Model Cars Magazine Forum

Weird and annoying ads

Venom

Per drug commercials.. competition for customers is fierce and there are always competing products for the same ailment.

All pharmaceutical companies have a sales force that goes out to “educate” doctors as to why theirs is the one.  And the TV commercials is the next level deep. 

People get more involved in picking their meds today because of it. Doctor can have you on a Tier 1 generic that’s either free or $5-10 depending on your plan and where you shop.  Or they’re on a Merck product that they are paying dearly for.

People will see the commercials for a new Pfizer drug for same issue and will ask doctor about it. In my experience doctor’s go along with patients requests as long as they don’t see it as harmful to that patient, even if they want to pay more. 

Ive had doctors try to put me on a name brand drug that would’ve cost me $100 a month. I pushed back and demanded a generic. He went with it but watched my tests for any adverse affects.

As far as the ridiculous warnings on commercials.. that’s the government at work. Every drug will affect somebody adversely.  

1 hour ago, slusher said:

The new MS medicine that they keep advertising has a chance for for Cancer. We’ll help your MS but run the risk of malignancies. 

So does every paint, every cement, and every solvent I use in my modelmaking. I guess I'm living dangerously. Oh well, you gotta live your life. 

A certain popular video hosting site is rampant with ads ---- ads to the point where I yell at my phone or desktop ---- ads which ruin the flow of whatever I'm watching ---- ads for products which I will go out of my way to AVOID purchasing .

The ones which I , um , encounter on this forum are oftentimes completely UN-related to anything I'm perusing on here . 

I agree with the sentiment that , Fill-in-the-blank-insurance-company-spends-an-incredible-amount-of-their-budget-on-asinine-ads . These same clowns fill the mailboxes every week ( I , too , want to hurt that stupid lizard thing ! ) with their tripe ; with landfill fodder . At least the plastic Save $100 NOW ! card-type mailers are good for use as putty-spreaders .

I feel for the ones whom grew up during the transitional period , for they experienced freedom from bombardment advertising , then had to acquiesce to getting maced with ads at every turn . 

Then , there's the whole Pay to NOT have to get violated with ad nauseam ads !  sign up "offers" . It's money to be had which used to be covered by sponsors --- now it's money from sponsors AND money from those whom want to avoid being visually and aurally assaulted .  

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

So does every paint, every cement, and every solvent I use in my modelmaking. I guess I'm living dangerously. Oh well, you gotta live your life. 

Your absolutely right, but I not wanting to take an extra chance on an I.V. drug that can cause tumors.

22 hours ago, slusher said:

Now we have little televisions in our gas pumps with ads and the volumes are loud and annoying..

Yeah, GasStationTV!  Super annoying!   Some (but not all) stations allow muting the sound by hitting the keys on the sides of the screen. .Sometimes you can press the same key repeatedly, sometimes you have to press more then one key. Just try pressing multiple keys to mute the sound.

The UrinalTV is just too much!  I feel like I'm being attacked when I'm at my most vulnerable.  That has crossed the line! If I see one of those I might just pee in the sink instead!

12 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I checked them out. Very few 1/24 cars of any kind. No bargains that I saw. 

Very true.  I never  understood the 1/18 scale obsession but I suppose when you look at very detailed 1/24 diecast cars like Danbury Mint made the level of detail was comparable or better to the pricier 1/18 by Exoto, Autoart etc..  I suppose making the smaller scales take more time on the assembly line but these days the choices of diecast in 1/24 remind of some of the earlier 1/18 Stuff from Ertl - just okay and lacking in many finer details and painting enhancements but I guess that where adding SkakeFu ? comes in and you end up with a one of a kind better looking model for relatively low cost.

4 hours ago, Venom said:

Okay, the GT350 is more like it...looks good? But still makes me wonder why they chose that little red Mustang, such a poor representation.

I know.  Looks like something from a ten pack of no name cars at Walmart for $5.  It’s interesting as it look like an early 2000’s Mustang with side scoops but is not a Mach1 (no shaker hood scoop).  Their ad person should be fired as I would see the ad and think no thanks you.

The click-baiters are at it again, pimping out our beloved Jungle Pam. Just saw these two, right next to each other. One said "Photoshop Didn't Exist Then, So These Are Real," and the other was "13 Top Secret Photos the Government Had to Release." I am not making this up. 

And I can guarantee you that if you click on those stories and click through all 75 or whatever pictures, there will be nothing about Jungle Pam in either story. :angry:

JunglePam02.jpg.c199d18f03ac071c75c959f175976b0c.jpg                JunglePam03.jpg.a1e55c7797747a36703ba4ec038c692e.jpg

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

And I can guarantee you that if you click on those stories and click through all 75 or whatever pictures, there will be nothing about Jungle Pam in either story. :angry:

Wow!... I just read all about her and Jim at journeyranger.com. I never knew about these two although I had seen the Jungle Jim cars before. What an amazing duo... and a very sad end to their dynamite time in the limelight.

27 minutes ago, Venom said:

Wow!... I just read all about her and Jim at journeyranger.com. I never knew about these two although I had seen the Jungle Jim cars before. What an amazing duo... and a very sad end to their dynamite time in the limelight.

I believe they were from Malvern, PA, which is a town or two over from me. Last I knew Pam was still out there at car events signing pix of the ta-ta’s.   ?

6 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I believe they were from Malvern, PA, which is a town or two over from me. Last I knew Pam was still out there at car events signing pix of the ta-ta’s.   ?

I think JJ lived somewhere in the West Chester PA area. He's buried there, at any rate.