Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 SCCA Corvette W.I.P.

On 1/30/2021 at 1:41 PM, Misha said:

Hi Mark, I’ve been following your build with interest. You are doing great modifications and scratchbuilding with this kit. Your trunk treatment really moves the Vette of a stocker version, really nice job! There is a lot to be said for building “in the spirit of” or a “what if” model where fidelity to the prototype is secondary to recreating a vision.  I have one on the go, same kit that I’m modifying into one of the tanker versions having increased fuel and being built to my vision. 
Cheers Misha

Thanks, Misha. If you have a wip going on your build I would surely like to see it . If you could reply with a link that would be great.

9 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Thanks, Misha. If you have a wip going on your build I would surely like to see it .

Hi Mark, Well, this was a build that sitting somewhat on the back burner for me, yet with all the current interest in split-window builds on the Forum, I ought to start a thread. Hope you won’t mind a couple of shots of where I’m at in mock up stage.

Are you going to use the kit chassis or swap it out?

Cheers Misha

BF63A49C-684F-4424-BEFF-AFB3D65C5077.jpeg.a51a6687433fcc41a3b1531b4f49964b.jpeg

439E05B2-2A9A-43E2-990C-BDC8B3EB051F.jpeg.60480ddfc3ab7ad907b9efdb2df27598.jpeg

Edited by Misha
Added comment

20 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Mark, I'm definately getting a few ideas here for my unstarted pro-mod '63 i'll be doing.    How did you do the what I guess are brake cooling vents behind the rear wheel wells?

Mike ,I was lucky enough to find an almost perfect side profile picture of the real car. I made a profile picture of the real car from that photograph in 1/25 scale and taped  that picture over the side of the body, then cut open the vents on the picture and then traced through the slits in the picture with pencil onto the body. I then drilled a small hole at the top and bottom of each traced vent and then use a #11 blade to slowly cut open the vents and then finished them off with a needle file. this allowed me to get the proper size and location for the vents. I used the same process to trace the wheel openings on the body and also to modify the front of the cars grille opening from a front end shot of the real car. I use this same process to make the decals to get them as authentic as possible. instead of just picking a font that is close on my photodeluxe vector graphics program that I use to create the decals. 

4 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Mike ,I was lucky enough to find an almost perfect side profile picture of the real car. I made a profile picture of the real car from that photograph in 1/25 scale and taped  that picture over the side of the body, then cut open the vents on the picture and then traced through the slits in the picture with pencil onto the body. I then drilled a small hole at the top and bottom of each traced vent and then use a #11 blade to slowly cut open the vents and then finished them off with a needle file. this allowed me to get the proper size and location for the vents. I used the same process to trace the wheel openings on the body and also to modify the front of the cars grille opening from a front end shot of the real car. I use this same process to make the decals to get them as authentic as possible. instead of just picking a font that is close on my photodeluxe vector graphics program that I use to create the decals. 

Thanks a lot Mark for those details.  Great info!!

Wow Mark, you're putting in a tremendous amount of work on that one.  Looking at the model last night, because of the way it has the  moulded in rear suspension I'm trying to figure out how to put wide tires on the rear without them sticking out the side of the wheel well.   

31 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Wow Mark, you're putting in a tremendous amount of work on that one.  Looking at the model last night, because of the way it has the  moulded in rear suspension I'm trying to figure out how to put wide tires on the rear without them sticking out the side of the wheel well.   

Yeah, Mike. I think you will have to do something like they did with the grand sport. Looking forward to seeing your build.

18 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

I'm not one to do major mods for fear of ruining stuff.  

You could get the Accurate miniatures kit which already  has the rear wheel openings done for you.  That would be cool. A grand sport built for the strip.

Got some work done on the fuel filler door and the door handles. The door handles were not stock corvette handles and the door skin had to be reworked to install them on the real car ,as well as the model. I will install the handles after the model is painted.

64penskewipsmadoha1.jpg

64penskewipsmadoha2.jpg

64penskewipsmadoha3.jpg

64penskewipsmadoha4.jpg

Got the Front fender extensions finished and added some material to the back glass rubber strip and center body feature line that was removed when an emblem was removed. Have to be sanded down and narrowed to recreate  those areas.

64penskewipsfifrex1.jpg

64penskewipsfifrex2.jpg

64penskewipsfifrex3.jpg

20 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Continues to look great Mark, I'm thinking for my split window maybe doing a slight flaring of rear wheel well. Just something I've never tackled before.

Mike, I actually googled pro mod 63 corvette, and saw plenty of examples of them with huge slicks completely inside the stock rear fenders. The axel must just be a differential and a 2 foot axel on each side of it. Maybe even shorter then that. They all really looked awesome.

2 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Mike, I actually googled pro mod 63 corvette, and saw plenty of examples of them with huge slicks completely inside the stock rear fenders. The axel must just be a differential and a 2 foot axel on each side of it. Maybe even shorter then that. They all really looked awesome.

There are some super cool pro-modded 1:1 cars. As for the model, since the way the moulded in rear suspension and inner fenders are, I can't just shorten the axle housings and I just don't feel confident chopping it up. I have never done anything like that.

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

There are some super cool pro-modded 1:1 cars. As for the model, since the way the moulded in rear suspension and inner fenders are, I can't just shorten the axle housings and I just don't feel confident chopping it up. I have never done anything like that.

I haven't even looked at the chassis yet. Oh well, if I have to slice and dice I will get my sprue cutters and #11 blade and go to town on it.

6 hours ago, MarkJ said:

I haven't even looked at the chassis yet. Oh well, if I have to slice and dice I will get my sprue cutters and #11 blade and go to town on it.

Hey Mark, I found some pretty wide tires and tried them and they will fit without flaring and there is about 1/8 inch that can be grinded off the chassis to move them in a bit. Been looking at Grand Sport pics and I'm thinking I'll use some of the GS mods on the kinda resto/pro street car I'm gonna build.  BTW, your car continues to come along great!!