Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 SCCA Corvette W.I.P.

12 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Hey Mark, I found some pretty wide tires and tried them and they will fit without flaring and there is about 1/8 inch that can be grinded off the chassis to move them in a bit. Been looking at Grand Sport pics and I'm thinking I'll use some of the GS mods on the kinda resto/pro street car I'm gonna build.  BTW, your car continues to come along great!!

Mike, I finally looked at the kit chassis, and boy am i going to have to do a lot of cutting. I'm not going crazy though. Probably just remove the exhaust and mufflers and remove the outer frame rails and replace them with tubes. Probably wont take any under car shots when I'm through. The stock Corvette chassis and the Grand Sport chassis are very different, to say the least.

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

Mike, I finally looked at the kit chassis, and boy am i going to have to do a lot of cutting. I'm not going crazy though. Probably just remove the exhaust and mufflers and remove the outer frame rails and replace them with tubes. Probably wont take any under car shots when I'm through. The stock Corvette chassis and the Grand Sport chassis are very different, to say the least.

Well Mark, maybe I'll follow your lead.😄 Really tho, I still think since mine isn't gonna actually be a GS, I'm just gonna grind back a little where the rear wheels attach to the rear axle housing, if its necessary.  I really still don't have the tires I want so don't know how wide and/or if they will fit.  Thinking about tackling the slots behind the rear wheels wells today.

9 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Well Mark, maybe I'll follow your lead.😄 Really tho, I still think since mine isn't gonna actually be a GS, I'm just gonna grind back a little where the rear wheels attach to the rear axle housing, if its necessary.  I really still don't have the tires I want so don't know how wide and/or if they will fit.  Thinking about tackling the slots behind the rear wheels wells today.

Attempted the slots and it was a disaster. Got the 1st on to look real good but couldn't get the 2d to look like to the first so I gave up and puttied the holes. Oh well, I really wanted to make it look kinda unique.

12 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Attempted the slots and it was a disaster. Got the 1st on to look real good but couldn't get the 2d to look like to the first so I gave up and puttied the holes. Oh well, I really wanted to make it look kinda unique.

Yes, that would have been very cool. Oh well mine aren't perfect by any means, but I felt I had to do them since i'm actually trying to do  a grand sport. I was actually thinking about doing a decal but knew that would have looked bogus.

14 hours ago, retroguy said:

Mark,is this car based on an actual race car...

Yes, Michael. As always, that will be revealed at the end, when the final pics are posted. I will say that, I was a huge fan of the driver back in 1964, and always wanted to do this car, that I saw in Sports Car Graphic magazine, back then, when I was 13 years old. I cut out the pictures and article, and pasted it in a scrap book, I made back then. The scrap book today is falling apart, and the pictures and articles are brown and crumbling, but thanks to the internet ,I have found many ref pictures to use to try to replicate the real car. Thanks for the question.

4 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Wow, that must have been tough with no electricity. We were afraid that would happen here south of Nashville but were so lucky. Temps in the low to mid teens is crazy.

I'm working on the engine on my '63. I guess its gonna be a kinda restomod.

Yes, Mike. We survived the Texas Valentine storm  massacre of 2021 and feel very fortunate about it. So many others had it much worse. 

They had ten years to fix our power grid and chose not to. What is cool about this kit is the many engine combinations that can be used. I will be using the webers on the small block but will have to make my own manifold.

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

Yes, Mike. We survived the Texas Valentine storm  massacre of 2021 and feel very fortunate about it. So many others had it much worse. 

They had ten years to fix our power grid and chose not to. What is cool about this kit is the many engine combinations that can be used. I will be using the webers on the small block but will have to make my own manifold.

I thought all the engine options was cool too, the big block on mine but single 4bbl (at least for now). 

Hi Mark, just dropping in again. Wow, glad you got your power back ... Texas sure got slammed with a lot of nasty just recently!

Keep up your nice fabricating! ... Those little nubs in the grille sure do look like teeth to me. I don’t know my history on old vettes, but I would think that would be a dead giveaway for those who do.

2 hours ago, Venom said:

Hi Mark, just dropping in again. Wow, glad you got your power back ... Texas sure got slammed with a lot of nasty just recently!

Keep up your nice fabricating! ... Those little nubs in the grille sure do look like teeth to me. I don’t know my history on old vettes, but I would think that would be a dead giveaway for those who do.

Thanks, Josh. the little nubs have holes in them , which i can only duplicate with a little drop of black paint or maybe a very fine black sharpie. I guess that's where the stock grille attached to the grille opening. They really do look like teeth though.

37 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Thanks, Josh. the little nubs have holes in them , which i can only duplicate with a little drop of black paint or maybe a very fine black sharpie. I guess that's where the stock grille attached to the grille opening. They really do look like teeth though.

That’s funny, I thought they looked like little stingray teeth, ... o feel dumb now, lol!

18 hours ago, Venom said:

That’s funny, I thought they looked like little stingray teeth, ... o feel dumb now, lol!

When I found the ref picture which showed the nubs, I knew I had to include them on my build. They were very painstaking to install. I will be putting a fine mesh grille behind them like the real car had. They didnt just run a gaping hole in front of the radiator like I had assumed they did.

3 hours ago, MarkJ said:

When I found the ref picture which showed the nubs, I knew I had to include them on my build. They were very painstaking to install. I will be putting a fine mesh grille behind them like the real car had. They didnt just run a gaping hole in front of the radiator like I had assumed they did.

Nice attention to the authentic details Mark ... I’m sure those were painstaking👍

Well, I think its about ready for primer. I just need to wash the body, let it air dry and shoot it. Probably have to shoot a couple of rounds of primer with sanding in between to smooth out some of the stuff you dont notice till you get the primer on it. I forgot to put the stays for the hood cable but I can do that between primer shoots. that piece of plastic under the grille opening is just trash that will go away when i wash it . Not suppose to be there.

64rogerpenskewipsrefopr1.jpg

64rogerpenskewipsrefopr2.jpg

64rogerpenskewipsrefopr3.jpg

64rogerpenskewipsrefopr4.jpg