Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 SCCA Corvette W.I.P.

Thanks, Mike. I had to cut the glass down to just a windshield and just a back glass because they refused to fit as a one piece item. The vent glasses had  to be trimmed also because they ended up being way behind the frame on both sides by a little over a sixteenth of an inch. when you get to that part of your build you will probably notice the same thing if you also have this amt kit. 

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

Thanks, Mike. I had to cut the glass down to just a windshield and just a back glass because they refused to fit as a one piece item. The vent glasses had  to be trimmed also because they ended up being way behind the frame on both sides by a little over a sixteenth of an inch. when you get to that part of your build you will probably notice the same thing if you also have this amt kit. 

Yep Mark, I just tried it. Exactly what you said, looks like about 1/16" on both sides. Thanks for the heads up my friend.

Coming along beautifully my friend. Love the engine. Love what you are doing with the interior considering the extreme simplicity of the kit parts to start with. You inspire me to buy one of these kits but I would not dare trying such an elaborate conversion. Maybe a Zo6 racer...

14 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Coming along beautifully my friend. Love the engine. Love what you are doing with the interior considering the extreme simplicity of the kit parts to start with. You inspire me to buy one of these kits but I would not dare trying such an elaborate conversion. Maybe a Zo6 racer...

Thanks, Pierre. If you can find the Revell kit, or the Historic Racing Miniatures kit, that I hear you can purchase on ebay for ten bucks, those would be much better choices then the amt kit. Nothing seems to fit on this kit, which is par for the course with all amt kits, Except for maybe the nascar amt  kits.

Edited by MarkJ

Hi Mark.  I got windshield taken care of on my '63.  Actually I had to take of about 1/8" off the "Wing" windows and I cut the roof part off just like you did yours. I just used a file to remove the excess on mine. Then I fought with darn rear view mirror to get it glued in and positioned right.  Haven't checked the rear window fit yet.   Oh, I had to trim a bit off the windshield at the lower edge also...I might have glued the firewall a bit too far back.

Edited by TransAmMike

The first shot shows the rear bulkhead. it will be painted to look like natural plywood which apparently it was. The others are progress shots of the dash. No, the switches are not that long. I just wanted the glue to cure a little longer before i start sanding and shaping them. roll bar shots after that. Just a single loop with no reinforcing tubes. I will get the fuel hose to fit more flush, eventually.

64penskewipspiinbu1.jpg

64penskewipspiinbu2.jpg

64penskewipspiinbu5.jpg

64penskewipspiinbu3.jpg

64penskewipspiinbu4.jpg

Mike, I know what you mean about the firewall.  they don't really show you where its really suppose to go, There are no indentions or nubs to match up for fitting it. You just have to guess and use the windshield to kinda figure out where to place it. The engineering on this model is a joke. What ever it turns out to be, I hope it doesn't look too ridiculous.

3 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Mike, I know what you mean about the firewall.  they don't really show you where its really suppose to go, There are no indentions or nubs to match up for fitting it. You just have to guess and use the windshield to kinda figure out where to place it. The engineering on this model is a joke. What ever it turns out to be, I hope it doesn't look too ridiculous.

So true Mark, not a lot of good to say about this kit in general but it will build out nicely enough. I'm almost done with mine.

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

So true Mark, not a lot of good to say about this kit in general but it will build out nicely enough. I'm almost done with mine.

Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing it. Let me know where you post it.

5 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing it. Let me know where you post it.

Sure will Mark, I fought with the rear window today, no way could I get all the surfaces flush with the body, but its close enough to not be seen without close scrutiny.  Then got the interior and chassis on the body so It's getting close. Phew!!!!

18 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Sure will Mark, I fought with the rear window today, no way could I get all the surfaces flush with the body, but its close enough to not be seen without close scrutiny.  Then got the interior and chassis on the body so It's getting close. Phew!!!!

Well, Mike . If its anything like your Mustang, its going to be awesome.

3 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Thanks for showing your safety belt components. This is like a tutorial on how to make them with styrene. very cool.

Did you paint the interior with Vallejos? 

Pierre, I was going to do a step by step but I figured you had figured them out for yourself, but below is the step by step how i do them. I use 1/8 inch art tape for the actual belt and all the hardware is made from a styrene strip .010 inches thick and a little under 1/8 of an inch wide. I cant remember the exact number but its close to a little under .125 inches. The photos are in order from top to bottom. The last picture is the start of the adjuster. It just needs to have some little cadillac fins added to it. 

60belthw1.jpg

60belthw2.jpg

60belthw3.jpg

60belthw4.jpg

60belthw5.jpg

60belthw6.jpg

60belthw7.jpg

60belthw8.jpg

60belthw9.jpg

60belthw10.jpg

60belthw11.jpg

60belthw15.jpg

Thanks, guys. Like I said somewhere else, they are just something quick to fill up the seat. I'm sure p.e. stuff would look a lot better. Pierre the interior paint is Vallejo. I mixed 5 silver drops with 3 dark blue drops. then of couse i mixed in 8 drops of medium thinner. It really came out pretty close to the real color which i will post at the end. I'm going to try to find a small box today to put my index cards in with the paint info I derive from mixing paints like you showed in your tutorial. 

I like the color Mark. I look forward to see what you do with the body. Personally I have not been successful with more silver than blue in the mix. I have done more like 3 blue 1 silver mixes. Suggest you test on a scrap body first. I started testing with the metal medium which shows potential. I look forward to see your work on finishing the body of the car.

1 hour ago, Pierre Rivard said:

I like the color Mark. I look forward to see what you do with the body. Personally I have not been successful with more silver than blue in the mix. I have done more like 3 blue 1 silver mixes. Suggest you test on a scrap body first. I started testing with the metal medium which shows potential. I look forward to see your work on finishing the body of the car.

Pierre, check your private messages about the body. 

The interior is done. Parts of it are attached to the body and will mate with the interior in the final assembly. 

64penskewipsinisdo1.jpg

64penskewipsinisdo2.jpg

64penskewipsinisdo3.jpg

64penskewipsinisdo4.jpg

64penskewipsinisdo6.jpg

The black knob in the middle of the dash is the washers for the windshield. It might be some kind of manual pump kind of deal. Not really sure. All the items on the middle dash had little labels made from one of those dial up label makers they had back in the day telling what each item was for.   The two guages were temperature guages. One for the engine oil and one for the differential oil. needless to say, I could not model the little black labels. That's way above my pay grade. 

On 4/1/2021 at 7:04 PM, TransAmMike said:

You asked me to let you know when I finished my '63 so I don't know if you saw my completed '63.  It's in the Model Car section.  Your GS is coming along nicely Mark.

3 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Beautiful work turning this super basic AMT one piece interior into this beautiful race cockpit. Lots of great detailing.

Thanks, Pierre. It was fun but the hard part will be getting the body to mate to the interior. Nothing fits on this kit. You were smart to use the Revell kit for your beautiful 63 Junior Johnson build. Thanks again.

Edited by MarkJ