Model Cars Magazine Forum

Roden 1/35 1941 Packard, anybody have one?

ss2000

1 hour ago, ss2000 said:

I saw this 1/35 Packard on Ebay, never heard of Roden. Anybody have 1 to show?

Not yet, but thanks!  I didn't even know that was available in 1/35.  Gotta get one!

Roden's a Ukrainian model company.  They often do subjects nobody else has ever done in 1/35 scale, like the Dodge M-37 trucks and a whole series of Opel-Blitz WWII buses.  Their vehicle kits are FULLY detailed, with engines and chassis where everything is a separate part.  Their kit of the massive WWI Holt tractor drew some fire for missing/incorrect details.  But the only other way to get a Holt tractor was a very expensive resin kit.

On the Packard Clipper, I hope those fender skirts are separate parts and not molded to the body.  Those were usually left off in the field, as shown below on Eisenhower's Packard.  MacArthur's Clipper was air-conditioned and the A/C equipment took up most of the trunk.  Wonder if the Roden kit has that?

ike&pack.jpg

48 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Not yet, but thanks!  I didn't even know that was available in 1/35.  Gotta get one!

Roden's a Ukrainian model company.  They often do subjects nobody else has ever done in 1/35 scale, like the Dodge M-37 trucks and a whole series of Opel-Blitz WWII buses.  Their vehicle kits are FULLY detailed, with engines and chassis where everything is a separate part.  Their kit of the massive WWI Holt tractor drew some fire for missing/incorrect details.  But the only other way to get a Holt tractor was a very expensive resin kit.

On the Packard Clipper, I hope those fender skirts are separate parts and not molded to the body.  Those were usually left off in the field, as shown below on Eisenhower's Packard.  MacArthur's Clipper was air-conditioned and the A/C equipment took up most of the trunk.  Wonder if the Roden kit has that?

ike&pack.jpg

The link above shows all the parts.

3 hours ago, Classicgas said:

That's a must have.  We'll never see one in 1/25.

The good news:  there was a 1/24 scale '41 Packard Clipper done in resin, years ago. The bad news: it was done by TKM and is blob-tastic. I have one.  I started working on it, with the first job being removal of the molded-in fender skirts.  It's gone back and forth from the Shelf Of Shame a few times.

20 hours ago, Mike999 said:

ike&pack.jpg

thanks for info, how is the dodge m37 to build?

Oooh, that IS sweet!  Always like to see a military kit manufacturer's take on a car, and judging from both the precision and the way the front quarters are broken down, there's clearly an expectation grown-ups will be building this one.

Imho - and here's a rare qualification from me that this is indeed strictly an opinion - scale bigotry is simply immaterial.  Long as it's accurate and detailed (and especially an early '40s Packard Clipper!), I'll take it.  That machine has one of the most beautiful profiles ever stamped in steel.

?

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

10 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

ICM doing a 1/24th scale version of their 1/35th scale Packard like they have for their Model T's has been on my wishlist for some time. It's easy to see just how lovely of a kit it is like with the backing plate detail on the inner halves of the wheels. 

On 1/22/2021 at 3:24 PM, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Oooh, that IS sweet!  Always like to see a military kit manufacturer's take on a car, and judging from both the precision and the way the front quarters are broken down, there's clearly an expectation grown-ups will be building this one.

Imho - and here's a rare qualification from me that this is indeed strictly an opinion - scale bigotry is simply immaterial.  Long as it's accurate and detailed (and especially an early '40s Packard Clipper!), I'll take it.  That machine has one of the most beautiful profiles ever stamped in steel.

?

I can see people wanting to keep a consistent scale across their collection, though I do think the 1/25 vs 1/24 fuss is a little ridiculous.  However, for the longest time I bought and built 1/32, because that is where the subjects I wanted were.  I went to larger scales because the kits were nicer, but that, and the ICM Packard look pretty nice.  The multi piece bodies and near microscopic parts may require some care, but it's nothing insurmountable.  Car builders are used to plated parts and vinyl tires, but there are any number of ways to get that shiny metal finish now, and let's face it, painting whitewalls on vinyl is a pain.  The Clipper is beautiful, and they used that same style for 1942 through 1947.  There are some other car kits in 1/35 that look pretty nice, so I guess you just have to ask yourself, how wedded are you to 1/24-25?

On 1/23/2021 at 1:33 PM, stevez said:

Hope they upscale the 41 clipper. I did notice the main body is a 2 piecer.  Wish it wasn't. 

Based on how I've seen their kits go together, the seam almost disappears with proper gluing, which means a smidge extra glue, and let it bead a little, then sand it smooth. With a coat of filler primer, you'll never even see it.

This is one kit that needs to be done in 1/24-25. I've considered contacting ICM and asking them to move their Packard up to 1/24. The Opels and (especially) Model Ts demonstrated the market is there. I suspect the market for this would be, too. Everything from military to street rods to rep-stock to Classics builders will buy one. I may grab one of these just because.

Charlie Larkin

OK, who wants to take on this project?  A Packard Clipper converted into a 15-passenger limousine.  The Manhattan Project used it to haul scientists and VIP's around the Trinity Site at Los Alamos, NM.

In the black-and-white photo, that looks like another rare vehicle sitting beside the Packard - a Dodge Carryall.

2753767423_54a96aaa61.jpg

2753767735_ae7029ef3c.jpg

trinity-site2.jpg

Edited by Mike999

Yes, but they got it wrong. '42 Chevy sedan for comparison:

1830441199_42chevylosalamos2.jpg.fa6a9b586fd69c7de0140144fc583fe1.jpg

Cut out the extension, and it's really obvious; note the quarter windows behind the rear doors, which the Packard does not have:

1580769956_42chevylosalamos3.jpg.6bc29629764f54d9145cde4b9a095540.jpg

Whoever IDed it probably was not a car person. Not saying the Packard wasn't at Los Alamos; it just wasn't the car in that photo.