Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 SCCA Corvette W.I.P.

8 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Slowly, but surely. I'm getting tired of sanding . I want to get back to building.

Oh man, sanding is my week spot, especially in the awkward areas ... sometimes it makes me want to scream as hard as I can, but I don’t because it would be weird. So cudos to you for doing it, as it’s sure to pay off in the paint results👍

10 hours ago, Venom said:

Oh man, sanding is my week spot, especially in the awkward areas ... sometimes it makes me want to scream as hard as I can, but I don’t because it would be weird. So cudos to you for doing it, as it’s sure to pay off in the paint results👍

Thanks , Josh. I will be painting the model with acylic lacquer so I will have to sand it to polish it as well. and it's not going to be fun. Lots of things like the fuel filler door are impossible to sand because they are too intricate. 

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

Thanks , Josh. I will be painting the model with acylic lacquer so I will have to sand it to polish it as well. and it's not going to be fun. Lots of things like the fuel filler door are impossible to sand because they are too intricate. 

We be in the same boat then ... I also have to sand and polish my clearcoat jobs, which is where I’ll be very soon.

14 hours ago, Venom said:

Mark, I like how it’s all coming together with the scratch work. Did you scratch that alternator bracket also? That’s some pretty fine detail!

Thanks, Josh . I had to scratch the bracket, the belts, and move the location of the alternator. The stock location for a regular corvette is on the right side of the engine. I also had to make the pulleys wider to accept two belts and actually just make a new pulley for the alternator. I need to do some more sanding on the belts to get rid of some excess styrene. I bought some liquid model cement hoping it was like plastruck plastic welder but it was not.  You have to wait overnight before you can sand anything you glue with it. Nobody sells the plastruck around here and micro mark sells their own version of it . I always get everything from them but i want to find out if their version is chemically the same as the orange bottle plastruck. Hobby lobby used to sell it but they have really cut back on what they sell us modelers. It's really kind of sad.

4 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Hobby lobby used to sell it but they have really cut back on what they sell us modelers. It's really kind of sad.

Good work and nice attention to detail Mark..keep it up

....Yeah I guess Hobby Lobby just wants us to order our stuff from online stores instead of going to them.👎 It will be their loss.

19 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Keep it rolling there Mark.  I got to thinking, do you know or if anyone else reads this, if the Revell '67 chassis and floorpan could be used with the AMT '63 body??

If they are the same scale they should be interchangeble. If one is 1/24 and the other is 1/25 it probably would not work. JMHO

18 hours ago, Venom said:

Good work and nice attention to detail Mark..keep it up

....Yeah I guess Hobby Lobby just wants us to order our stuff from online stores instead of going to them.👎 It will be their loss.

Thanks again , Josh. I ordered some same stuff plastic welder  and some crystal clear glue for the glass from micro mark. Hopefully have it by the end of the week. The testors liguid glue is just not cutting it. its really no better then tube glue. I guess I will polish the body while I am waiting.

On 3/1/2021 at 7:47 AM, MarkJ said:

Thanks, Josh . I had to scratch the bracket, the belts, and move the location of the alternator. The stock location for a regular corvette is on the right side of the engine. I also had to make the pulleys wider to accept two belts and actually just make a new pulley for the alternator. I need to do some more sanding on the belts to get rid of some excess styrene. I bought some liquid model cement hoping it was like plastruck plastic welder but it was not.  You have to wait overnight before you can sand anything you glue with it. Nobody sells the plastruck around here and micro mark sells their own version of it . I always get everything from them but i want to find out if their version is chemically the same as the orange bottle plastruck. Hobby lobby used to sell it but they have really cut back on what they sell us modelers. It's really kind of sad.

Home Depot carries Weld On 4. Works just like Plastruct's cement, and it's much less expensive. 

5 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Home Depot carries Weld On 4. Works just like Plastruct's cement, and it's much less expensive. 

Thanks, Daniel. If the stuff I get from micro mark doesnt work, I will check into it. 

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

Started polishing the body. Got the hood done and the left side of the roof. Also got some more work done on the chassis.

64penskewipsstpobo1.jpg

64penskewipsstpobo2.jpg

64penskewipsstpobo3.jpg

Hi  Mark.  Very interesting what you did with the chassis. Now I have to rethink not modifying mine. Now I'm anxious to see what you will do about the rear end suspension.

The hood turned out great by the way. 👍

Thanks , Josh. I have no idea what that thing is or what function it serves. It kinda looks like a periscope but I'm thinking it might be something for cooling something. But I 

13 hours ago, Venom said:

Wow Mark... it is looking excellent!

EC5C7F2B-6CEB-46DD-8EC1-5AD33744D0E6.jpeg.c8aa66f1e00c79fe42fd8ab36362bfa2.jpeg

really haven't got a clue .Its facing the wrong way to be a fuel tank vent.

13 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Hi  Mark.  Very interesting what you did with the chassis. Now I have to rethink not modifying mine. Now I'm anxious to see what you will do about the rear end suspension.

The hood turned out great by the way. 👍

Thanks, Mike. Thats the trouble with amt kits . You usually have to deal with molded in chassis parts that you have to get rid of but you want to keep the basic chassis. There is not much more i can do to the rear suspension except maybe add a leaf spring. I am however going to add a spare tire and rack to hold it, just to finish off the back part of the chassis. I felt I had to make it a tube chassis, just so I could do the exhaust right. I did an amt 63 chevy once , A Junior Johnson Chevy, where I completely re-did the front suspension, but I'm not going to do that on this one. Way too much work.