Model Cars Magazine Forum

Usps is horrible these days

youpey

I ordered stuff from Illinois to nj thst was shipped jan 3rd. It was only delivered today,  jan 20.

I had ordered something last month that took 30 days, from the usa.

I had something that was shipped within the state as a 2 day shipment, and it took 8 or 9 days.

At this point I guess i will only buy stuff that ships fedex or usps.

I had some long delays in December, but I think everything I sent and was sent to me has arrived. They seem to be catching up. 

My check to the electric company in December never arrived, though, and I had to make a double payment for January. 

2 hours ago, youpey said:

I ordered stuff from Illinois to nj thst was shipped jan 3rd. It was only delivered today,  jan 20.

NJ postal operations has been especially hard hit by Covid. I have a relative who works at one of the six sort centers here and he said a lot of folks have been out. Some got Covid and he knows a few who died. 

He has been out on two different 14 day quarantine periods in 2020. They are very shorthanded and there is OT offered but nobody working it as they all come in for their shifts but want to limit their overall exposure.

I mailed a package from Phillie burbs last Thursday to Berkeley Heights NJ and forecast to be delivered by Tuesday. It arrived on Saturday so some things are getting through. The other package I mailed at same time to Pittsburgh area got there today.

I had a package sent from Cincinnati on the 8th of January, it arrived this morning, looking at the tracking online, I looks like it was sitting at the UK customs in London for a few days,  before Covid i would receive packages from the ?? in around 5-7 days, I really can't complain about there international service. 

I'm waiting on a package going on 35 days now. Allentown PA to southwestern Ontario which typically arrives in 7  days. Once it was accepted by USPS (the actual package, not merely the shipping info.) it didn't move from the originating PO for over 3 weeks. Only this week did it make it to the border. It's half way here.

Edited by imarriedawitch

Sent a package usps on Dec. 28th to our grandson at Ft Leonard Wood Mo. from Northern IL..

On Jan. 1st tracking showed it was in  Kansas City Ks. Departed there on Jan. 14th delivered the 18th.

So it sat in Ks. City 2 weeks???

Sorry, no excuse.

Have a friend works in a sort center and he says a lot of the workers keep staying out because of "supposed" contact with people outside work that tested positive.

Says it has become an inside joke.

1 hour ago, imarriedawitch said:

I'm waiting on a package going on 35 days now. Allentown PA to southwestern Ontario which typically arrives in 7  days. Once it was accepted by USPS (the actual package, not merely the shipping info.) it didn't move from the originating PO for over 3 weeks. Only this week did it make it to the border. It's half way here.

Mail between Canada and US is totally hosed. A kit I ordered from Wheels & Wings sat in the transfer point between Canada Post & USPS for at least a week. Ordered the Hockey News NHL Yearbook (basically a magazine) almost a month ago and it too is stuck at the transfer point. And I paid extra for expidited shipping. I get stuff from Australia and the UK faster.

Edited by vintagerpm

One thing the Postmaster General wanted to do was send trucks (big rigs, not local vehicles) from location to location on schedule, even if they were almost empty. The employes wantd to wait until a truck was full. The employees won. So when your tracking says "in transit" for days or weeks on end, it means its sitting in a trailor in a parking lot waiting for more mail to be loaded.

2 hours ago, vintagerpm said:

One thing the Postmaster General wanted to do was send trucks (big rigs, not local vehicles) from location to location on schedule, even if they were almost empty. The employes wantd to wait until a truck was full. The employees won. So when your tracking says "in transit" for days or weeks on end, it means its sitting in a trailor in a parking lot waiting for more mail to be loaded.

Well - that explains a lot.  Some letters have taken weeks instead of days.

We sent a firearm via USPS Priority mail from our shop in MA to a dealer in CT on December 2nd. It went to Springfield MA, then to NJ, and back and forth between NJ and Springfield 6 times, before it finally arrived where it belonged in CT on January 22nd. Yet, I ordered a bunch of resin items from KFS in England that was shipped from there on January 13th, and it arrived on the 19th. Amazing, totally amazing.

It makes no sense at all. Somethings are super-fast, other things are taking forever.

I sent two packages to the San Diego area back in mid-November. Mailed them the same day using the same method. One arrived in 11 days, the other arrived last week. I Google Mapped the addresses. They're about a 20 minute drive apart.