Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hubert Platt's 1970 Maverick

mustang1989

Ok folks......I'm gonna do it again.....only this time I don't think it's gonna take me a frickin' year to build it. 

I had a really good time with my Dyno Don Maverick build. True....there were some trying times involved but I think I've my process down on these cars now. I have another Jo-Han Maverick in the stash in glue bomb form. I found a spare unpainted body and hood on ebay so I picked it up so I could at least start fresh. I'm currently working on a 1/48 Messerschmitt Me-262 over in the "All The Rest" section here but am starting this thread and gathering parts along the way. One of the things that I DON'T have for this build is a suitable glass assy so I'll be looking for one of those. I was hoping to build a 429 car but Hubert Platt's Maverick reached out and grabbed my attention and it is equipped with a SOHC motor so......we'll be going with another one of those. My other hang up is that I only have a few reference photos for this car and would like some more references. If anybody has any I'd sure appreciate any help I could get in replicating this car.

I received the decal sheet yesterday in the mail:

The reference shots that I do have :

Edited by mustang1989

2 hours ago, Len Woodruff said:

Kool. Looking forward to the build.

Thanks Len! 

2 minutes ago, Force said:

Cool, I will follow this closely as it's an era I like.
But his name was Hubert wasn't it?

Glad to have you joinin' in Haken. Jeez.....you're right! Corrections made...just glad you caught that before it locked me out of the editing process and made myself look like a permanent doofus. spacer.png

Oh Joe your killing me here, I just got 2 sets of the Maverick decals from Slixx, I’m wanting to do this one also, so I’ll be following your build. Living in Georgia, I go by Summit once and a while and they had the Georgia Shaker on  display, so I snapped a couple pic’s, hope they help.

D144E319-18E6-4B14-9417-0F69F5AA270C.png

3187B59B-498C-49C4-845D-04140CA6037D.png

6AF95A6C-5FB0-42BF-BBFE-941DF23894D9.png

F2F6EC39-17E7-4D96-B896-2E63DA453052.png

185EC4FF-0C28-4696-AB17-98942E7BB027.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dragcarz said:

Oh Joe your killing me here, I just got 2 sets of the Maverick decals from Slixx, I’m wanting to do this one also, so I’ll be following your build. Living in Georgia, I go by Summit once and a while and they had the Georgia Shaker on  display, so I snapped a couple pic’s, hope they help.

Oh HELL yeah that helps!!! Dude!!!! Thank you a friggin' million Roger!!! 

11 hours ago, dragcarz said:

You are welcome, I wish I could have gotten some more details but it was on a revolving turntable. Someone needs to cast that grille without the park lamps......

Dude. Thanks for everything so far......really!! BTW....you're right about the grille. It would be nice if a blank grille was available. 

3 hours ago, Dragline said:

I'll be following this build for sure. What a community we have here. The guy needs pics and just like that BOOM!

Thanks Bob. This forum has an overwhelming amount of talent and good people. True there are a few that get a little "catty" but in the grande scheme of things...it's no biggie.

34 minutes ago, Keavdog said:

Oh man - I'd drive it!

Thanks for joinin' in John! Hell yeah!! I'd drive 'er too. lol 

I am glad to see you back with another project in this category Joe!

I know that you are a very good and a real enthusiast of scale models (including airplanes) but I met you here on the forum in the category "Drag Racing Models", so it's more natural for me to see you here if I can put it that way...  I love your newest project by the way!!!  ?

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 9:06 AM, chris chabre said:

Ill see what I have in my archives. Dads is 600 miles away now..Most guys would lose it if they saw his collection of material

Thanks for checking Chris. I'm going to try to piece together a third buildable kit for when I get done with this one.

On 1/23/2021 at 10:20 AM, TransAmMike said:

Looking forward to following this one as did the Nicholson car Joe. You sure have a "thing" for Mavs. 

Glad you're taggin' along Mike. Always had an eye for these cars.

On 1/24/2021 at 10:00 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I am glad to see you back with another project in this category Joe!

I know that you are a very good and a real enthusiast of scale models (including airplanes) but I met you here on the forum in the category "Drag Racing Models", so it's more natural for me to see you here if I can put it that way...  I love your newest project by the way!!!  ?

Glad to have you along as well Francis! I bounce back and forth between automotive and aircraft.

On 1/25/2021 at 8:38 AM, slusher said:

Joe, getting another killer build lined up brother.. You know I’m on board!

Always glad to have you along Carl! 

Your last Maverick was a very cool project. I’ll be watching this one also. I have a mint Johan 70 Maverick Stock/ Funnycar, but I’d like to get another Maverick that is a bit more less expensive to build. The long time you put into the other car, definitely shows, and was well worth the effort. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 6:11 PM, Nazz said:

Looks like another great Maverick in the works. Can't wait to see how this one turns out!

Jerry

Thanks Jerry! 

On 2/3/2021 at 6:29 PM, Brutalform said:

Your last Maverick was a very cool project. I’ll be watching this one also. I have a mint Johan 70 Maverick Stock/ Funnycar, but I’d like to get another Maverick that is a bit more less expensive to build. The long time you put into the other car, definitely shows, and was well worth the effort. 

Thank you for your comments as well Tom. Do you have that kit that can be built as a stock or drag version with the blue Maverick in the foreground on the box cover? 

Snagged up my chassis donor kit a few days ago.....

s-l1000.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

1 hour ago, mustang1989 said:

Thanks Jerry! 

Thank you for your comments as well Tom. Do you have that kit that can be built as a stock or drag version with the blue Maverick in the foreground on the box cover? 

Snagged up my chassis donor kit a few days

Yes. That be the one...

Sealed inside. 

BB800E15-F9D9-4872-BC80-75CF57FEE7CC.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform

There is one like it on the bay right now currently at $83, with 21 bids on it, and five more days to go. It’s box is beat up, but appears to be complete. If the box was in better shape, I can see it easily fetching $175 to $200. 

Edited by Brutalform

36 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

There is one like it on the bay right now currently at $83, with 21 bids on it, and five more days to go. It’s box is beat up, but appears to be complete. If the box was in better shape, I can see it easily fetching $175 to $200. 

That's what I thought. I actually added that listing to my watch list already. I'll snag it up if it doesn't go too high.