Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 SCCA Corvette W.I.P.

• MarkJ changed the title to 1964 SCCA Corvette W.I.P.

I had to put gold stripes on the tires so I knew I couldnt mask them or make decals to do this task so I came up with this deal. i use it as a mask of sorts and use a toothpick to apply the gold acryl paint. they dont make a gold sharpie tiny enough to work that I have found. I know the stripes are too thick but im going to touch them up and narrow them with a #11 exacto blade

64penskewippastti1.jpg

64penskewippastti2.jpg

I modified the wheels to make them look more like halibrands. not that great but I think the metallizer will make them look a lot better

64penskewippastti3.jpg

This car had a trunk even though real corvettes did not so I created one with #11 blade and scriber.

64penskewippastti4.jpg

The front of this car is a lot different then a stock corvette. It did not have retractible headlights but they did put removal covers on them when not racing in the dark.

64penskewippastti5.jpg

Here are the tires . i know they are not right but its the best I could come up with. If any body knows where I can get a very very fine point  gold sharpie, let me know.

64penskewippastti6.jpg

17 hours ago, 65slotcar said:

great detail  and work so far.   what race car  are you building?    a little late now, but you could have purchased  wheels from Randy  at modelbuilderswh.com  

Bill

Bill, I'm giving out small clues as I go along as to what I'm building. Eventually it will become clear what it is. One of my holy grails I've always wanted to do.

17 hours ago, 65slotcar said:

great detail  and work so far.   what race car  are you building?    a little late now, but you could have purchased  wheels from Randy  at modelbuilderswh.com  

Bill

Bill, I'm giving out small clues as I go along as to what I'm building. Eventually it will become clear what it is. One of my holy grails I've always wanted to do.

Biil I checked out that website and the halibrands I would need were sold out. Also they are 1/24 scale so they would look way too big on this 1/25 scale model.

Had to make some headlight covers. Had some styrene strips that were just the right width. 

64penskewipmaheco1.jpg

64penskewipmaheco2.jpg

64penskewipmaheco3.jpg

Had to fill in some holes and voids in the rear panel and also make some extra holes. used styrene to do most of the filling.  Just a few small voids will be filled with putty. 

64penskewipmaheco4.jpg

64penskewipmaheco5.jpg

Needed to open up the front fender behind the tire, like the real car had it done. Also, there are some voids in the b pillar that had to be filled.

64penskewipmaheco6.jpg

64penskewipmaheco7.jpg

2 hours ago, Reeves Racing said:

Great job on a lot of conversion body work, it seems if you would have started with the Accurate Miniatures Grand Sport Corvette kit you would a little bit ahead in the game.

But rock on, this one will be all you. 

Thanks , Mitch. An Accurate miniatures kit would have been awesome but they have been out of production for a while and to get one it would be second hand and if you could find one it would cost a ton of money and might be missing parts when you got it. So I'll just keep on with this deal.

8 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Thanks , Mitch. An Accurate miniatures kit would have been awesome but they have been out of production for a while and to get one it would be second hand and if you could find one it would cost a ton of money and might be missing parts when you got it. So I'll just keep on with this deal.

That is true but Revell repopped it a few years ago, and I have found several on eBay that were very reasonable. I have a couple that are unstarted and one that I built but recently disassembled to start making it into the roadster version. 

You did an amazing job converting the wheels into Halibrands by the way.

Another way to put the gold or blue stripes on the tires is to use your mask to scribe a groove in the sidewall with the xacto and then later gingerly fill the groove with paint. Its easier to scrape off the excess later too.

Edited by Reeves Racing

11 hours ago, Reeves Racing said:

That is true but Revell repopped it a few years ago, and I have found several on eBay that were very reasonable. I have a couple that are unstarted and one that I built but recently disassembled to start making it into the roadster version. 

You did an amazing job converting the wheels into Halibrands by the way.

Another way to put the gold or blue stripes on the tires is to use your mask to scribe a groove in the sidewall with the xacto and then later gingerly fill the groove with paint. Its easier to scrape off the excess later too.

Thank you, Mitch . That is an amazing idea that I would have never thought of. I will try it on a spare tire and if it works I will do it to the tires for this build. This should allow for a much better and smaller stripe which is what I need. Thanks again.

13 hours ago, billgtp said:

Hi Mark do you want Accurate Miniature Grand Sport Corvette? I have one that is untouched. email billgtp@earthlink.net

Thanks, Bill but once I start a project I always finish it . I once started a 54 Hudson Hornet and got partially through the build and realized I was using the wrong kit. I was using the 2 door sedan kit instead of the club coupe which is also a sedan really, because it has the middle post too. So I waited a few months till the IPMS show came back to Houston and I got the right kit and resumed the build. Plus I have already made 1/25 scale decals for this build and it looks like I would have to change the hood and make some headlight covers for the a.m. kit anyway. Plus as I study the a.m. kit more I'm seeing some other things that aren't quite right. So I will continue on with this build and see what happens. Thanks again for the offer, I really appreciate it.

Finished the headlight covers. Still need to detail sand them and paint. They will be  a different color then the body so I will not install them till the body and the covers are painted. I just have them sitting loose in these pictures. I also added the fender extensions. They still need to be trimmed out and lips added to them and  the edges rounded. The rear ones appear to be too big because they are right now.

64penskewipadfeex1.jpg

64penskewipadfeex2.jpg

64penskewipadfeex3.jpg

64penskewipadfeex4.jpg

64penskewipadfeex5.jpg

Thanks ,  Josh. I know its not going to be as accurate as the kit versions of the car because the real car was a 7/8 version of the real corvette body which I think the kit makers followed, but since I'm making mine from a stock scale Corvette its not  going to be quite right . But close enough that people will get the idea that its suppose to be a grand sport. 

18 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Looking great Mark and as far as accuacy, how may people would know anyway. It's just a cool looking carđź‘Ť

Thanks, Mike. Hopefully it will be not be laughable. And maybe semi cool looking.

Hi Mark, I’ve been following your build with interest. You are doing great modifications and scratchbuilding with this kit. Your trunk treatment really moves the Vette of a stocker version, really nice job! There is a lot to be said for building “in the spirit of” or a “what if” model where fidelity to the prototype is secondary to recreating a vision.  I have one on the go, same kit that I’m modifying into one of the tanker versions having increased fuel and being built to my vision. 
Cheers Misha