Model Cars Magazine Forum

Weird and annoying ads

Venom

Thought this ad was a bit annoying. It has a poo shoot... seems to make a girl less attractive... and the fact that you have to buy two just to get 30% off the third one... Kind of desperate marketing

...and is that Betty “Poop” there on the backside? Uuuh? ...And what kind of a name is Clothmyths anyway?554D9EEE-73A9-4E18-B39F-BEDD543309BF.png.ddac39d8051e616dc861cc7d35b16e4a.png

Just now, Venom said:

...And why do they still bother saying $399?... doesn’t everyone realize that it’s $400?

And every price, no matter how high or low, has to be preceded by "Just!" or "Only!"  These words now have no commercial meaning whatsoever. :lol:

You want to get started on ads? I'm annoyed by most and try to entertain myself at the same time. Lowest prices of the season, lowest prices EVER, friends and family discount, this weekend only (really, no other weekends) and most sales are preceded with a name as if this makes them better. Y'know, Memorial Day, Presidents Day, July 4th, etc. These are just the print ads. Television is even worse with stupid visual antics and yelling or loud noise. Yeah, that's gonna make me want to pay attention as I hit the mute button.

The insurance ads are the most annoying...if I ever run into that gecko, he's going to end up as a green smear on the pavement.  

Everyone is going to save you $700 per year on auto insurance.  I figure that by the time I switch from State Farm to Geico, Geico to Allstate, Allstate to Liberty, then back to State Farm, they'll start sending me checks every month.  

8 minutes ago, Mark said:

Everyone is going to save you $700 per year on auto insurance. 

I jumped through the hoops to get a quote from GEICO once. Their quote was $700 more than I was paying Erie, who, interestingly, doesn't spend several hundred million dollars a year advertising. :blink:

30 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I jumped through the hoops to get a quote from GEICO once. Their quote was $700 more than I was paying Erie, who, interestingly, doesn't spend several hundred million dollars a year advertising. :blink:

I don't know if they still do it, but years ago I read about a program where GEICO gave grants to little speed trap towns, to upgrade their radar equipment.  More tickets written, GEICO gets to raise insurance rates.  I figure that if they've got money for deals like that, they don't need any of mine.

I've been an ad creator for 20+ years and when in radio I used to be amused at how many clients want their ads to say, "...for all your (blank) needs." "XYZ vacuums for all your vacuum needs," etc. My favorites were, "...XYZ Forklift, for all your forklift needs" and the all time winner "ABC Abstracting, for all your abstracting needs."

I kept a list hanging on a cabinet that we all contributed to as they crossed our desks.

I get a magazine through the mail called clipper about once a month. The advertise local home improvement, restaurants, etc. Last May around Cinco di Maya, a Mexican restaurant was advertising it's menu. Included in the ad was this phrase, "Made by authentic Mexicans", not fake ones, these were the real McCoy. It's wrong on so many levels.  

13 minutes ago, Chuckyg1 said:

I get a magazine through the mail called clipper about once a month. The advertise local home improvement, restaurants, etc. Last May around Cinco di Maya, a Mexican restaurant was advertising it's menu. Included in the ad was this phrase, "Made by authentic Mexicans", not fake ones, these were the real McCoy. It's wrong on so many levels.  

I guess Alec Baldwin's wife does not work there.  

??

I see the ads on this board on my phone. Lotsa girly ads, clothing, bras etc.  No doubt their algorithm picks up on “model”. 

The TV commercial that gets my goat.. it’s for a mail order pharmacy.. “I order my birth control from my couch!” With a couple of less than attractive women that you’d figure wouldn’t need birth control! 

49 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I see the ads on this board on my phone. Lotsa girly ads, clothing, bras etc.  No doubt their algorithm picks up on “model”. 

The TV commercial that gets my goat.. it’s for a mail order pharmacy.. “I order my birth control from my couch!” With a couple of less than attractive women that you’d figure wouldn’t need birth control! 

They are just trying to appeal to ordinary average people (not to just attractive super-models).  There is usually a man for every woman, and vice-versa. :)

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Hahaha! Algorithm picking up on “ model” , never thought of that, and it’s so true! What an observation! Plus, now I know how to spell algorithm... Thanks?

The ones that really get me are all the pharmaceutical ads on tv where you hear the person reading off an entire list of horrible side effects while happy music plays and it’s showing people having a blast... one of the side effects that seems to eclipse all others is the one where they say, “may cause suicidal thoughts or actions”.... Okay, so isn’t a suicedal action actually suicide???... So, if I’m picking up on this right, it’s like walking down the street and finding a briefcase that says in big words, “opening this briefcase might make you kill yourself”.... Are you going to open the briefcase? ...Why????

The ones that just drive me batshift crazy are the stupid half-man/half-motorcycle ads. How idiotic. How stooopit!  Sheeesh.  That's one of those things that one would have been more than enough, but, NO!  They have to drive it into the ground. IF I had a bike, I'd never buy their asinine insurance. 

Otherwise, I really don't have an opinion about it.  ?

??

5 minutes ago, Danno said:

The ones that just drive me batshift crazy are the stupid half-man/half-motorcycle ads. How idiotic. How stooopit!  Sheeesh.  That's one of those things that one would have been more than enough, but, NO!  They have to drive it into the ground. IF I had a bike, I'd never buy their asinine insurance. 

??

This is making me think of a particular South Park episode where a lot of, um, guys were riding their choppers around.

And another thing!  All these pharma ads where they say . . . "go get this medicine, but tell your doctor if you've had a lobotomy" . . . or "go get this medicine, but tell your doctor if your heart doesn't work."  ?

I mean, c'mon!  

1. You don't just 'take this medicine' or 'go get this medicine' without your doctor being involved in the first place! These are prescription drugs and your cat isn't going to prescribe them for you!! 

2. Shouldn't your doctor ALREADY know if you've had open heart surgery or something like that?  ?

AND, then my all-time favorite (I think) is the one where they say "Take Feebleditzerglumperwhik for recurring heartburn, but don't take it if you are alergic to Feebleditzerglumperwhik."   Duh! Ya think???  ?

I think I'm getting worked up again. I gotta go take some heartburn medicine.

??

Yes, "don't take this medication if you are allergic to it, or any of its ingredients"!  Duh!  How would you know that if you have not yet taken that medication?  It is silly and stupid, but the lawyers make them put those disclaimers in.  We live in a litigious society.

Or the ones which "might cause severe reaction including death"! ? Really? Do I really want to even consider asking my doctor for this medication?  Or the ones that might cause "severe infections of my perineum"?   Look that up. Why specifically in that area?! No thanks!

And why are drug companies push their wares to general public?  This stuff is  something only doctors should see.  I know, this way the drug companies are hoping to make more money by having patients ask for their meds (as seen on TV).  What a crazy world we live in (and it is not going to get any better). :wacko:

8 hours ago, Danno said:

??

Dan, the first time I saw this commercial I told my wife it was strange and disturbing on many levels.. know they have him on a treadmill...

Glad to see I'm not the only one who observes all these commercials the same way the rest of you do.

The half man/half motorcycle dude has an attitude in all the commercials and I don't see how that appeals to anyone.

I have never "asked" my doctor about a particular drug I saw on tv. I trust he knows what's best for me. And I've always wondered what exactly is in these drugs that would make you want to kill yourself?

And I've never understood advertising a drug I can't go down to the store and buy. Seems to be a waste of money. Oh, and sometimes they throw out "see our ad in Golf magazine" or some-such thing. Why? You just showed it to me on the tv.