Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pontiac Fiero

Just Jim

Remembered starting to build one of these as a kid but couldn’t remember finishing it. About ½ way through this one I realized why. Very few things fit the way they should. Putting it together was quite the challenge. I would have never had the patience to rework all the parts in my youth so I’m sure it got sidelined never to be revisited. However, I was determined to persist this time around and feel it turned out pretty well.

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Sweet!  You've done a top notch job on a demanding kit . . . and, maybe, a bit of inspiration  

Bought a new Fiero SE when they first came out and, despite all the negative stories, it was a terrific little car – at least mine was -- got almost 140k miles out of it before letting it go.   In 1985 I got this same kit and, to this day, I’ve never finished the model – just too fiddly and ill-fitting.  But after seeing your splendid model, I’m re-thinking . . .

i remember trying to buy one of these used at 17. my parents wouldnt let me because the 4 cylinder one had caught fire. the one i wanted was the 6 cylinder, but that didnt matter to them 

nice build. it really brings back memories

Edited by youpey

Just now, youpey said:

i remember trying to buy one of these used at 17. my parents wouldnt let me because the 4 cylinder one had caught fire. the one i wanted was the 6 cylinder, but that didnt matter to them 

I saw on me on fire on the side of the road once. 

Cool model Jim. Nice paint choice. Would be nice if AMT could break out this old mold. 

6 minutes ago, youpey said:

nice build. it really brings back memories

I almost bought one back in 1990, an '85 SE with the V6 and stick. Nice car, but it drove like the clutch was always engaged. Still like the look of them, though.

Just now, 64Comet404 said:

I almost bought one back in 1990, an '85 SE with the V6 and stick. Nice car, but it drove like the clutch was always engaged. Still like the look of them, though.

the one i was looking at was an 85 gt, v6 with a stick. it was a long time ago, but i think it was red.

I had the privilege to drive several Fieros for a month or two, three years in a row.  I was an official of the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb and Pontiac was a major sponsor. They provided us with a Pace Car and a couple of dozen replicas to drive around as promotion for the race. I had one every year, sometimes two (I also handled loan-outs for certain VIPs).

Each year, the Fieros got better and better. They were a hoot to drive and the turbo Fiero was a rocket.

The last year for Fiero, GM/Pontiac brought a super-tuned, super-hot turbo V-6 Fiero for the Pace Car. Unfortunately, they didn't allow me (or anyone other than the GM engineers and the professional driver) to drive it.  Just as well. The production cars were fast enough!!!

Sweet little cars, but very little room inside. You didn't so much get in as you put them on, like a space suit or a wet suit.

??