Model Cars Magazine Forum

FSM - The Automotive Content Thread

Here’s a thread that subscribers to FSM (by default or not) can post, following each issue, a brief and simple outline of the car and truck related content that may be of interest to us. 

If the article’s title and/or description interests anyone, the individual might want to make a trip to the hobby shop to browse.

As a baseline, We should filter the magazine’s content by asking the question “Would this article be included in SA, if it were still around?” Granted, there may not be a whole lot of content meeting that criteria in each issue.

We can also post any automotive-related special issues, annuals, and miscellaneous  car and truck content published by Kalmbach during the post Scale Auto era.

Assuming the mods are OK with this info and link(and please delete if not), there is also automotive content that would have otherwise appeared in the mag now being posted online at Finescale.com.  

The specific example was a feature column in the other mag for about the last 8 years called "Classic Kits". 

It will be continued during 2021 on the website (but will not appear in the print Fine Scale Modeler magazine).  Here is the link to the next episode: 

Remembering the Revell 1/25 scale Dual Jewel Twin V8 Roadster scale model classic car kit | FineScale Modeler Magazine 

Best regards....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

You never cease to amaze me, Tim.  I have that kit in my collection - someone just walked up to me and handed it to me one day.  To be honest, I'm not sure I have even opened the box!  I had no idea there were so many changes.  Gotta go and have a look now!

Cheers

Alan

Interesting that the automotive content in Fine Scale Modeler was greater back in 1981 when it first came out, but as the years went by and new editors who personally were plane or military modelers, the automotive content declined to nothing. In about 6 years, except for a sporadic "mistake," it had become a military modelers magazine and I dropped my charter subscription.  It has been decades since I bought a copy.  And when my current subscription expires later this year, I won't renew.  But since 1947., Model Railroader Magazine hasn't missed a copy, or changed format, and it's also owned by Kalmbach and has always had a model railroader as its editor.

I was in my local Hobby Shop yesterday for some supplies. They had the newest issue along with the past issue on their magazine rack. After looking through the latest issue I still feel I was correct to not renew my subscription. That said I can see where this would be a great magazine for a builder with a far broader modeling interest than myself. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to give a shout out to FSM.  I was already a subscriber to FSM and Scale Auto.  When Scale Auto went down they converted to FSM and I started getting duplicate issues.  An email to their customer service department quickly resolved the issue and they extended my sub to FSM as well.  The last couple of issues have had some car oriented stories and interesting stories on new paints as well.  I'm not big on figures or spaceships but there are many tips on weathering and metal finishing that are quite interesting.  I'm expecting the car content to increase over time and I'm happy to have a print mag in my hands.

The latest, all-new "Classic Kits" column has just been posted at the FineScale website "Extras" section

Rediscover the Heller 1/24 scale Lotus 49 Formula One race car | FineScale Modeler Magazine

Unlike much of their website automotive coverage, this content can be accessed free by all, not just Fine Scale Modeler subscribers.   As mentioned in my earlier post above, this info is provided assuming the Board Moderators are OK with this info and link (and they are welcome to delete it if this is no longer the case).  

Best regards....TIM

11 hours ago, keyser said:

Thats a great kit too. 49 was stellar race car. Phillipe deL'espinay was US importer of Gotti wheels too. Got a couple sets from him for1:1 cars. He had a great Renault 5 Turbo 1. blue with red, the all alloy ones. 

Did not know that about the Gotti wheels....cool info.   Have you ever been to his slot car racing museum in LA?  I have not, but I hear it is a highly impressive setup.....TIM 

On 2/9/2021 at 2:51 PM, tim boyd said:

The latest, all-new "Classic Kits" column has just been posted at the FineScale website "Extras" section

Rediscover the Heller 1/24 scale Lotus 49 Formula One race car | FineScale Modeler Magazine

Hey, I just finished building that car last year (make sure you scroll down for the pics): 

March issue: Eight pages on building a somewhat improved Revell Starsky & Hutch Torino.  The subject matter did nothing for me, and I didn't learn anything from the build how-tos, but in fairness this would probably be a pretty good article for the experienced aircraft, armor, starship, or monster modeler contemplating building their very first model car. 

No car kit reviews (or reviews of any other kits, for that matter).  Couple interesting (to me) airplane builds. 

27 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

March issue: Eight pages on building a somewhat improved Revell Starsky & Hutch Torino.  The subject matter did nothing for me, and I didn't learn anything from the build how-tos, but in fairness this would probably be a pretty good article for the experienced aircraft, armor, starship, or monster modeler contemplating building their very first model car. 

No car kit reviews (or reviews of any other kits, for that matter).  Couple interesting (to me) airplane builds. 

Few recent issues of FSM seem to have fewer and fewer pages, and only couple of printed reviews.  They point to their website for more reviews.  Well, the reason I get a paper version is that I want to see the reviews in print.  I wrote a letter to the editor about this reduced coverage in print, but I did not receive a response (not I expect one).  While I have subscribed to FSM for over 30 years, I do not appreciate the slow slimming of its contents.  I might just drop it when my subscription expires later this year.  But this move to digital versions of printed media seems unstoppable. Too bad . . .

Edited by peteski

37 minutes ago, peteski said:

Few recent issues of FSM seem to have fewer and fewer pages, and only couple of printed reviews.  They point to their website for more reviews.  Well, the reason I get a paper version is that I want to see the reviews in print.  I wrote a letter to the editor about this reduced coverage in print, but I did not receive a response (not I expect one).  While I have subscribed to FSM for over 30 years, I do not appreciate the slow slimming of its contents.  I might just drop it when my subscription expires later this year.  But this move to digital versions of printed media seems unstoppable. Too bad . . .

I saw an interview with the owner/CEO of Kalmbach, and he said he wanted to move the company in more of a digital direction and slowly get away from print - so the increase in the number of reviews on the website versus in the magazine makes sense

I get it. Digital is the thing now and can't be stopped but I hate it. For years now I've pointed out my desire for printed magazines. Every night when I go to bed I read for awhile and a laptop is not gonna work. The convenience for me to bring a magazine to read when my car is being serviced, waiting for someone while they're in the doctors office, store, airport (not anymore) etc. Has always worked for me but guess I'll be left behind and I'm willing to pay for the subscription if it needs to be an increased cost to a point.

37 minutes ago, TonyK said:

The convenience for me to bring a magazine to read when my car is being serviced, waiting for someone while they're in the doctors office, store, airport (not anymore) etc. 

There it is. There have been very few times since I was about 8 years old that I've left home without a book or several magazines to read. I have a low threshold of boredom. 

12 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I saw an interview with the owner/CEO of Kalmbach, and he said he wanted to move the company in more of a digital direction and slowly get away from print - so the increase in the number of reviews on the website versus in the magazine makes sense

And there you have it.  Those in the power do not care what their customers/constituents want, they only care what is convenient for themselves and will make themselves the maximum amount of return on investment.  "Let them eat cake."

🌵😎

3 hours ago, Danno said:

And there you have it.  Those in the power do not care what their customers/constituents want, they only care what is convenient for themselves and will make themselves the maximum amount of return on investment.  "Let them eat cake."

🌵😎

I want my magazines on paper maybe it’s just me.

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:
  7 hours ago, TonyK said:

The convenience for me to bring a magazine to read when my car is being serviced, waiting for someone while they're in the doctors office, store, airport (not anymore) etc. 

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

There it is. There have been very few times since I was about 8 years old that I've left home without a book or several magazines to read. I have a low threshold of boredom. 

While I prefer print to peruse, I must admit that having my big screen phone handy does make it easier to read magazines just about anywhere/anytime without having to carry around extra stuff. An added bonus is that I must admit that digital, when done right, allows me to see the items better, with the ability to zoom in on the details etc. That being said, I felt that Kalmbach's digital format was not high enough resolution, and when I attempted to zoom it, it just got blurry. 

21 hours ago, slusher said:

I want my magazines on paper maybe it’s just me.

No, it's not just you. I, too, prefer something I can hold in my glue encrusted hands. I'm glad I have my back issue stash of Model Cars, Car Modeler, SAE, and Car Model magazines.