Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Charger rear-engined late Hemi Pro-Touring Concept

Claude Thibodeau

2 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

wow, great looking custom build, the interior looks sharp and the body paint is a very nice shade of silver, very nicely done! Amazing work on those doors though!

Hi Gareth!

Thank you for the comments. I was nervous upon shooting that Tamya "Silver Leaf silver"... test panels showed it is easy to have mottling, and hard to have a nice even finish. I was lucky, and in retrospect, it makes for a sheen that looks almost like bare cast metal, only finer. Even a fully polished clear coat can't overpower that "satin" light reflection. Hence the name "silver leaf". I'm familiar with using gold and silver leaf in custom painting, and that reflectivity is unique . 

CT 

23 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Gareth!

Thank you for the comments. I was nervous upon shooting that Tamya "Silver Leaf silver"... test panels showed it is easy to have mottling, and hard to have a nice even finish. I was lucky, and in retrospect, it makes for a sheen that looks almost like bare cast metal, only finer. Even a fully polished clear coat can't overpower that "satin" light reflection. Hence the name "silver leaf". I'm familiar with using gold and silver leaf in custom painting, and that reflectivity is unique . 

CT 

It does attract the eye nicely, especially when on something like a Charger with it's Coke bottle lines. I get that mottled effect too using silver, like fish eye effects in the paint. No matter how well I clean the parts it still happens if I go too heavy. Only happens with silver for some reason though.

3 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

It does attract the eye nicely, especially when on something like a Charger with it's Coke bottle lines. I get that mottled effect too using silver, like fish eye effects in the paint. No matter how well I clean the parts it still happens if I go too heavy. Only happens with silver for some reason though.

HI!

Mottling usually forms when one shoots paint too heavily, even more so with fine metallic paint. With this Tamya Silver Leaf, I had to do light and quick "dusting" over the whole car, from slightly more distance than usual with Tamya's spray cans. Time consuming, but the clear coat seals the whole enchilada later on.

Maybe you go too heavy, as you suggest. Try dusting the next time. I guess it will fix most of your issues. 

CT

Another Masterpiece Claude T! Bravo, Bravo, Bravo! Take your bows now!!! (are all your model builds done on a coffee high or some other substance? Legal or illegal depending on where you live). Or is there something in the water in Quebec, Canada???LOL Excellent build! I bet that car would give a 2020 Vette a run for its money!!

Edited by paul alflen
Gramar & spelling

27 minutes ago, paul alflen said:

Another Masterpiece Claude T! Bravo, Bravo, Bravo! Take your bows now!!! (are all your model builds done on a coffee high or some other substance? Legal or illegal depending on where you live). Or is there something in the water in Quebec, Canada???LOL Excellent build! I bet that car would give a 2020 Vette a run for its money!!

Hi Paul!

Thank you for the compliments. Much appreciated. 

To your points: Here in the great white north, some strange substances are indeed legal. But I'm a non-smoker, and always have been. Back when my friends started with cigarettes, I was stubbornly refusing to blow my money up  in smoke, choosing instead to spend it on... styrene! Look where it got me...

Seriously, I build 1/1 cars as a day job, but models allow for more experimentation at a tiny fraction of the cost, as you know. 

As for running with the new Vette... The big coke-bottle shaped Charger is nice, but remains very heavy. Who knows... After all: "This thing got a Hemi" as they say.

CT 

4 hours ago, crazyjim said:

A most excellent build.  Very well detailed.  I love the concept and wish my mind could think of things like that.

Hi Jim!

Thank you. I'm certain your mind can. It's just a training process. And as you know, sometimes we try and hit the wall, or strike gold if the gods of styrene are looking upon us! Besides, we hardly ever truly innovate. We just rearrange ideas that made a strong impression on us, consciously or not! 

CT

On 1/21/2021 at 12:33 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Yes!  With their girlfriends cursing them!  ?

Once someone asked why Chuck smacked himself on the door.. a friend of ours said, “Because he deserves it for putting the doors on that poor PT!”

Hi Tom!

I had no idea that from all acessories that the aftermarket offered for the PT, scissor doors were part of it. When I look at the PT, the first thing that comes to my mind is not exactly "sexy italian supercar". Go figure...

CT 

Thx for the heads-up on this one, Claude.  

This model finely exhibits the sort of creativity that used to be mandatory if you wanted to win or place in the old MPC National Customizing Contest series that ran from 1969-79. 

Way, way cool.  Not only finely crafted, but really well conceived, even to the hidden "Charger" emblems that reveal when the rear deck is opened.

Super, super tasty!   Congrats Claude....TIM  

Wow Claude, you are rapidly becoming one of my favorite builders!  The variety of subjects in your catalog is refreshing indeed!  How do you go from a 56 Ford Pizza Delivery (which I absolutely love), to a multi engine sedan “Pole Delivery”, to a super sexy slippery slice of awesomeness like this?  As Mr. Boyd  eluded to already, we used to give high marks, and offer special awards in the old MPC series, for originality, because the sponsors were looking for ideas for new kits.  Your creativity is inspiring indeed!

12 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Thx for the heads-up on this one, Claude.  

This model finely exhibits the sort of creativity that used to be mandatory if you wanted to win or place in the old MPC National Customizing Contest series that ran from 1969-79. 

Way, way cool.  Not only finely crafted, but really well conceived, even to the hidden "Charger" emblems that reveal when the rear deck is opened.

Super, super tasty!   Congrats Claude....TIM  

Hi Sir!

Thank you for the comments.

I followed such contests back then, if just trough the pages of the 2 model magazines that I was subscribing to. You know, a a time when only the cover and back page were printed in colour, and the paper inside was of the newsprint type... I still have a few slightly worn copies in my collection. I look at them once in a while, and I can see the almost outworldly originality of the vehicles that retained the attention of the judges. They pushed us to experiment and try to do better. Many among us  returning to the hobby, after often long hyatus, now enjoy more time and means that they can spend at their bench.

And I, for one, can't see the end of it!

CT

11 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

Wow Claude, you are rapidly becoming one of my favorite builders!  The variety of subjects in your catalog is refreshing indeed!  How do you go from a 56 Ford Pizza Delivery (which I absolutely love), to a multi engine sedan “Pole Delivery”, to a super sexy slippery slice of awesomeness like this?  As Mr. Boyd  eluded to already, we used to give high marks, and offer special awards in the old MPC series, for originality, because the sponsors were looking for ideas for new kits.  Your creativity is inspiring indeed!

Hi Tim!

There must be something with guy named Tim... Maybe the Styrene Fairy visited them in the crib? Who knows... Thank you for the kind words. 

As you know, scale modeling is a formidable way to explore ideas, concepts, and techniques... and still do no harm! Where else can you built strange things without raising the fear of a paying customer or Department of Transportation inspector? 

For a while, I had the chance to work with a very creative and successful comedy writer. He was always coming up with bits that we did not expect. Pressed on it, he would say: "It's easy, when everebody is staring in one direction, I force myself to look the other way. So, I'm just the first to notice something that's in plain sight". I cannot claim his mastery of that technique, but I try to give it a shot as often as I can. 

That may explain some of my experiments...

CT

Well we can't say that you like shortcuts my friend...   Why keep the engine in the engine compartment when the trunk is big enough to move it there?  Just ask to Claude and you get the answer and what an answer...!   Another vision that only you can have my friend, you really put your motto into action: "fun with styrene"...   Maybe you are starting to get too inspired by the glue fumes?

It is now part of the new SRT family which translates to: Super Radical Transportation!  Bravo! ?

1 hour ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Well we can't say that you like shortcuts my friend...   Why keep the engine in the engine compartment when the trunk is big enough to move it there?  Just ask to Claude and you get the answer and what an answer...!   Another vision that only you can have my friend, you really put your motto into action: "fun with styrene"...   Maybe you are starting to get too inspired by the glue fumes?

It is now part of the new SRT family which translates to: Super Radical Transportation!  Bravo! ?

Hi Francis!

See, you start to have an influence on me... I find myself building Mopars more and more. I even have a real 1970 Challenger 440 6-Pack under resto in my garage.

Besides, I always wondered what SRT meant... Now I know! Thanks.

CT

1 hour ago, speedy5963 said:

This is sweet!  I like the design and style you ended with in this build, everywhere you look it all ties in great!!

Hi Paul!

Thanks for your comments.

My only aftertought is: should I had enlarged the rear wheels openings, raising it higher? The whole car might have seemed less heavy...

Next time maybe!

CT 

17 minutes ago, Perspective Customs said:

Awesome awesome awesome. I don't think the wheels compliment the rest of the build, maybe something staggered, deep dish in the rear, but still awesome awesome awesome.

Hi Jay!

Thank you for the comments.

To your point about the wheels: I agree! I much prefer deeper wheels, But the Jag XK220 IRS was too wide for that. That explains why I settled for more "contemporary" late model, high offset wheels, alas... The only other option would have been to flare/widen the rear quarters... But I felt it deterred too much from the original design. 

CT

On 1/25/2021 at 11:40 AM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Paul!

Thanks for your comments.

My only aftertought is: should I had enlarged the rear wheels openings, raising it higher? The whole car might have seemed less heavy...

Next time maybe!

CT 

I can see what your saying, didnt think of that while looking at it last night...either way, outstanding build!