger bumper and I have to rechrome it.  The rear bumper and taillight panel have been installed.

More NCIS to come...

Gibbs55.JPG

Gibbs56.JPG

Gibbs57.JPG

• 2 weeks later...