Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Charger rear-engined late Hemi Pro-Touring Concept

Claude Thibodeau

7 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Impressed with the concept, and execution.  I know you spent a few hours.  The door operates like the Koenigsegg?

Hi Kurt!

Thank you. The structure of the door has a tube that enters and slide under de dash. You first pull it out, and then swing it up, out of the way. I looked at the Revell Uptown Chrysler 300 kit's pivot mechanism, but it was too bulky, and would have left a gaping hole at the front of the door jamb. So, I duplicated a system that I once used on a 1/1 car to do just as on this charger, powered by an electric actuator.

Of course, the Charger unit is "finger powered"...

CT

DSC01048 (2).JPG

DSC01067 (2).JPG

DSC01059 (2).JPG

1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Kurt!

Thank you. The structure of the door has a tube that enters and slide under de dash. You first pull it out, and then swing it up, out of the way. I looked at the Revell Uptown Chrysler 300 kit's pivot mechanism, but it was too bulky, and would have left a gaping hole at the front of the door jamb. So, I duplicated a system that I once used on a 1/1 car to do just as on this charger, powered by an electric actuator.

Of course, the Charger unit is "finger powered"...

CT [...]

Thank you for the explanation. ?

5 hours ago, michelle said:

did you do any mods to the grille 

Hi Michelle!

Not, not really. I used black wash to highlight the grille motifs, and some red ink on the R/T badge, but that's it. The real action is at the back of the grille, where I glued the hidden hinge system to the grille itself. The hood and grille were then glued in place as a unit. Took more time, but allows for a smooth projection of the hood when opened. 

CT

DSC01044 (3).JPG

DSC01051 (2).JPG

2 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Michelle!

Not, not really. I used black wash to highlight the grille motifs, and some red ink on the R/T badge, but that's it. The real action is at the back of the grille, where I glued the hidden hinge system to the grille itself. The hood and grille were then glued in place as a unit. Took more time, but allows for a smooth projection of the hood when opened. 

CT

DSC01044 (3).JPG

DSC01051 (2).JPG

cool  i  was wondring why  you had not  posted a front   shot  of  it   with other pics  you posted  and was curious  if uou might have had  the headlights fliped  open   or  some other   mod  that would have been different   

Holy smokes! This must be how the cavemen felt when the aliens visited. You’re up there zipping around in some unfathomable technology and I’m smashing rocks together trying to build a fire. All BS aside, just incredible, Claude. Wildly imaginative and flawlessly executed!

7 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

Definately NOT my style but the workmanship and quality work is unbelievable..Excellent execution on something you'd never expect from a 69 Charger..This will be one that won't be forgotten..Should be a stand out at shows when your able to go to shows..FANTASTIC build..

Thank you Wayne!

I had this Charger for years, and I was always looking for something different to do with it. I was certainly inspired by a model our fellow modelist Kerry Ingram (a.k.a. Dr Kerry) had done many moons ago: a Charger with a narrowed "cockpit"  roof, and a "passenger-seat" mounted engine. Kerry was kind enough to share some pictures about it, and away I went... 

If my model can spark just half as-much interest as his did back then, it will be flattering!

CT 

2 hours ago, BeakDoc said:

Holy smokes! This must be how the cavemen felt when the aliens visited. You’re up there zipping around in some unfathomable technology and I’m smashing rocks together trying to build a fire. All BS aside, just incredible, Claude. Wildly imaginative and flawlessly executed!

Hi Chris!

Thank you for the humour.

To your point, ever noticed that the sci-fi movies always fail to mention the AGE of the invaders? Probably old guys like me. That may explain their machinery, eh? Who knows...

CT 

45 minutes ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

I´m usually not a great fan fan of scissor doors but hey totally fit to the overall concept of this Charger, which is so coooooooooool...!!!!

Super work! At least those doors  are on a model!

A buddy of mine did a lot of tacky JC Whitney type upgrades on his PT Cruiser.. one of them was scissor doors. He had to be very careful exiting the car, otherwise he could get clocked in the head with the door! 

1 hour ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

I´m usually not a great fan fan of scissor doors but hey totally fit to the overall concept of this Charger, which is so coooooooooool...!!!!

Hi Oliver!

Thank you for the comments.

Truth be told, I'm not either...  Regular hinges were impractical, because the rear engine compartment required a sorter cabin (moving the seats forward a smidge), and the front door jamb would have intruded too much in the footwell... And suicide doors hidden hinges interfered with the headers and turbo pipes set-up. So, it was either no opening doors, or scissor type. My decision allowed me to show more of the interior details, ultimately, since both doors are operational. 

CT

47 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Super work! At least those doors  are on a model!

A buddy of mine did a lot of tacky JC Whitney type upgrades on his PT Cruiser.. one of them was scissor doors. He had to be very careful exiting the car, otherwise he could get clocked in the head with the door! 

Hi Tom!

Thank you for your remarks. I guess that peril explains why those doors are mostly used on so-called "tuner cars", the domain of predominantly young and agile drivers?

CT 

1 minute ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Tom!

Thank you for your remarks. I guess that peril explains why those doors are mostly used on so-called "tuner cars", the domain of predominantly young and agile drivers?

CT 

Yes!  With their girlfriends cursing them!  ?

Once someone asked why Chuck smacked himself on the door.. a friend of ours said, “Because he deserves it for putting the doors on that poor PT!”