Model Cars Magazine Forum

1985 Dodge Daytona V-6Z

Erik Smith

Here is an MPC 1985 Dodge Dayton Turbo Z turned into a V-6Z because it's not a turbo and it has a V-6. The V-6 just happens to be 6/10s of a Dodge Viper V-10, so it ends up being a 4.8 liter V-6. It was modeled after the Daytona Z in the old TV show "Hunter", but I was unable to keep the engine under the stock hood, so I modified the kit supplied ugly hood and made a still ugly but as closer looking to stock hood.

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

...and here is what happened when we took it out for a test ride...

34A9F318-0A8D-4005-B70E-4449569306A9.jpeg

92A85F75-4690-4CFF-B7C9-FFC843373D8A.jpeg

Edited by Erik Smith

Oh that's sweet!! Back in the late 80's as a teen I owned a silver '85 Turbo Z and an '84 Lazer (Plymouth's version, it was a turbo too but it didn't work) and mid 90's I owned an '86 CS Z almost identical to Dee Dee's '84 from the show (dang near like this model except for hood, wheels, and that V6), thank you for the memories! :D 

8 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

Here is an MPC 1985 Dodge Dayton Turbo Z turned into a V-6Z because it's not a turbo and it has a V-6. The V-6 just happens to be 6/10s of a Dodge Viper V-10, so it ends up being a 4.8 liter V-6. It was modeled after the Daytona Z in the old TV show "Hunter", but I was unable to keep the engine under the stock hood, so I modified the kit supplied ugly hood and made a still ugly but as closer looking to stock hood.

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

...and here is what happened when we took it out for a test ride...

34A9F318-0A8D-4005-B70E-4449569306A9.jpeg

92A85F75-4690-4CFF-B7C9-FFC843373D8A.jpeg

As I don't usually like cars of that vintage, you hit a hot spot..The first car my son got looked just like yours only with out the V-6..Excellent executation and a quality build in something you don't too often see..Very nicely done and super clean job..

9 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

[...]

IMG_0764.jpg

[...]

I skipped over the description at first and looked at the pictures, did think "that looks like a Viper engine" and now I know.  Looks great!

As a kid I always had a crush on these little Daytonas. My kid sister had one with the turbo 4 cylinder when she first got her license. She totaled it and a vintage, survivor ‘57 TBird when the dude in the Tbird ran a stop sign. Fantastic build!

Very cool!  Love the V6 conversion, very clean and tidy work under that hood.  My parents watched Hunter, and I was a kid at the time, but I loved that Daytona in the show.  This brings back those memories.  Again great work and thanks for sharing.