Model Cars Magazine Forum

Carpet in Sheet Form - Beige - 1/24-1/25th scale

I feel like I have seen this before, but I cant remember where... My current project has some carpeted areas that are perfectly flat I would like to add some custom cut beige carpet mats.

Im looking for a soft flocked/embossing powder/fuzzy type carpet... but in a flat sheet, possibly self adhesive, but not a requirement... my Pocher Ferrari had something like this in grey, but i cant find the material bulk.

I know model factory Hiro had some stuff, but its gone into the insanely expensive zone at >30.00 a sheet.

Anyone have anything they have used in the past? or thought may work?

I just bought some stuff EXACTLY like this in Hobby Lobby at the weekend - probably 12" square sheets for a buck a pop.  It has a real fine 'fuzzy' grain to and looked like a perfect scale carpet to me.  I found it in the paper aisle - I THINK they had different colors but I only grabbed the black stuff.

I also have a roll of tan carpet I got years ago from a dolls-house store in NY...much deeper looking.  I'll post a picture up when I get home so you can see the difference, and if the tan colored stuff looks like it might work I'll mail a sheet to you ?

2 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

I just bought some stuff EXACTLY like this in Hobby Lobby at the weekend - probably 12" square sheets for a buck a pop.  It has a real fine 'fuzzy' grain to and looked like a perfect scale carpet to me.  I found it in the paper aisle - I THINK they had different colors but I only grabbed the black stuff.

I also have a roll of tan carpet I got years ago from a dolls-house store in NY...much deeper looking.  I'll post a picture up when I get home so you can see the difference, and if the tan colored stuff looks like it might work I'll mail a sheet to you ?

oooo!  Thats awesome!   Please let me know on both! I need to make a Hobby lobby trip anyway! Thank you!

Ok, so here’s the Hobby Lobby stuff versus dolls house carpet;

F5660158-30F2-4A5E-B82E-4E5B1D035527.thumb.jpeg.bf55fb73cd889d32ff92ae8084228ed4.jpeg

0C4CC730-D098-4D9F-B191-E01B0C5518A0.thumb.jpeg.8aa86861fbfcf3d4c661b30ecc720678.jpeg

6D09DA91-26CA-4919-9856-A1F373876FEF.thumb.jpeg.25ac2660f86802be7cb7e6263b7d5c7c.jpeg

Had to mess with the contrast some to try and show the texture, but it’ll give you an idea...

This is the brand name on the Hobby Lobby stuff:

E921BF04-BC42-44AA-A430-2E1761D5D1DE.thumb.jpeg.a33febbda076c80c4114d89269958357.jpeg

If you need some of the yellow (not as tan as I remembered) stuff let me know dude! ??

3 hours ago, Jonathan said:

I love this website - for things like this :)

2 hours ago, Slimguy said:

Scrap booking paper...who knew?  Wow great tip.  Thanks for posting this.

Yes for sure!!  Best site around!!

I was perusing amazon at lunch and came across this...https://www.amazon.com/Velvet-Fabric-Sticky-Adhesive-Jewelry/dp/B08KVVGH8R/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3O7OP20PZ0XC0&dchild=1&keywords=velvet+sheet+adhesive&qid=1611163421&sprefix=velvet+sheet+%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-6

Good interior colors and probably a "lifetime supply" for 9.99...  I went ahead and ordered it up... and will report back when it comes friday! 

Edited by Impalow

• 2 weeks later...

A little update on this!    I got the stuff from amazon, 2 sheets of each, nice automotive colors although they were way off from what I needed.... so I kinda set them aside awaiting a trip to hobby lobby. 

Carpet1.jpg.f76b1e6243ccb9905f46b9f54497e4a7.jpg

Then last night i was painting some interior pieces, and decided to experiment with painting the velvet/felt... it worked!   I used a couple light coats at varying angles of the Tamiya paint thinned with some lacquer thinner.

Carpet2.jpg.35060aae78d57ef075e60f02d5abab95.jpg

I have the card stock paper pack from Amazon, as shown above - doodlebug design stuff. It’s pretty nice for flat areas - I have a Fujimi kit with ejector pins in the cargo area and floors -  pain to sand and would show through glue/flock. So I just put some of this there to cover it up. It’s very thick though, so not sure how it would work around curves. 094D57BE-CBA8-414D-B132-DA8D424DCE10.thumb.jpeg.1c21bed99d9e1fb4178e970c3cc847e7.jpeg

Edited by Erik Smith

21 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

I have the card stock paper pack from Amazon, as shown above - doodlebug design stuff. It’s pretty nice for flat areas - I have a Fujimi kit with ejector pins in the cargo area and floors -  pain to sand and would show through glue/flock. So I just put some of this there to cover it up. It’s very thick though, so not sure how it would work around curves. 094D57BE-CBA8-414D-B132-DA8D424DCE10.thumb.jpeg.1c21bed99d9e1fb4178e970c3cc847e7.jpeg

Whoa! Those seats, Man!  Groovy!

Paper?  Decals?