Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1970 AAR Cuda

Sport Suburban

This is another one I finished this last year. Revell 1970 AAR Cuda. This is the second release from back in 2007 and is 1/24 scale. I built this one mostly out of the box with a few modifications. I cut open the front valance panel as it was molded closed and also recessed it a bit more into the body. The last mod was changing out the plain tires for an older set of Revell tires with the molded Goodyear sidewalls. I also used the staggered set found in a few older Revell kits so the back tires are bigger than the front just like the real car. I bought this kit when it was new and didn't like what I saw. I wanted to do a comparison video  of all the AAR Cuda kits as they are all different and had to get some unbuilt ones. So I decided to build this one anyways. I like how it came out. I have two other AAR Cuda builds and also now building the newest 1/25 scale version.

70 AAR Cuda b.JPG

70_AAR_Cuda_4a.JPG

70_AAR_Cuda_4b.JPG

70_AAR_Cuda_4c.JPG

70_AAR_Cuda_4d.JPG

70_AAR_Cuda_4e.JPG

70_AAR_Cuda_4f.JPG

70_AAR_Cuda_4h.JPG

Thankyou for the background information on the differences between these kits. I haven't built one but I do have them in my someday stash of models. Besides the great paint finish and color all of the trim is very cleanly done. You pointed out the different sized tires used on the 1:1 AAR and this is correct. I worked for Good Year in their retail stores in SoCal at the time and remember several being in the service dept. as well as having Sweed Savage's car on display at the store I worked at in Riverside during one of the promos for the race at the Riverside Raceway. The OEM car had E series fronts and G series rear tires and they really filled the wheel well openings. 

51 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Absolutely amazing work--you made this misshapened body look about as good as possible. I don't think it's 1/24 though--the first one was, but this one is 1/25 I'm pretty sure. Well done and model on! B)

First two boxes on the left are 1/24. Right is 1/25. Beautiful work on all of them. 

3 hours ago, Classicgas said:

First two boxes on the left are 1/24. 

Huh. I can't lay hands on it at the moment, but I distinctly remember the body on my 2nd Revell (the one in the middle) being the same size as the bodies of the JoHan '71, the AMT '74 snapper, and the more recent Revell '70. And smaller of course than the Monogram 1/24. :unsure:

8 hours ago, bisc63 said:

People love to hate this kit, but at the end of the day, a clean build like yours is still a handsome display piece. NICE work!

I have to admit that I didn't like it when I first opened the box and saw the body. Sold that kit off and didn't give it a second thought. After I did the review video I decided to clean it build it. It was already started. I decided to build it and see how it looks finished. The blue looks great and also hides some of the body proportions. If I painted it red it would show more of them.

20 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Huh. I can't lay hands on it at the moment, but I distinctly remember the body on my 2nd Revell (the one in the middle) being the same size as the bodies of the JoHan '71, the AMT '74 snapper, and the more recent Revell '70. And smaller of course than the Monogram 1/24. :unsure:

Embarrassing to admit,  but I bought both lol. They were close to the same size. Both were mastered off the challenger  body buck.